1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

How old to get first swiss army knife

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by ssmtbracer, Aug 22, 2009.

1. Cervantes

Cervantes Loaded Pockets

Well, now that I have kiddos and I know how they are...my 4 year old will not get one till 8.

2. vivek16

vivek16 Loaded Pockets

Yeah, don't get them one if they're constantly putting things in their mouths. :p I think at some point, you just have to take the chance. Once they cut themselves, they'll be more careful.
    '

3. muskrat72

muskrat72 Loaded Pockets

I remember buying one myself when I was 9. However, my oldest son is 8 and its going to be a few years before that little ADHD brat gets one. :slap:

4. michoi

michoi Empty Pockets

dont get him 1 till he proves responsable and your missis agrees because i know having knifes isnt worth it if your mom dosent stop complainign

5. getpower

getpower Empty Pockets

ADHD is exactly the reason why my 16 year old brother isn't responsible enough to handle the responsability of having any multitool or knife.

6. crossroads

crossroads Empty Pockets

Don't worry mate, you're not alone, at least not completely. I handled a knockoff SAK when I was about 10, which turned me off pocket knives immediately. Parents weren't at all interested in giving me a knife, and it was only until last year when I was 19 that I was sucked into CPF, which went to EDCF, and subsequently Bladeforums. Bought a SAK Farmer shortly after joining the forums.

7. Cervantes

Cervantes Loaded Pockets

You know, I'm 34 and I managed to gouge my index finger with a stiletto Cold Steel triple action folder. I
    'm blaming my 4 year old since her running into the street after a butterfly prompted me to divert my attention from a piece of staff work that I was trying to finish...with the wrong tool... :brickwall:
    Does Tonka make knives?

8. GiveMeLight

GiveMeLight Loaded Pockets

Third grade - so around age 8. And I have carried a knife of some sort almost every day since then including to school, which is a huge no-no in US society today.
    Agree about the comments regarding maturity of the child.

9. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

Me too. My dad gave me an old Buck that he had.

I once took a shop class and we were supposed to bring an Old-Timer-style pocket-knife to school. Now that same school requires no more than three inches of slack in your pant leg at the knee and mesh or other see-thru backpacks... :(

I never intentionally carried a knife to any school that prohibited it - the key word being intentionally.

10. minusworld

minusworld Empty Pockets

I was very young when I got my first knife, which was a Swiss Army Knife (I don't remember what age) I did not use it a lot but took it to campouts.

11. Tango 191

Tango 191 Loaded Pockets

I believe i was about 10 my dad went to conventions and they gave out knives, among other things, (pre 9/11) I remember getting my hands on a 3 inch all metal lock back knife with some medical company's name on it, that i carried everywhere.........till i lost it in a trade with a friend over something stupid :) O well

12. echo63

echo63 Loaded Pockets

I can remember "borrowing" one of dad's knives (an old timer, stockman) when i was around 10-12, he found out and traded it for a different knife (which i still have somewhere - he also still has the old timer)

my grandparents gave me a 111mm sak when i was around 12-13, for christmas, but it was stolen when i was around 20.
    my brother was given a sak around the same time, so he would have been around 10-11, he still has his (although it has seen barely any use in that time)

13. johnnywest

johnnywest Loaded Pockets

Victorinox sells a knife called "My first Victorinox" or perhaps "my first swiss army knife"

It is intended to be a kid friendly 1st pocket knife. I saw one on Amazon recently.

14. gadgetguy35

gadgetguy35 Loaded Pockets

My dad gave me my first SAK at 6. It was a classic, and the very first cut was my left index finger. I then learned how to test sharpness and never repeated the accident.

15. Dr. Bahn

Dr. Bahn Loaded Pockets

I got my first Vic, a SwissChamp, when I was 5 for christmas! :)