1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

How Often Do You Switch Bags?

Discussion in 'Where, When, & How Do We Carry All This Stuff?' started by neutrontech, Aug 2, 2011.

1. carrot

carrot Loaded Pockets

Like tmedina, I have duty-specific bags as well. I have two messenger bags that see the bulk of the use, one small and one large, and those are picked depending on the size of stuff I may need to carry throughout the day. These two are my daily bags.

I also have a couple different packs for hiking, mountain biking, climbing, etc, and I choose those depending on the weather and type of and amount of gear I may need to carry.

2. neutrontech
    • In Omnia Paratus

neutrontech Loaded Pockets

So, those of you who have duty specific bags, are they already loaded so that you can just pick a bag and go? Or do you have to select the bag, then transfer the contents?

3. Ghost_Recon1968

Ghost_Recon1968 Loaded Pockets

Multiple bags, the right bag for the right job. For the most part, they are ready to go (photography / general sports / running & cycling & the daily bag). The only items that are unloaded/reloaded are the usual small stuff like cell phone, wallet, keys, & knife.

4. Versatek

Versatek Loaded Pockets

M-F, I use a Maxped. MPB. Before that, I went through a Lands' End canvas briefcase about every three years. Since the KMart/Sears buyout, I have not been happy with the quality, or I might still be using those.

Weekends, it depends on what I'm doing. I have a Versipack and a Versipack Jumbo I swap some contents between. Also keep a Versipack-S as a dedicated rifle bag.

5. clock

clock Loaded Pockets

I have every bag set for a purpose. There is work bag, travel bag, ..etc. Every bag is loaded ( or half loaded ) for that job.

There is , however, a bag for (general support) and it has no fixed contents. It contains whatever is necessary at the time that cannot be contained in specific bags. Anything which (might ) be needed. It stays nearby most times.

Inside the bags, I have smaller pouches ( medical pouch, FAK, utility pouch, stationery pouch ..etc.) and those pouches are moved around from bag to bag as needed.

Today, the (support bag) contained some of the above pouches, wet wipes ..etc. I knew I would spend sometime away from grocery stores, so I squeezed in it some snacks and beverages.

6. Circle of Owls

Circle of Owls Loaded Pockets

I change bags often. Sometimes on a whim but typically based on size. I have a small Saddelback leather satchel (a bit too small actually), a medium black satchel/waist pack, and a large canvas satchel. Usually it is the canvas bag that goes to work with me since it easily holds lunch and text books when I need them. Most of the contents are packed into five small mesh bags, based on contents, so they are easy to switch between bags. I have a Maxped PFII that stays in the car and doubles as a larger backup for the others and makeshift BOB.

7. austindavis1989

austindavis1989 Loaded Pockets

So I've been on the quest for the near "perfect" edc bag. The biggest thing for me is finding the right size, not too big, not too small. My edc quest began two years ago when I decided I wanted to carry more than my pockets could hold, and a small novel at all times ( I love to read).

My normal edc carry consists of the following. wallet, cellphone, knife, keys, sunglasses, kindle (used to be stand alone analog novels), rain jacket or umbrella, nalgene/water bottle, altoids first aid kit, leatherman juice, leatherman skeletool scissors model, hand sanitizer, chap stick, tide to-go pen, stylus pro streamlight, two pens, sharpie, high lighter, day planner, sticky pad, kubaton, emergency poncho (one of the cheapo .99 cent ones from the grocery store), nutrigrane bar, crystal light packets, moist towlets, hanker chief, lighter, digital camera, ipod, chawly changer, mobile battery charger, and maybe a one or two other things if needed. About 5 too 7 1/2 pounds of gear total. None of it terribly bulky, probably could fit most of this into a fanny pack if I wanted too... not gonna happen though.

My first bag was maxpedition neatfreak which I bought in the summer before going back too college. It worked out perfectly during the summer, it held my essentials perfectly. . WHen I returned to college I relaized that it was too small obviously to hold books and notebooks, and I didnt wanna carry two bags at one time.

So the first bag I used was a small laptop bag. It lasted all of two weeks, it lacked organization. I then switched too a sling bag I'd found laying in the bushes at the theme park id worked at over the summer after closing hours. It was empty, no id in it, so I claimed it. It had better organization than the computer bag, but still not enough to satisfy me. It lasted about a month before I gave up on it. I then went out to walmart and bought a backpack on the cheap. It had decent organization, and it lasted the rest of the semester...barely. It was a cheapo so it fell apart.

So that summer I found the maxpedition sitka and fell in love. I loved the gearslinger design...at first. During the summer I was only carrying my edc gear in it, and for that the sitka worked amazingly well for it. I loved the organization and size of the sitka, and the gearslinger feature allowed quick access. Then I took the sitka on a short hike and loaded it with more gear, about 11lbs worth maybe...I learned the downside of the sitka. My pour shoulder/neck/traps. The gearsligner feature I once loved became a love/hate relationship. When I went back to school the one strap design flaws were soon realized once again. I learned the sitka while good for edc, does not make well for a school bag and edc bag.

So for a time i switched to a siwssgear backpack. I liked it well at first, it carried very comfortably, and had tons of organization. Only problem was I hated carrying it outside of a school enviroment or on weekends when I didn't need books it it. It was wwwaaayy too big for when I just used it as an edc bag. I soon ditched this bag.

This is really when my quest for the "perfect" edc bag began. I was looking for something big enough to carry a few textbooks and notebooks, and a laptop sometimes, and my edc stuff, without being too big for when I took my school books out. I didn't wanna have to use two bags, either. I didn't wanna take the time to transfer my stuff either. I had experimented with this for a little bit with the sitka and the swissbag using something similar to the max. pocket organizers, but I didn't like it. Cuz I had to use one for my kindle, and one edc gear, plus switch over umbrella and rainjacket. For some reason It annoyed me alot (im weird I know). Not too mention i hated having to dig out a sub pack and then open that up. Too slow for my taste.

So after ditching the swissgear bag (gave it too a friend) I went to a local consignment shop and bought like three bags. One messanger bag, a targus messanger bag/ backpack hybrid, and a metrosafe 350 for about $50 for all three. Well none of these worked out. The messenger bag was too much weight for one shoulder. The targus bag was an epic fail. It performed dysmally as a backpack, and was too much weight for shoulder carry when functioning as as school bag. The metrosafe worked out well at first. It was a good size, not too big, not too small. It lacked a little bit of organization, but a cocoon grid it in the main compartment solved that. I soon found that if I had to carry more than two books ini it, or if I had to carry a laptop in it, that it carried very uncomfortably if carried for more than a few hundred yards/ longer than ten minutes. This was a major deal breaker for me.

So then I bought a maxpedition pygmy falcon II (after the sitka and neatfreak i've become a loyal customer, love the quality of their stuff). The pygmy has worked out pretty dammed good for a while. It wasn't too big, and not too small. Organizaiton lacks, but a cocoon grid it fixed that. Sometimes I do find the size a little too big for my taste for some of my outings. Especialy something simple like going to the theater, or the mall. Not too mention as I've started dressing more conservatively and professionally, a backpack worn all the time doesn't quite go in all environments.

So one of my more recent edc carry experimental systems was a tropical (i lived in florida, enough said) scottevest i picked up cheap off craigslist and backapack. The scottevest carried my essentials and my backpack carried extras. I loved this system, it worked out great...except well...my fiance banned it. My fiancee was out of town when I bought the vest, and I carried it for a good two weeks before she got back too town and saw me in it. She put up with it for about a week before she banned me from wearing in public. I'm only allowed to wear it if I'm going camping, hiking, or fishing,

The scottevest and backpack system taught me something, the dual edc carry system. The most recent system I've developed is the maxpediton neatfreak and pygmy falcon. The maxpedition neatfreak (if not stuffed) fits inside the front pocket of the pygmy perfectly. So right now I've been using the neatfreak as my core edc bag, and the pygmy for extras and school books. It works out very well. I've been using this system since Late may now, and I've really liked it.

Alas, I've run into a problem I think every Edc person runs into when using a small bag.....its too small. The neatfreak is a wonderful little bag, but it lacks room for a few things I really really like to have on me. Living in florida, I've learned to always have a rain jacket or umbrella, preferably both. The neatfreak cant carry a rainjacket, and can only hold the pathetically small types of umbrellas. ALso the the neatfreak can't hold water that well, it can hold a few different types bottles ok, but I find that that it becomes to bulky and mishapen then. Also if I carry my kindle, which I often do, the water bottle doesnt fit in; and I don't like using a carabiner to clip it too he d-rings on the side, the constant swinging annoys me. Also a water bottle and umbrella definitely wouldn't fit. Not too mention that I generally find that the neatfreak is just too small, it holds my edc items...and thats it. Their is no spare room for extras (i mean small extras). I hate having to drag the pygmy with me if i wanna carry something extra like a magazine, nalgene, rain jacket, or something else similar. It just seems like overkill. Basically, the neatfreak is nice little bag, but too little for my taste. I liked to have a little spare room.

So this has led me to what I think is my new "perfect" edc system. After seeing the 5.11 tier system with the moab 6. The 5.11 moab 6 looks like the perfect size for core edc/ essentials edc/ day bag with room to spare. I plan on using it as just that, and then connecting it to either my max. pygmy falcon ii (gonna jerry rig something with the tier system and the y compression strap on the pygmy) or use my rush 24 (recent edition, picked up for $20 at a garage sale...couldnt resist the price) and use one of those for a school bag and large extras bag.

8. tower
    • In Omnia Paratus

tower Loaded Pockets

My EDC is a MaxP fatboy, but once a week I bump up to the MaxP Jumbo, so that I can carry my iPad easily. I also use this when I fly (because I carry my iPad). Sometimes I'll sub in the RUSH MOAB 10 for the jumbo. For more gear, the Sitka.

9. Cheeser
    • In Omnia Paratus

Cheeser Hey Bub!

As far as my EDC goes I have just gone from the last resort bag to the Mongo, which is better for carrying a change of clothes to work. Outside of an urban setting I have a fanny pack ready to pick up and go for summer hiking and a hiking bag, loaded up for cooler weather hiking

10. phaserrifle

phaserrifle Loaded Pockets

I tend to be selecting the bag and transfering the contents. most of the time if I'm using a spesific duty bag it's for something out of the ordinary, and so It's not worth keeping a bag dedicated to that role.
    the exception is probably my uni laptop bag, where I keep my paperwork, laptop ect. that only needs re-packing with the bit's I've used elsewhere (primarily, the laptop and charger)

11. Dooku77

Dooku77 Loaded Pockets

I would change my bag every 15 minutes if I could. I'm a maxpedition addict. I also have a large collection of dlsr camera bags. Just got my falcon 2 last week. Have the mpb on order already. I just love having my stuff organized and ready to go. Did I forget to mention I have to be able to take my sig 1911 with me as well. CCW pocket is a must.

12. indigo

indigo Loaded Pockets

I'm one of those duty specific people. I have one main bag (yes, a leather purse) that I take with me everyday that has my usual assortment of tools, keys and FAK. Then I have supplemental bags depending on the activity I'm to do that are always pre-loaded and ready to go at a moment's notice. I don't like to have to think about what to take or not just before the event. I always end up forgetting things that way. Once it is in the bag, it doesn't come out unless I'm using it when I'm out and about. That way things don't get lost. I have a "travel" bag for all my hotel needs, a "writer's" bag that is always loaded with my alphasmart and all the writing related things I would need at the local coffeehouse, and I have several bags with work related supplies, including a tool kit, display items and other things needed for my booth that come with me on the job.

I do not have a BOB, but I'm considering setting up one for our household. Too many wildfires in our area and a year or so ago we were close to the evac zone. I regretted not having a BOB that day.

13. Nubby

Nubby Loaded Pockets

I have a bags for specific functions. For my edc, I had a custom messenger bag mfr. make me a bag to my requirements. As such, it suits most my needs. It was pricey, but it his bombproof as it was designed and made by bicycle messengers, so they know what works and what doesn't in a messenger bag. I've used it daily at work for over two years and it looks as good as it did the day I bought it.

My opinion with most things is buy once cry once. I don't mind shelling out more money if it means I don't have to fool with buying a replacement in six months.

14. Darvis

Darvis Loaded Pockets

Mission specific bags here as no bag does it all, but the one bag I carry and like the most is the small to medium messenger style, most recently the Cocotte Fred (just switched from the Chrome Mini Metro). For me, in an Urban environment, it just blends in and I may be the only human alive that thinks messengers are more comfortable than backpacks. The key has been for me to whittle down to the bare essentials so that I have room for kiddy based EDC items like diapers and wipes, spare onesies.. yes... essential stuff these days. I think it's kind of funny sometimes that I have diapers AND knives, ham radios, and some serious flash-lightage in the same bag when the other dads I bump into have only, like, wipes and cheerios and maybe some used tissues. My bag may just freak them out!

A messenger= cool
    Diaper bag= not cool

15. Anonymous Romanian

Anonymous Romanian Loaded Pockets

I am having bags for various tasks: the deuter gigant for EDC at work and business travels, the kelty backpack for field work and longer travels, the samsonite backpack for dirty jobs since it is not waterproof anymore and was replaced by the deuter, the targus laptop bag i never use and i have a small pouch for my bike tools. I switch contents every time i switch bags and i adapt the gear to my future predicted needs.

16. s0uls

s0uls Loaded Pockets

got 2 main work backpacks and I switch between those 1 a month.

17. tweak4

tweak4 Loaded Pockets

I tend to stick with the same bag but switch the loadout. My work bag becomes my carry-on/"in the car" bag when we go on trips. I take out the work-specific stuff, leave the "general usage" stuff and add the vacation stuff and I'm good to go.

18. Gryffin
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gryffin Loaded Pockets

I could be a real bag junkie, except for the fact that I hate — HATE — switching all my gear from bag to bag. One thing I hate even more, though, is having to schlepp more than one bag.

Until recently, my "Suburban Assault Bag" was a Maratac Bail Out Bag, which was quite compact considering how much crap I could get into it, and even big enough for a few file folders... but not big enough for my 15" MacBook Pro. Now, I don't commute with the MBP, in fact I only haul it a few times a year. But that's more often than I like having to migrate my EDC gear from the B.O.B. to the Brenthaven laptop bag and back.

So after the last trip with the MacBook, I decided to upgrade to a single bag. I settled on a Maxpedition Kodiak S-Type. I actually like the "gearslinger" style; I've always worn the BOB and every previous briefcase cross-body and as high up on my back as the strap would allow, and the Kodiak does so very comfortably.

Yeah, it's a bit bigger than I'd like; the Noatak or Sitka would be plenty for my EDC needs, but the Kodiak gives me the option to carry the MacBook Pro without altering my EDC load, and there's plenty of extra room in case I need to stuff in a change of clothes, some shopping, books, or pilfered office supplies :)censored: copier paper is heavy! ;{). And it still fits into the trunk on my motorcycle, unlike others I tried (Maxped Operator, Maratac XL BOB).

So, how often do I change bags? Never again, at least until further notice!

19. legoman0721

legoman0721 Loaded Pockets

Right now I'm using a two bag system, with a Maxped Fatboy as the EDC bag and a conventional backpack for going to school. Like Gryffin up above, I'm planning on getting a Kodiak S-Type to consolidate down to just one bag. Hopefully after that, I won't need to switch bags very often at all!

20. Kontractor

Kontractor Loaded Pockets

I use a Falcon II that I take to work and a Jeroboam that I have photography gear in. I also have a Tamrac Aero 8 or something like that that I have been known to use for my camera stuff as well. I don't switch them out very often as it can be a pain.