1. Please update your bookmarks to use https://www.edcforums.com/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

How much of an impact is EDC worldwide?

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by Locomoco, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Locomoco

Locomoco Loaded Pockets

I know we all EDC for various reasons. There is probably a lot of reasons we share in common and for some, relatively unique ones.

I am in a position where I've been living outside the US in the Philippines for roughly four months now and I still EDC my usual stuff. I am not surprised to see quite a few people EDC'ing here as there is alot of collusion culture-wise between the USA and the Philippines.

But outside of the P.I. how many people in SE Asia EDC? In China, outside the airsoft crowd? Or Japan, where they have a greater frequency of earthquakes? Seems relatively few. Then again, it could be I'm just culturally "isolated" and not seeing evidence due to my western internet search engine preferences.

It got me to thinking, just how much of a phenomenon is EDC worldwide? Is it primarily a western culture kind of thing? Then again, I have a personal suspicion that much of the spread involves freedom to carry weapons such as knives. Once you have that "gateway" item (for lack of a better term) it just expands at that point. Japan, as many know, has very strict knife laws. I've always found it ironic that the land that created the Katana, the normal Japanese person can't carry a 3" folding knife.

For the sake of discussion, I am not really including cultures in extreme parts of the world like the Amazon or arctic circle where survival dictates whatever survival dictates. I'm talking about your typical countries that have a mixture of cities and rural areas.

Anyway, I'm curious especially for forum members outside the USA, are you a peculiar, rare kind of specimen in your normal environment? Or is EDC'ing much larger around the planet than I suspect it to be?

2. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Well technically, I think there is no doubt that 'edc' is a human habit no matter the jungles of say Borneo to the urban areas of NYC. The only differences being what exactly is in each person's kit!

When I lived in Asia (Taiwan, China, HK, Macau...) it was very common that most everyone from a business person to a taxi driver was carrying some sort of bag. Could have been a briefcase; could have been a very small 'gym' type duffel or shoulder bag. Everything from lunch, paperwork, some kind of reading material, jacket, umbrella, etc. Actually back then ('80s and '90s) I saw more of this behavior than when I returned to the US.

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

3. aicolainen

aicolainen Loaded Pockets

well, I can tell you first hand. The law dictates what you EDC even when you cross the arctic circle :)

4. ArkansasFan30

ArkansasFan30 Loaded Pockets

Echoing Moshe ben David, I think EDC exists in spite of culture. People have stuff they want to have with them when they leave whatever they happen to call home. Whether it be water in a preserved animal stomach or all matching tech products in nifty, nylon bags, this happened before MacGyver. Ask three generations of women what they carry in their purse, and you'll probably find a lot of commonality.

Since stumbling across the community of people who deem "EDC" to be something unique among themselves I've seen items added (and later subracted) from my EDC, but my "loadout" has been pretty static for at least a couple of decades.

Moshe ben David likes this.
  5. el_murdoque

el_murdoque Loaded Pockets

Well, this depends a bit on how you define the group of EDC people.
    First of all, everyone has to carry what is necessary to get through the day. In modern western society that seems to be:
    1. Clothing: To keep the body safe from the weather and to keep the socially required level of modesty.
    2. Keys to lock/unlock the areas you need to access/prohibit access for unwanted third parties.
    3. Some means of payment: A wallet, most likely.
    4. (Smart)phone.

Someone who carries these will not be viewed as an EDC Person. These are more or less the tools of the trade for the trade 'being a functioning member of society'

So I guess that if you were to find yourself in a society where it is common practice for everyone to carry 1.-4. plus a knife, a flashlight, pen&paper and some kind of multitool and you yourself are equipped with exactly these things, no one would think of you as an EDC person.

In my humble opinion the term 'EDC' is defined with people that carry more than the social standard excepts them to.

These people have always existed everywhere on the planet. I guess that even with our distant ancestors there wer specimen amongst them that carried not only the mandatory sabertooth-hide loincloth and boneclub, but also a few pieces of string, a handy small stone with a sharp edge and a second, smaller club.
    The age of internet made it possible for these people to get together and exchange - and become a large enough group to deserve a name.
    And since there was enough common interest, people sensed a possibility to gain financially by designing products for this new and unexplored market. My guess is that with a community connected through the internet, sharing information, others that maybe never thought about the whole topic became interested and the whole thing grew.

Moshe ben David likes this.
  6. MedusaOblongata

MedusaOblongata Loaded Pockets

People all over the world have EDCed things for as long as we have records, including fossil records.
    Most women and many men carry a bag.
    Everywhere that people wear clothes with pockets will find people carrying things.
    EDC and related gear forums may be limited in popularity to western culture, but that is likely true about typewriter forums and thimble collecting forums as well.

Maxpedition didn't invent the backpack.
    Victorinox didn't invent the knife.
    Leatherman didn't invent pliers.
    Surefire didn't invent the flashlight.

People carried this stuff long before the internet.

7. T Shrapnel-Carruthers

T Shrapnel-Carruthers Loaded Pockets

As others have said, pretty much everyone carries something when they leave home. Even amongst those who put some thought into what they carry, as I started doing long ago, aren't aware of EDC as "a thing". To me EDC is an interest in improving what we carry, looking for a better whatever (faster, lighter, smaller, more flexible, capable, etc.)

Incidentally, I think there are multiple ways into this community. For some it might be knives, but I stumbled here (slowly) through a couple of other sites that were focused on other pocket gear.

8. el_murdoque

el_murdoque Loaded Pockets

Yes! That's it spot on.
    EDC is about dumping your pockets, putting everything on the table and asking yourself how to optimize what you have before you.
    I usually carry a very small pocket knife and a tiny flashlight. In total less than 3 oz of additional weight to the stuff everyone carries.
    The thing that separates me more from a non-EDC person is the amount of thought that went into the things I have on me.

9. JOE68

JOE68 Loaded Pockets

As a kid, my mother carried a purse.
    So did my grandmothers.
    My grandfathers carried hankies, pocket knives, coin purses and wallets.
    Not one of these people has any clue what EDC is.
    They carried stuff that was practical to them in their everyday lives.
    EDC is just a fancy term that allows us to put a box around an idea.
    Whether you lug around a 50 pound pack, or just a card and a cell phone, everyone EDCs to a certain degree.
    What you EDC depends on the person, their lifestyle, and just how prepared they think they need to be.
    Everyone EDCs they just don't call it that.

Moshe ben David, Getahl and popedandy like this.