1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

How old to get first swiss army knife

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by ssmtbracer, Aug 22, 2009.

1. ssmtbracer

ssmtbracer EDC Junkie!!!!!

Does anyone know how old they were when you got your first swiss army knife or any knife. I want to get one for my son just not sure he is old enough yet.

2. jeeves3443

jeeves3443 Loaded Pockets

I had one in fifth grade. Never carried it unless camping or needed it at home. It will probably be lost and damaged, especially if he carries it everywhere, like school (bad idea). I was involved with boy-scouts so I had a reason and a place to 'exercise' its use without much risk. Which, IMO is important.

PS.

Good idea, I used bars of soap.

3. chris in mo

chris in mo Loaded Pockets

I got my son his forst SAK at 5.  I dulled the edge on a sander and he used it to cut and sculpt clay etc.... I thought it was a pretty good way to introduce him to using a knife while reducing the risk at his young age.

4. nemesis5656

nemesis5656 Loaded Pockets

i was 7 when i got my first sak. i only brought it to school one time because i was going camping with my friend right after school. i had it in my backpack with a luggage lock on the zippers though.

5. Manatakui

Manatakui Loaded Pockets

I guess I received my first SAK, a Vagabond, when I was six or seven; still have it, too. :3

It's a wonderful, albeit discontinued, model between a Rambler and a Minichamp. Alas, it's been retired, and I now have many, many SAKs; in fact, I'm selling some of my collection, little by little. XD

You could always get him a "My First Victorinox," or go the standard route of a Tinker, or Tinker Small. If you want to go "ooh, bestest father evah!," go for a silver alox Cadet. :)

6. CubistHamster

CubistHamster Loaded Pockets

My Dad gave me my first SAK when I was 5. I immediately cut myself with it.

I consider it a valuable learning experience, since I haven't hurt myself badly with a knife since.

7. houdini28

houdini28 Loaded Pockets

I believe I was in third grade when I received my first SAK. It was a Victorinox Spartan. I still have it although I do not often carry it. It was a great first knife though.

8. greymethod

greymethod Loaded Pockets

I believe I was 8... it was my eighth birthday present and a huge deal at the time.

9. defloyd

defloyd Loaded Pockets

Well I'm going to be the oddball here, last December, age of 22. :shrug: Evogrip 18 in yellow.

10. yam350

yam350 Loaded Pockets

I got my first knife at the age of 5. It was a Roy rogers penknife with a picture of the man himself on Trigger printed on the plastic scales, it came with a plastic lanyard that was made to hook over a button and a shiny plastic sherrif's badge.The knife was made by William Rodgers of Sheffield. I think it cost 2 shillings and sixpence then (1956), what would now be 12·5 pence
    I had that knife for years, although as I got older I removed the pictures from the scales as Roy Rogers was no longer that cool by the time I was 7 or 8. I have an almost identical knife in a drawer by my bed, tin plate scales with a covering of printed plastic, with a tool steel blade that takes a wicked edge. My Roy Rogers knife gave me a few cuts before I learnt to use it safely, I used to use my dad's oilstone to sharpen it and get into trouble for wearing down the edges of the stone as it was for his wood chisels.
    I wish I still had it as original it would be worth a small fortune now.

11. Lugsalot

Lugsalot EDC Junkie!!!!!

I got my first knife when I was still in elementary school. Also got hassled for bringing it to class, but not too badly. I was under the age of ten, I think.

How old is old enough to receive one's first knife?

Old enough to be responsible with it, regardless of age. Everyone grows up a little bit when they receive their first knife.

12. yam350

yam350 Loaded Pockets

Especially after they have drawn their own blood with it a couple of times!

13. Lugsalot

Lugsalot EDC Junkie!!!!!

Exactly. :laugh:

14. ssmtbracer

ssmtbracer EDC Junkie!!!!!

So I guess 5 is not too young to get your first knife. Thanks for all the post

15. Sharpdogs

Sharpdogs Uber Prepared

I was 5 when I received my first knife. It was a SAK classic. To this day it was one of the coolest gifts I got. Unfortunately I lost it decades ago.

16. Stutoffee

Stutoffee Loaded Pockets

I think Id have been 6 or 7 when I got my first rreal-steel penknife.

I DO remember my Dad making me an over-sized (6" when closed) penknife out of WOOD when I was much younger though.
    I always seemed to have a sword made of plastic electrical conduit or a wooden dagger with "knurling" drawn onto the grips with a blue biro.

Ahh, Happy days.

17. komodo

komodo Loaded Pockets

My friend gave me my first SAK when I was 15

18. steelstr45

steelstr45 Loaded Pockets

it should be more based on maturity and intelligence than age. Some kids are ready at 10 years old, and others may not be ready until like 20 years old. If you think your kid is smart enough and responsible enough to not do anything dangerous or stupid with a knife that could get him or someone else hurt, then it's time.

But if you're not sure, there is no harm it waiting a while.

When I got my first, I was in cub scouts. They made us study all kinds of safety stuff, and learn how to carve before we were given one. Which is not a bad idea.

19. Synaptic Misfire
    • In Omnia Paratus

Synaptic Misfire Loaded Pockets

5 or 6 it was a cheap knockoff of a Boy Scout knife, the only dangerous thing about it would've been throwing it(closed) at someone. My Mom's butter knives were sharper. My second knife was a cheapy butterfly knife which were illegal where I lived then and I remember my Dad telling me if I got caught with it he would plead ignorance :-X Then my grandpa passed and my father gave me one of his pocket knives. I remember feeling like that knife was better than all the money in the world, still have it. With adult eyes I see it is not very nice or very sharp but bet your :censored: I wouldn't trade it for anything.

20. Narcosynthesis

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

I was about 10 when I got my first SAK - a Huntsman I got for my birthday when I joined scouts.

I still own it and carried it until earlier this year when I replaced it with a German issue Soldier, Still works perfectly though :)