1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

How often do your EDC bags come in handy?

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by FrozenMuffin, Nov 26, 2012.

1. FrozenMuffin

FrozenMuffin Loaded Pockets

Ok. This might be a bit of a dumb question, but I was wondering if carrying an EDC bag is really worth it? How often are you in a situation where you need something and it's right there in your bag? Lately I've been going back and forth between wanting a new maxped gearslinger and thinking an (almost) full size backpack would just be a hindrance.

I used to carry a remora and I loved it but it was a little small. So now I'm considering getting a malaga, but I'd rather not fork over the $140 for it if I'm not going to use it.

Just want your opinions. Thanks

2. KAMM
    • In Omnia Paratus

KAMM Loaded Pockets

Well, I use my bag to carry my back up and emergency gear. So that said...not all that often. It does come in handy when I need to put a jacket in there or carry an extra layer which is coming more and more important as it gets colder. I have a rush 12 that hold all my stuff without being uncomfortable. The Maxpedition Sitka is a great bag but I'd classify it as "light" carry. I'm a small chicky...wearing a "medium" sized bag would look ridiculous on me. The rush 12 is pretty much my limit. :)

SAKplumber and defuse kit like this.
  3. Windwolf

Windwolf Loaded Pockets

I use my Maxpedition falcon II bag everyday. Everything from needing my sunglasses, getting my phone charger, or getting a band aid. It has everything in it that I might need in a givin situation but don't want to keep in my pockets. Plus if I spontaniously want to go on a hike or if I'm in an emergency I have my survival gear with me when I need it. And if I don't want to have it with me for some reason, I can keep it in my truck.

Dafabricata likes this.
  4. Valerian

Valerian Tea-powered admin

Ah, but the usefulness of a bag is not just the things it contains, but the potential for carrying things. I need my pack several times every day. To be more specific, I need the empty space in my pack, not so much the few gadgets I keep there. I use my pack to carry clothes and lunch to work, and empty lunch boxes and laundry back home. Sometimes I go shopping on the way and need some room in my pack to put my purchases in etc. I use my pack all the time, but the "EDC" items inside the pack are mostly backups so I use them only rarely. Well, except the rain cover.

5. wildborego

wildborego EDC Junkie!!!!!

There is something in my bag that i use everyday.

Phone charger, knife, snacks, watter bottle, sharpie, multi-tool.

I try and carry the basic stuff that i could use everyday, and now that its cold outside i carry a jacket and wool cap.

6. Y.Tribe

Y.Tribe Loaded Pockets

Completely agree. Being of the female orrentation, I feel I have just the right mix of useless female crap (the odd bit of make up and tampons ect) and other everdaycarry. Its quite a small bag much like a handbag but I find once my pockets have been organized I use it everyday.

7. SurvivePenna
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

SurvivePenna EDC Junkie!!!!!

The short answer is "every single day". Since I started to carry my now very heavy EDC backpack with me, I use it and it's contents quite often and every day. Some days (almost certain on the days where I'm not home and not close by my car) I use it a lot. Even if I don't use things in my EDC pack...it comes with a certain mindset about always being prepared. I have things with me if and when I really need them and can just replace the items that I use as I go. I would say that my FAK, flashlights and a few tools are the most important reasons to carry my EDC pack with me....

My personal EDC pack is definitely on the heavy side and not for everybody. ^^^^ like KAMM says above, something light may be a good place to start. I would get a 5.11 Rush 12 if I were to get myself a new EDC bag....it's not too small nor too big...but just right. Check out this review by Sootch00 :

The Rush 12 can be found on Amazon for around $87...(Free shipping):

http://www.amazon.com/5-11-Tactical-Rush-Backpack-Black/dp/B003HHV0QQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1353952515&sr=8-1&keywords=5.11 Rush 12

Last edited by SurvivePenna, Nov 26, 2012
    Tixx likes this.
  8. nuphoria

nuphoria Loaded Pockets

My bag is fairly small and light, and full of things I use regularly, so the answer is every day I have it with me.

9. Tixx

Tixx Loaded Pockets

Love my 5.11 Rush12 and now am going to try the Grey Ghost Stealth Operator for EDC. Trying to keep it smaller and lighter weight.

10. RoboSim

RoboSim Loaded Pockets

Everything. All day. Everyday.

11. CatfishTX

CatfishTX Loaded Pockets

i usually keep mine in the car. Anytime I don't have it, that's when I need something out of it. Murphy's Law reigns supreme.

SurvivePenna, defuse kit and bigfoot like this.
  12. bigfoot

bigfoot Loaded Pockets

Like a lot of people here, my bag has evolved from "carry the kitchen sink" to "actually carry things you use daily".

powerring likes this.
  13. powerring
    • In Omnia Paratus

powerring Loaded Pockets

I find that I carry less in my EDC bag as time goes on. It's more of a "ten essentials" type bag plus things like my phone charger and laptop or tablet. That keeps the weight and bulk down.

14. Rivertamer

Rivertamer Loaded Pockets

I find myself using mine everyday.... cold at warehouse where I work..... keep my gloves and hat in there.
    And it seems like now everyone knows I carry it and I dispense bandaids for every little cut..... apparently my fak has better quality bandaids than the corporate first aid kit... lol

Sent from my Galaxy S3

15. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

Tixx - let me know how you like the Grey Ghost pack. I just picked up one of their "light assault" packs during their BF sale.

For the OP: pretty regularly. I spend a lot of time on public transit, so having access to things like hand sanitizer, wet wipes, water bottles, pen and paper, cell phone, rope, carabiner, chewing gum, band aids, tweezers, gloves, etc. can be insanely helpful.

I could fit most of that into my pockets, but that would also be a serious irritation to walk long distances with loaded pockets.

You can also improvise additional carrying options - lashing jackets or shopping bags to a full-sized pack, if necessary.

16. rat-7

rat-7 Loaded Pockets

I carry a small satchel for work everyday. Small zipped binder for work, small moleskin for personal notes, extra phone charger, small folder, pens and pencils, etc. I'd be completely screwed without it.

17. Dafabricata

Dafabricata Loaded Pockets

Everyone lives such different lifestyles and has different requirements that you're going to get a lot of different reasons as to why or why not someone carries a bag. It's very personal and what works for me may not for you. Nonetheless I find it interesting to hear people's thoughts and it helps give us perspective we might not have had otherwise.
    That said, here's why I do

Every time I leave, my Falcon II is on my back. I've been carrying it for 5+ years now and I just can't seem to find another bag to replace it. The way it collapses into itself makes it sit very close to my body and the skinny width also helps keep a close body signature. Very rarely will my pack bump something while I'm navigating a store and I get compliments on it non-stop! 2 comments in the last 2 days alone!
    Living in a smaller town has allowed me to reprioritize/rethink how to live on a limited budget. Which means not driving (for 12 years now!) but rather walking or riding my bikes so I have no vehical to leave my bag, prompting me to get a nice pack.
    My EDC is generally carried in my pack rather than in my pockets. The items contained within have saved my butt plenty of times or just made life much more comfortable. The first aid kit has come out on several occasions, where had it not been right there with me, things could have turned out bad.
    The tool kit has been refined to the point of most useful tools with minimum size/weight and has fixed my bikes, friends cars, or simple home maintenance when visiting my Mom/Grandparents/friends.
    The other items are things I need/want to carry that have come in handy.
    As Valolammas stated, the ability to add more items is a must for me, which is why I like being able to un-clip the cinch straps on the side, pull the bag out (accordion style) and fill it with groceries or things I find.
    The hydration pocket works great as a place to stash my handgun also if having it on my person is uncomfortable(car rides)
    More than anything, knowing that I'm pretty self sufficient is a huge relief. While others freak out when they encounter one of life's daily unknowns, I feel confident knowing I can handle some of these unexpected situations and at times get great pleasure in doing so and seeing/hearing the reactions from those not/less prepared.

Last edited by Dafabricata, Nov 26, 2012
    FrozenMuffin and Myrddraal like this.
  18. defuse kit

defuse kit Loaded Pockets

I maybe use one thing out of it a day. I like putting things in, like my keys, wallet, or anything else I don't want in my pockets. Coin pockets, tissue packets, etc.

There are also things in there I'd rather not be without. FAK, pocket organizer (with my phone charger), extra lights, and snacks. Also my buff and gloves. Those small items can keep you warm in a pinch.

It's not like I have a big EDC bag. I'm sporting a Goruck Echo now and it's perfect for small EDC carry. Anything bigger and it gets annoying :/

19. gear_queer

gear_queer Loaded Pockets

i didnt bring mine to work with me 2 days last weeks and i was hurtin

20. Myrddraal

Myrddraal Loaded Pockets

My TAD EDC almost always goes wherever I go. I don't always need everything in it, but having it, and its contents, makes me feel ready for anything. It serves as my work bag, my day hiking/hunting pack, and my weekend bag. I'm almost to the point where I can start wearing non-cargo pants again ;-)