1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

How old to get first swiss army knife

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by ssmtbracer, Aug 22, 2009.

1. liquidsunshine

liquidsunshine Loaded Pockets

Hi,

I think I was either seven or eight. Cut myself with it once, which gave me a hell of a lot respect for knives, and I treated them accordingly from then on, hardly ever cutting myself again, even though I have always used knives a lot all the time ever since I got this first one.

Knives were no big deal then, I carried it wherever I went, including school, and also used it there, no one ever raised an eyebrow over me whittling in the school grounds or stuff like that. We need to get back to that attitude.

Cheers,

Matt

2. chaosmagnet
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

chaosmagnet Loaded Pockets

I was six. I still have the scar on my left hand to prove it. I'm much better about knife safety now.

My oldest is eight and she doesn't own a knife yet. I'll probably give her one at Christmas or her 9th birthday.

3. tabler1010

tabler1010 Empty Pockets

I was seven when i got my Vctorinox Cub Pal or somthing like that.

4. NeonLights

NeonLights Loaded Pockets

As I recall, I was 7 or 8 when I received my first pocket knife. It's been over 30 years now, but I seem to remember a family friend who owned a hardware store giving me a yellow-handled slip-joint pocket knife, possibly a Case. It is long gone now, but I carried knives to school back then from time to time, and no one really cared. My how times have changed.

I remember one family christmas a few years back where one of my five-year old nephews received a SAK for a present, he was running upstairs with bloody hands in less than fifteen minutes.

I haven't quite decided when to give my son his first knife, he'll be seven in a few months, that might be a good time I guess. He was left a US made Remington 4-blade Congress knife when his grandfather passed away when my son was just 6 months old, it was well used by his "papaw" but is still very functional, it would make a good birthday present when he turns seven in November.

5. liquidsunshine

liquidsunshine Loaded Pockets

On second thought, it might be a good idea to give the first knife around five or six, but only let your child use it together with you so you can see how he / she does it and teach what to do and what not to do at first. That makes using a knife something special that is treated with the necessary attention and care.

Also, that way you'll also know when he / she has learned enough that you can give him / her free use whenever he / she wants, with or without you. If you do knife work with him / her together, you'll know when they have learned enough to be safe.

Cheers,

Matt

6. grimm_kaosboy

grimm_kaosboy Empty Pockets

I was 5 when I got my first, an old first timer 2 blade pen knife. Long gone now. Got a few cuts from it...simply meant that it was mine now :D
    I say it all depends on the child. Maturity, responsibility, hand/eye coordination, manual dexterity... kids being kids, expect a few cuts and nicks. And probably some things being inappropiately cut. Such is the folly of youth.

7. subrosa

subrosa Loaded Pockets

My dad had reflected on the "good ole' days" everyone would have a pocket knife school/work/home, just a tool that was easy enough to carry around.

I would say a young age is fine with supervision, just let him know what it is, how to be responsible with it. In fact take him camping and let him cut things, that would be quite the fun experience. :)

8. conquer88

conquer88 Loaded Pockets

when i was 9yo my dads friend gave it to me its a sak classic but i lost it on our way ho :mad:me

9. Xerxes

Xerxes Loaded Pockets

I was four years old when my uncle gave me a knife just before he emigrated to Australia: a single bladed folding knife with red scales (which were made of very thin sheet steel, I think).

Four years later the same uncle sent me a three-bladed stockman knife for Christmas: possibly the most exciting gift I'd ever received, and my daily companion for many years afterwards.

10. Lugsalot

Lugsalot EDC Junkie!!!!!

I just gave my 17-year-old cousin his first SAK: a Victorinox Compact.

He was BEYOND ready, let me tell you! :laugh:

11. Gespenst

Gespenst Empty Pockets

Both of my girls received their first at 10. My oldest (15 now) has 4 at this point.
    I think it is more a matter of the child's level of responsibility than a given age.

12. Lorenzo

Lorenzo Loaded Pockets

To get the first Swiss army knife you'd have to be eligible for military service by the year 1890, so you'd have to be born about 1872... meaning you'll be at least 137 :evilgrin: now.

13. hiho9

hiho9 Empty Pockets

i got my first one a year ago, jsut before my 21st birthday. now i have 3... getting addictive

14. matt1987

matt1987 Empty Pockets

when i was around 6 or 7 my grandpa gave me one. as soon as i opened it the saw blade closed on my hand and i got a nice gash.

15. Eon

Eon Loaded Pockets

Had mine as a gift from my dad when I was 8, it was a small wegner with a locking blade, nail file, toothpick, tweezers and scissors. The best gift I remember. Sure, I cut myself with it in the first week of use and some other times after that, but how else was I supposed to learn?

16. Bowman1911

Bowman1911 EDC Mechanic

My first real pocketknife was a Stihl branded clippoint lockback my dad gave me when I was 4. I had been carrying scissors or carpet cutter razors for over a year & had cut myself pretty good with them. However when they took them away from me & hid them, I just found others, or located the ones they took from me. They got tired of this & decided a propper knife was in order & would probably either cut down on the # of accidents or finish the job. Well, I'm now 31 & I'm still around.

17. Lugsalot

Lugsalot EDC Junkie!!!!!

I can't stop laughing at this. "Finish the job!" :laugh:

Reminds me of how I learned that the stove was "HOT." Mom kept telling me "NO! HOT! NO! HOT!" Dad said "The kid doesn't know what 'hot' is! Just let him touch it once and he'll learn!"

Well, after touching the stove, I had certainly learned what "HOT" was, and didn't fail to point the stove out to every single one of our guests and tell them "HOT! HOT!"

Dad probably didn't see much affection from Mom for a couple days after that; he told me she gave him an awful look while I was screaming and crying, and I bet that wasn't all there was to it. I think I'll call the Old Man up tomorrow and tell him how much I appreciate the sacrifices he made in raising me. I'll call Mom up too, as I'm sure it broke her little heart to see me learn a lesson like that.

Anyway, if I'm lucky enough to sire any little ones, I'll make sure each one of them isn't too sheltered. And I hope my future wife doesn't make me sleep on the couch too much as a result of it!

God bless parents! :)

18. Johnathan

Johnathan Empty Pockets

My brother gave me a one his stepfather gave him when I was six. I had it for five minutes, then cut my self bad. After the E.R. visit he took it back. So now, eight years later and a lot safer with knifes at fourteen I have a Hunstman my father gave me for my birthday in June. :)

19. johnnytest

johnnytest Loaded Pockets

Recently I was cutting something with my 5 year old on the front steps. I went in side to get something and told him not to touch. I came back our and he looked all sad, kind of ready to cry. I said "what's wrong?" , and he said he touched the knife. I told him it was OK, and then he showed me his hand that he was holding/ hiding from me, that was bleeding. (not badly).
    He is in cub scouts now and I will give him a multi-tool with a dulled up blade.
    I consider mulit-tools the pocket knives of this century.

20. getpower

getpower Empty Pockets

Well, for me I'll answer by saying this:

when I was 5 I always wanted to play with my dads pocket knife. I got my first SAK at age 8 and immediately lost it because I simply wasn't responsible enough to be able to handle it.

It's not a toy, and I see now why my parents took it back for about 6 months. I've had it ever since.

But I have a 16 year old brother that is still not able to handle the responsability.

It's up to you as the parent. Only you know your kids attitude and how responsible he/she is.