1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

How Often Do You Switch Bags?

Discussion in 'Where, When, & How Do We Carry All This Stuff?' started by neutrontech, Aug 2, 2011.

1. DARK-OPS

DARK-OPS Empty Pockets

I have several bags (Maxpedition models) and change once in a while,,,,for the most part I have been very happy with the Malaga as my EDC for most of 2011.

2. CatherineM
    • In Omnia Paratus

CatherineM Loaded Pockets

I just switched yesterday from a Kestral to a Jaunt. Love it.

3. Trunkmonkey

Trunkmonkey Loaded Pockets

I rotate all my MaxP bags every few weeks just so i dont get bored...

4. Razer

Razer Empty Pockets

I have actually been thinking a lot about this lately. When I first started with EDC, it was really just a 72hr BOB. As a few months past I began to see a need for a more true EDC setup to complement my emergency bag. I opted for a Lunada, and filled it with all the most common items I used on a daily basis, and included various contingency items for those just in case moments.

Later I gained an interest in ham radio as a hobby, and for it's emergency comms value. I ended up buying a smaller Remora, and packed it with everything I would need for e-comm including my ht, rollup jpole antenna, batteries, repeater manual, and various adapters that would allow me to utilize various power sources. Needless to say I carried this bag on any out of town trips, along with my separate Lunada EDC. After a while it became tiresome to lug both around everywhere separately, so I combined the kits into a Typhoon backpack. This ended up leaving the kit too heavy for me to consider as a bag I would tote daily, so I ended up digging out the retired Remora and turning it into a smaller version of my original EDC.

I now carry the Remora daily, and take the Typhoon with me on occasions that take me over X number of miles from home. This system is finally working for me, as the bags remain packed with all essential items being the same minus the ham gear. Now I just pick the bag and go without having to worry about shifting items around!

5. GutWrench

GutWrench Loaded Pockets

I have a small bag just for work (LEO) that stays in my unit and I have a Kifaru E&E that is used for both work and play. This bag travels with me 90% of the time as it has the most basic EDC load out. I either D&L it to or slide it into my CB Talon when I need more room. I have different bags for other activities, gym, ****/camping...

6. rhazkhal

rhazkhal Loaded Pockets

Same here I have my Maxped Proteus + Janus for everyday going to the market, mall, park and local trips. And I got my Maxped Lunada + Janus for more tourist like trips so I can carry a little bit more stuff like cameras and nalgene bottles and for my luggage or clothings I use My Oakley AP 2.0 or my Oakley Kitchen Sink....

7. J4C3

J4C3 Guest

I changed and changed trying various bags to fit my needs,but in the end i found i kept coming back to my Remora & Rush 12.
    Between them they seem to cover all i need,Remora light trips & summer,rush 12 autumn winter more trips needing load.

The only variance is sometimes stealthy gordon bag for the river or beach ,really hot days maxped large water bottle modded to keep me hydrated and a few odds and ends.

Edc for me ive tried carrying it all but it became cumbersome and spent more time at home ,also been superlight and mininmal but it bored me,now i think ive got it just right to cover my needs.

8. Bigdaddyrooster
    • In Omnia Paratus

Bigdaddyrooster Loaded Pockets

I just got a maxpedition Operator tactical bag for about a month now and I am thinking of downsizing a little. I would love to have multiple bags and switch out every couple days , but I think I am too lazy.. Maybe if I had copies of everything...lol..

9. Razer

Razer Empty Pockets

That's what I did with mine. I keep a small inventory of the essentials on rite in rain pads kept in each bag so I can be sure I have what I need.

10. legoman0721

legoman0721 Loaded Pockets

I would love to do the same thing, but I have the same issue! I don't really like taking the time to switch things around. I wish I could afford to have duplicates of everything so I can have multiple bags set up and ready to go, but unfortunately that ideal situation is a bit out of my reach. Now that I've switched to a Maxped Kodiak, I don't expect to switch bags again until summer, when I'll probably go back to a Fatboy or buy a Lunada because I won't have to worry about being able to fit textbooks in my bag at that point.

11. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Mumbojumboo EDC Junkie!!!!!

12. J4C3

J4C3 Guest

Swapping bags i didnt mention i have both bags fully kitted up ,prob got 3-4 full kits of everything.

13. cowsmilk

cowsmilk EDC Junkie!!!!!

My first edc bag after finding this forum was a maxpedition devildog, which has since been modified. I carried that bag for quite awhile before trying out something else. There were a few backpacks tried between the devildog and what I recently carried which was a max jumbo. What I do know is that before changing to another bag there was a need to carry something which the current bag could not handle. This was and still is the theme I use to know when it is time to buy something else to try. If I didn't have this method of self control I would soon have a closet full of bags, and the wife would not be impressed. I just sold my jumbo to get my new bag, which I should have this week, a timbuk2 small classic messenger bag. For me, it is just about the perfect size for what I want/need to carry everyday. After using this bag for awhile I may feel the need to get something else, we shall see......

14. jikkyo

jikkyo Empty Pockets

Well, I only have one EDC bag right now, but it is very versatile so I use it in multiple applications. It's a Maxped Sitka. I'm actually going to sell it though... I want a black one instead and maybe another bag with more capacity/2 shoulder straps. I already have an Osprey Exos 58 for multi-day hikes.

15. C-Gypsy

C-Gypsy Loaded Pockets

My EDC bag (I just recently discovered that acronym & this site) has always been work related. I am a network engineer and which bag I carried depended on the equipment I needed to have with me.

Over the years I tried two backpacks (not enough organization). I always went back to carrying a messenger style bag. Most recently a Samsonite leather bag that after 10 years is really starting to show its age.

My most recent purchase was a Malaga. I received it 6 or 8 weeks ago and it is just right!

Please understand I am semi-retired. 30 years of technology is enough (actually too much).

Most days I do not carry a bag. I carry a thumb drive & a small multi-tool in my pocket along with a few other "necessities" on my person.

When I do take a bag it is the Malaga, loaded with my iPad, CAT 5 cables, 3 additional memory sticks, a few "Live" DVD's, etc.

The Malaga also contains Excedrin, Tums, a small manicure set and an extra handkerchief. The list of personal items is starting to grow so I ordered a Fatty EDC and an FR-1 which I hope to attach to the outside of the Malaga.

As far a changing bags, there are some drawbacks (in my humble opinion). First, my wife would probably not be impressed. Second, I normally carry a bag for so long that I never have to "look" for anything. I know where it is. I know which pocket to look in for what I need.

Each time you change bags you have to re-learn where everything is.

The Malaga is just right for my current needs so I do not anticipate purchasing another bag anytime soon.

16. Sycotics

Sycotics Empty Pockets

I've Been rocking the 5.11 Tactical Rush 24 pack for about 3 years now! The best pack I ever got

17. tems908

tems908 Loaded Pockets

After carrying a Maxped Condor II for a while I recently downgraded to a 5.11 Rush MOAB 10 for EDC. I still keep the condor half packed for trips away from the immediate area or longer trips. I have only had this system for a few weeks so I am still working out the kinks of the system.

18. plebeian

plebeian Loaded Pockets

My wife says I switch far too often. About once a month on average. There are so many nice bags out there. It's hard for me to stick to one for too long. The latest is a new 5.11 Rush 24 in OD.

19. TransportJockey

TransportJockey Loaded Pockets

It depends on which shift I'm working (12, 24, or 36 hours), how much school books I have to take, and what other gear I need to bring with me. Lately it's been about once a week I swap packs

20. rwon512

rwon512 Loaded Pockets

I change between bags almost every month. I cant seem to find one bag that im really set on. I've been switching between a 5.11 Rush 12, 24, and Camelbak Fourteener. Sometimes the Rush 12 is too small. Sometimes the 24 is too big. Sometimes the molle makes me feel like im standing out in a crowd. And sometimes the Fourteener doesnt have enough compartments. I'm welcome to any suggestions.