1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

How This Light Silliness Started

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by xbanker, Mar 18, 2012.

1. xbanker
    • Administrator

xbanker Geriatric Admin
    Staff Member

Today, EDCF'r sveqs and I were discussing the improved performance of today's small, single-cell flashlights. In true sveqs fashion, his assessment of the Maglite Solitaire, which came up in the discussion: "That thing is about as bright as a burning cigarette :))"

That reminded me of my first "serious" light, the Mag Solitaire, purchased over 20-years ago, and carried on my keychain for years. Then graduated to the Streamlight Key Mate, then to a CMG-Government and later to an ARC-P. Still have 'em all (photo). Who says flashlight nuts aren't sentimental!?

[​IMG]

2. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

I just happened across this, so let me be the first to say...what?
    lol

3. xbanker
    • Administrator

xbanker Geriatric Admin
    Staff Member

Sorry, got itchy trigger finger and hit SEND just a tad too early. Either that, or dementia has finally taken its toll. ;D

4. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

I'm sentimental. I still have my father's Boy Scout flashlight. I need to dig it out. I planned to post a pic of it. Maybe I'll get around to that sooner now:)

5. xbanker
    • Administrator

xbanker Geriatric Admin
    Staff Member

Please do if you have the opportunity. Like a dad's (or mom's) knife, a flashlight owned in their younger years is a real keeper. Still have the last military-issue watch my dad wore as career AF pilot nearly 45-years ago; not a particularly flashy watch, but it was his. :agree:

Quick add-on to my original post: When first carried the CMG Infinity Govt, compared to the Mag Solitaire, thought it was a real "thrower." :laugh:

6. Gnarly
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gnarly Loaded Pockets

'MagLite' preceding any other word is shorthand for: "I've seen brighter kitchen matches...with equal runtime."

7. mooshi
    • In Omnia Paratus

mooshi Loaded Pockets

My first light was also a Maglite Solitaire. I was only a kid at the time and that was all I could afford. I've kept it on my keyring all these years up until just recently when I got a Gerber Tempo from a kit. Shortly after, I got a Maglite XL200 and am thinking of getting the new Mini Pro Plus. I haven't dove into the flashlight world yet, but I did also just purchase a Sipik a couple days ago and am waiting for that to arrive. :)

8. xbanker
    • Administrator

xbanker Geriatric Admin
    Staff Member

That was a great bit of sarcasm, right? Or are you in denial? :laugh:

9. Iolaus

Iolaus Loaded Pockets

I still carry a Solitaire; it's cheap, reliable, and it can be found in any hardware store. So what if it can't light up the night; I don't need it to. It'll still light up what's in my hands or in front of my face.

10. mooshi
    • In Omnia Paratus

mooshi Loaded Pockets

haha Maybe just a little in denial! :) So far the XL200 has done great; I keep debating over the new Mini Pro Plus 'cause I love the looks of the Maglite Minis, but I also like that the XL200 has an adjustable beam (mini only has high and low options). I switched the Solitaire out 'cause the Tempo was so much brighter. The Sipik was out of curiosity since there were so many good reviews and was <$10 shipped. :p

11. temujin

temujin Uber Prepared

I still have and use a couple of Maglites. I never liked the Solitaire model, however. Never mind the brightness (or lack of), the ones I tried went through batteries like crazy. I was convinced the unit was designed by Eveready and Duracell to increase sales of AAA dry cells.

12. Kilted1

Kilted1 Loaded Pockets

Started with a 3D Mag, still have it. 15+ years later I had that light in the trunk, a MiniMag in my pocket and life was good. Then they went and invented white LEDs followed by the high powered versions. Now those Mags have been converted and joined by many siblings and cousins. Life is still good. ;D

Today it's a Fenix P2D (going to get an upgrade soon) backed up by a LD01.

13. temujin

temujin Uber Prepared

I still have and use a 3D Maglite. Converted to LED, the batteries last forever. Once upon a time, that was a tactical light. :)

14. azzid

azzid Empty Pockets

Most flashlight nut has owned a Maglite, I started with the 2xAA mini-mag camo pattern. I can still remember the fun i had with it when i was a kid(late 80's), staying at a very dark rural area and using/playing with it at night. The fascination and craziness came a decade/s later when high powered leds were introduced into the market(luxeon and cree).

15. sungame

sungame Loaded Pockets

My first "real" flashlight was actually a Maglite 3D-cell I saved up for and bought when I was 12 or 13. As a boy scout, I used it when camping out in the bush, for night maneuvers and for general mischief. Yes, it weighs as much as a small bus, and it puts out less light than my little Led Lenser T5. However, at the time of purchase, I thought it was great. Also, it has been tough as nails. In spite of heavily abusing it through more than 15 years, I still have it, and it still works. These days, I keep it by my nightstand for when I have to get up at night to check on something.

16. Kontour

Kontour Loaded Pockets

I started with an Eveready Dolphin when I was young. I thought it was the brightest thing this side of the sun! To be fair, they are a well designed light and are pretty much indestructible. I'd look into modding one with an LED if the heatsinking issues (completely plastic case) could be solved.

17. sungame

sungame Loaded Pockets

I will convert mine once my next paycheck comes in. I converted an AA Mini Mag, and it served me well for almost five years after the conversion, before suddenly dying on me.

18. herbicide

herbicide Loaded Pockets

I, too started with Maglites.

First there were the Solitaires (at least one of which unscrewed itself and left a forlorn tailcap on my keyring, others were sacrifices in the name of LED retrofitting - a brief foray, and not too successful); then the Mini AAA (Which I wish I'd kept - for, yes, sentimental reasons); later, I bought an AA minimag, which I still have, though it now has a glass lens and a Terralux something-or-other with a Rebel in it, running off Lithium primaries, as a backup to the backup to the backup.

I don't have any larger Mags, even now, having been lured into the realm of power LEDs and lithium cells by the Fenix P1D.

19. Narcosynthesis

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

I guess my issue is that for not much more you could get a Fenix e01 - brighter, hugely increased runtime, and just as tough (if not tougher due to the LED vs bulb)
    For the same money you could also pick up a few button cell lights, which while generally not quite as rugged, are a fraction of the size and still a step brighter.

The day Maglite brings out an LED model I will be tempted by one again, for now there are too many alternatives in that class.

20. phaserrifle

phaserrifle Loaded Pockets

I still miss my first light occasionally. it was, as for many in this thread, a mini-maglite, in blue. dad had one just like it, in black (in fact, he had several)
    I carried it on every scout camp, had it with me any time I was out at night.
    untill one night, I had to leave it behind, in the hand of some local troublemaker, after he grabbed the front of it, and I let go and ran like a olympic sprinter. never saw it again.
    I'd gotten quite attached to it, since dad had one, it was clearly a "big boys toy". which when I first got it, at about 9 years old, was no small thing! and it had been a reliable counterpart through a few scary (at the time) situations.

but then the policeman who took my statement (the aforementioned troublemakers had gone on to attempt to rob a couple of my mates) showed me his latest aquisition. a surefire (6p LED I later discovered) and I was introduced to a world I had no idea even existed....

like this? ;D

no connection to the company, they where just the first up on google.