1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

How picky Are You ?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by ScottB, Jan 5, 2016.

1. FL Woods Bum
    • In Omnia Paratus

FL Woods Bum Your Grace!

I am not super picky, but if an $8 knife like a SanRenMu 710 or heck, even the $4 Ozark Trail knife can arrive on my door step being sharp, centered, and with zero blade play, then I expect at least the same out of the knives which cost 2 and 3 times more money.

ManVsLawn, Corgi and QuodErat like this.
  2. TKC

TKC Loaded Pockets

I am very picky!

ManVsLawn, QuodErat and ScottB like this.
  3. IHateBottleOpeners

IHateBottleOpeners EDC Junkie!!!!!

I think mostly really depends on each individual knife. You may find a cheap Gerber without play in comparison with lockback Spyderco with all sides play. For my (lefr and right) tolerances, Benchmades have superior lock, fast, smooth opening and closing, fun, no up and down play, just a bit of side to side, you can adjust it, but won't open as good as if it's a bit loose.

ManVsLawn likes this.
  4. FL Woods Bum
    • In Omnia Paratus

FL Woods Bum Your Grace!

Buck makes good knives.. I have had zero issues with their stockmans and other more classic knives.. their polymer handled knives are good most of the time as well. Another one to look at is Kershaw who makes several knives in the U.S., including the Leek, but that's an assisted folder.. not sure what style you are looking for. Bear and Son knives are also o.k. and U.S. made for the most part.

ManVsLawn and Corgi like this.
  5. ScottB

ScottB Loaded Pockets

Sorry about the double post, I didn't mean to take this off track.

ManVsLawn likes this.
  6. FL Woods Bum
    • In Omnia Paratus

FL Woods Bum Your Grace!

If you are talking about my post that says "double post", that was actually my double post, not yours. :)

QuodErat and ScottB like this.
  7. FL Woods Bum
    • In Omnia Paratus

FL Woods Bum Your Grace!

BTW, every thread goes off track around here.. we all have ADHD.. oh look, there's a squirrel..

ManVsLawn, BigKurtHaze and QuodErat like this.
  8. On Edge

On Edge EDC Junkie!!!

Verrrry picky about blade play and consistency of scales (from front to back). I can abide off-center blades as long as they're not too severe, but blade play drives me nuts - knife goes straight back.
    I got something of a reputation among dealers for my willingness to continue to pay return shipping until I got a satisfactory knife. A couple teased me about it … but at the end of the day, I had with knives I was happy with.

9. ThaMac

ThaMac Loaded Pockets

Aside from the CRKT that I mentioned, I never experienced this problem with any other knife. Got: ZT, Benchmade, Kershaw, Case, Boeker, Cold Steel, Lionsteel - only to name the best known brands.

Sent from my smartphone using an app.

10. sungame

sungame Loaded Pockets

I don't know if this applies to all Buck knives, but my 110 had no play whatsoever ... until I very stupidly used it to baton some firewood...

As for pickiness, It depends on how much money I spend. On a $ 100 knife, I expect everything to be, if not perfect, then at least very good. I don't own a folder in that price segment, but if I were to buy one, I would expect great fit and finish, even grinds, absolutely no play, and a centered blade.

On a $25-50 knife, I don't expect perfection, but I do expect performance. That means I don't care about blade centering as long as the blade doesn't rub. Blade play is still a huge no-no, however.

ManVsLawn likes this.
  11. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

I'm quite discriminate with respect to certain objects that I carry. With respect to items on which my personal safety may invariably be tied; absolutely! I can summarily dismiss blade "play" on utility type cutting devices; however, I will not tolerate it on my daily carry folder of 15 years: the CRK Sebenza.

callforfire likes this.
  12. Cymro

Cymro Loaded Pockets

I'm extremely picky about blade play--that can become a safety issue, fast.

For the rest, I'd rate myself moderately picky. It depends on the knife, how much I spent on it, and what I bought it for.

13. Corgi

Corgi EDC Junkie

Spyderco. ;)

ManVsLawn and ScottB like this.
  14. thatotherguy

thatotherguy EDC Junkie!!!!!

A bit of wobble in a slip joint doesn't bother me. The knife will still work with a bit of wobble, and if I decide it needs to be fixed I can wrap the bolster with a rag and squeeze it in a vise to snug it up a little. Centering doesn't bother me as long as the edge isn't being caught on the liner or scratched up where it could be avoided. I've spent too much time carrying stockman patterns to care about rub.

QuodErat likes this.
  15. callforfire
    • In Omnia Paratus

callforfire Loaded Pockets

I'm very picky. Way back when I made the crossover to high end knives, Slop and centeredessness became absolutes on my "is this a quality knife" check list. For the most part it just irks me because of all the things necessary to make a knife good, putting the blade on correctly should be the simplest and most obvious part of it.

ScottB, ManVsLawn and Adahn like this.
  16. Adahn

Adahn Loaded Pockets

Can you use this word in Scrabble?

TDS and callforfire like this.
  17. ManVsLawn

ManVsLawn EDC Junkie!!!!!

I mostly rock Spydies but I am relatively picky.

I say this for previously mentioned reasons - a new knife should be new and in near as possible perfect order.

A sub 10$ knife can be clean and crisp...There is no excuse for more expensive knives not do be the same.

Blade play, side to side or otherwise, is a huge no no.

Not everything has to be "perfect", but I expect it to be well done.

sungame likes this.
  18. callforfire
    • In Omnia Paratus

callforfire Loaded Pockets

No idea, but if someone ever makes a game about made up words I think I'd be fairly good.

Staying on topic though. Buying a knife is also buying the name. So if for example I buy Spyderco that is less than I have come to expect from them, it goes back so they can make it right. Even if it is a less expensive model.

sungame and Adahn like this.
  19. EODPaul

EODPaul Loaded Pockets

I never used to be picky, but since joining a few forums and being introduced total he addiction, I'm very picky (mostly because I know what I'm looking at now). Every knife I recieve, from my ZTs to my Griptilian 551 was disassembled, cleaned, lubed and reassembled to as close to perfect centering and zero play as possible. I also measure centering... I look at it as an illness, but my wife hasn't complained about my obsession. Her knives are perfect too...