1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

How often must you use something to be part of your EDC?

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by Boudreaux, Jun 26, 2016.

1. Boudreaux

Boudreaux Loaded Pockets

So, just looking thought some of the different post and pictures around here I was curious about somethings. Mostly how often must you use something to consider making it part of your EDC? And just the opposite, how long do you EDC something without using it before you remove it from your EDC?
    I am talking about on you person, not bags and with firearms and magazines being an exemption.

For me it is at least weekly, It must be used weekly or it doesn't stay in my EDC. So how about you guys?

Thanks,
    Boswell

O_G and Mumbojumboo like this.
  2. TOPOS

TOPOS Loaded Pockets

for me it has to be something that either i use every three days or so (granola bars, headpones, multitool), OR something that i don't use often but it would be bad if i needed it but didn't have it(FAK, bike pump, etc)

Edit: i didn't originally see the part in the op about this not referring to bags

survivaleverydaycarry likes this.
  3. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Mumbojumboo EDC Junkie!!!!!

The 'E' every is subjective. I carry different stuff in the snow than I do at the beach. Keys, wallet, and flashlight are always for me.

4. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

This has always been an everyday carry not usage forum.

5. Stutz

Stutz EDC Junkie

I don't think firearms are an exception, because there's a factor you're leaving out. (in my opinion)

You gotta multiply the frequency of use by the consequences of not having the thing when you need it to get the overall value of carrying it, right? TOPOS referred to this above.

Moshe ben David and Water-Rat like this.
  6. bob_the_bomb

bob_the_bomb Loaded Pockets

Agreed. This is in fact the formal definition of 'risk' (a function of the probability of the incidence and the severity of the outcome)

For myself, I review every month or so, and occasionally demote 'just in case' items to go into my notebook or my rucksack. At the moment I'm down to SAK, Anova mini light, keys, and two 'spy capsules' (1 for cash, 1 for meds)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stutz likes this.
  7. The Sixth Beatle

The Sixth Beatle Loaded Pockets

To go through my main EDC:
    Used regularly: Knife, torch, multitool, FAK, hearing aid batteries, phone, handkerchief.
    Used occasionally : paracord, pencil/paper, gaffer tape.
    Never used : spare battery, matches, wire, £20 note

the "never used" items take up barely any space and weigh a few grams but might come in useful.

Not allowed/no need to carry shooters

8. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

It is not the frequency of use but the NEED that dictates what I carry or wear.

9. Thai_cat

Thai_cat Empty Pockets

Just hour ago I used my knife to open wall and save small cat. [​IMG]

Now we on the way to veterinaryp.

10. Vinjints

Vinjints Loaded Pockets

I can agree with this. If you're carrying so much that it's a burden, then I see the point of saying, "well I didn't use my tomahawk this week in board meetings, so I must not need it." But I will not say the same thing regarding a flashlight.

11. Boudreaux

Boudreaux Loaded Pockets

I didn't leave them out, they are a non negotiable item. It is the one item that I am willing to carry daily and never use. Everything else needs to be used to be carried. I don't see the point in carrying things that look cool, or serve no purpose. I have been trimming my EDC gear down slowly as of lately, again only continuing to keep gear used weekly.
    I know this will vary for each person and their needs and jobs. So, I look at pictures on here of peoples dumps and wonder if they evaluate they gear or if they just carry to show "status" per say or if only because something is "neat" to them. I am just wondering how often you reevaluate your gear based usage.
    Disclaimer: I don't care who carries what or why, I am just wondering IF people evaluate their carry, how they do it and how they do it on usage.

Thanks,
    Boswell

O_G and Mumbojumboo like this.
  12. TheInsideOutsider

TheInsideOutsider Loaded Pockets

In my case I will decide I want a tool/item and add it in. Usually the deciding factor regarding weather or not it stays is burden/annoyance not necessarily use. My "silver gripper" style tweezers and photon light stay on my keychain despite rare use. Both have negligible weight. Also I'm going to really want the tweezers when I want them.
    On the other side I used to carry two Res-Q-Me's. One on my main key/tool chain, one with the car keys. Back in college being a passenger was just as likely as being a driver and moving it from one chain to another seemed more annoying than having two. A year or two ago I realized that if I was in a car I was probably the driver and that my keys were more comfortable without the extra bulk. Haven't looked back.
    I also used to carry a Swiss+tech Micro-max when I didn't have another pliers based multi-tool on me. One day I lost it. Before the new one I ordered arrived I realized that pliers smaller than those in a Juice don't do much and aren't worth the weight/bulk.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Moshe ben David likes this.
  13. Stutz

Stutz EDC Junkie

Right, I was just saying that frequency of use is only one factor in deciding what to carry. There are other factors. One is, as I said, how high the stakes are for not carrying it (firearm or FAK might be considered high-stakes items, which overrides their low frequency of use). Another, as TheInsideOutsider mentioned, is weight/bulk—if an item is not a burden in any way, that might override the low frequency of use as well.

So I guess my answer to your question is yes, I kinda do reevaluate every so often, but it's not based solely on usage. But of course that is maybe the biggest factor in most cases.

MinistryOfTruth likes this.
  14. thegrouch314

thegrouch314 Loaded Pockets

i'm out of work at the minute (disability) so i use my edc less frequently because i usually have the same or better items on my desk

generally though, if i don't use it every week or so, i need to rethink whether it's worth the pocket space

15. Nick4305
    • In Omnia Paratus

Nick4305 EDC Junkie!!!!!

I second what Mumbo said above: i EDC things and various stuff, but it's NOT always the same set.
    Variety is life's salt. :)

MinistryOfTruth likes this.
  16. Narcosynthesis

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

I don't think there really is a set time for me, more just finding a good balance of usage versus the effort required to carry it.

For example I carry a set of earplugs in my bag for going to gigs - they weigh so little and are so easy to carry that even if I only use them once every few months, it is worth carrying them.

On the other hand, a large multitool I will probably use more regularly, but since it is a lot heavier and bulkier to carry, it really has to be a lot more of a necessity to me to justify the bother of carrying it - in most of my life it just isn't worth the bother in my eyes.

My answer - not putting a rigid framework on having one set of items that gets carried or strict rules on how often they must be used, and varying my carry to suit what I plan on doing that day in particular. Only going to the office? lightweight carry with only a couple of smaller items appropriate for a work environment. Going out hiking? Load up on the emergency gear. Going to meet some friends in town? you get the idea...

bob_the_bomb and MinistryOfTruth like this.
  17. Dustin.G

Dustin.G Loaded Pockets

my only true EVERY day items are phone, wallet, keys, knife, light, sunglasses.

i simply adjust what comes with me based on what im going to be doing for the day, and bring my pack if i think there's any possibility of needing extras. Really, the only hard and fast rule i have for my carry is that a knife goes with me everywhere. Everything else that i may or may not take just depends.

I'm a bit on the OCD side, and I have had a tendency to think myself into a hole with this stuff lol. so, i just dont any more. I have my simple rules, and every day i decide what else i might need.

18. MinistryOfTruth
    • In Omnia Paratus

MinistryOfTruth Uber Prepared

Thats what i'm talking about! You're my hero now!

19. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

So, how did you manage not to impale the cat when you stabbed into the wall? :D

Moshe ben David

20. IThinkTooMuch

IThinkTooMuch Loaded Pockets

If it's part of my rotation of gear that I carry most days, then it's EDC. It's Every Day CARRY, not necessarily Every Day Usage. The gear I actually carry tends to vary according to what I expect to do that day, but the functions usually remain the same. As an example, if I know I'm going to a campfire with my friends, I will carry a 2AA or 2D light. If I'm going to a formal dinner where the lines of my suit matter, it's be some 8 gram coin cell that disappears onto my keychain.