1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

How Much Do You Really Use "Everyday"

Discussion in 'Where, When, & How Do We Carry All This Stuff?' started by chrisemt, Jul 10, 2010.

1. Fukurai
    • In Omnia Paratus

Fukurai EDC Junkie!!!!!

interesting thread.
    For me is edc, what I can carry in my pockets, the rest is just addition to make your life easier.
    left front pocket:
    - wallet (used every day, keeps important documents, ok the duct tape card hasn't seen much use)
    - iPod touch, daily, jotting down my homework, listening to music etc.
    - SAK (at least a couple of times over the week, mostly the knife)

right front pocket:
    - keys with (daily)
    + torch (often handy)
    + USB Stick (important if you're in school and need to get the worksheet from your teacher etc.)
    - small etui w/ mirror and toothpicks (as often as I eat outside and need to clean my teeth, especially my braces)
    - LM Blast (not necessary, but I like to carry it)

In my jacket pockets
    - calendar (often to keep my dates in mind)
    - moleskine notebook (hoped to use it more often)
    - headphones (daily)
    - opinel (at least a couple of times a week)
    - pen (every day)

So I also carry 3 blades, but just because I like them all. I can leave my MT at home, well, but I don't. I think it's enough to be prepared, but I don't need an extra bag for it. Everything else is in my backpack I'm mostly carrying.

2. CootShooter

CootShooter Loaded Pockets

I use everyday:
    -iPhone
    -Fisher Pen
    -Zippo

I use at least every week so I carry everyday:
    -Flashlight (Fenix LD01)
    -Knife (Ritter Grip)

I carry everyday extra that don't get used:
    -Gun (Kahr CM9)
    -Pepper Spray (Sabre Red Compact)

Non-Pocket Carry:
    -Work bag(Victorinox Laptop Bag)
    -Laptop
    -Leatherman Charge
    -32Gb Thumb Drive (Apps/Encrypted Client Data)
    -8Gb Micro SD
    -Emergency Boot Disk
    -Cables (Cat5/Crossover/USB's/USB-Serial)
    -Cable tie roll

Outdoors bag(Maxpadition Fatboy)

3. simmerdownjack

simmerdownjack Loaded Pockets

My iPhone gets use every day the most. Next would my flashlight (on my keychain), and then my knife. Since I don't use my knife very often I'm thinking of moving away from the big locking folders.

4. HybridMomentsPass

just looked at my reply to this question and realize that I didnt really answer it fully

phone - multiple/many times daily
    wallet - ditto ( :( )
    Car keys on a biner with...
    Coast free light - use it at least once a week, even used it this morning at a friends new home while he was searching for the light switch in his basement
    PS4 - 4X a week on average, sometimes more, sometimes less

thats really it.

And as I stated - during work I keep my keychain in my locked locker and replace it with....
    key for the Master lock - multiple times per shift
    E4 - use it about every shift for one odd job or the other
    and those two things are on a small Nite-eyez S-biner which came on a multitool that came with a lot of multitools that I purchased from a user on here (i bought the E4 and 4 other small MTs from him, one of them had the Sbiner on it)

I got to say, it feels good using the things I carry on me :)

5. v137a

v137a Loaded Pockets

On my person, I only carry what I actually use every day - wallet, keys, knife, pen, lip balm, phone (which has doubled as a light source in a pinch). I've got a more complete kit in my work bag, in my car, and in the house, and a drop-in keyring with flashlight, multi-tool, and a usb drive if I feel like I need it.

6. Chili-Mac

Chili-Mac Loaded Pockets

Individually, there really is nothing that i use every day, 365 days a year. But all my EDC items form a system, in which my edc system gets used everyday. My multitool gets used some days, my knife others, but by having everything together it forms a usable system that sees use everyday in one for or another

7. Mickey Holmes

Mickey Holmes Loaded Pockets

My most used item is probably my flashlight and phone. Then my SAK's scissors. I don't use my knife as much as I do in the summer but I carry it still. I try not to carry to much in my pockets I don't use.

8. tonystl

tonystl Loaded Pockets

Things used everyday
    Phone
    Wallet
    Keys
    Knife
    Bandana

Sometimes
    Flashlight

I only carry my bag when going out and it stays in the car not on my person.

I've never understood, nor needed, to carry a bunch of things. And I'd love to carry my three favorite knives, but the weight would be too annoying.

Also, I can never understand when I see an EDC with a ton of stuff on a keyring. I guess I just hate clipping my keys to my belt loop and having them clang around like a building super. Plus the weight on the ignition would worry me.

9. gremlin078

gremlin078 Loaded Pockets

Everyday- watch &phone, sometimes-knife, light, MT, have and hope I never need gun and EDC bag with get home kit. Work is 45 miles away from home.

10. HybridMomentsPass

ooohhhh I forgot lipbalm!
    I use it almost daily too

11. Rattlesnake

Rattlesnake Loaded Pockets

Servus,

Since I have had a great deal of time on my hands, I have had the unique opportunity to go over my personal carry and my shoulder bag. I have found that anthing that I don't use at least once a week tends to get sorted out.

My personal carry includes:

Keychain with a couple of odd bits like a bottle opener and a USB stick
    My pocket knife in its sheath
    My lighter
    Wallet
    iPhone
    Notebook and Fisher pen
    Tissues
    Change
    My worry stone
    My Old Timer (stopped carrying the SAK until I can get some scales)
    My El Cheapo LED flashlight

All of these things get used regularly, some more often than others. My shoulder bag is a transport for other things that I may want to take with me but aren't as necessary or are personal/comfort items.

I would never criticize anyone for EDCing something I don't as everyone has their own personal idea of what is necessary. Example: despite being well-trained and comfortable with the carry and use of firearms and bladed weapons, I would never carry one as I don't live anywhere that necessitates it (not to mention it being illegal). I would never consider any knife I carry as more than a tool and I would be horrified to use one of them in a defense situation. Now, many of the members here carry pistols - that's totally cool if you feel the need to be armed as there are many places that could justify the carry.

In short - if it makes you more comfortable and you feel a need, then by all means carry it! :)

12. rockingthe2

rockingthe2 Loaded Pockets

This is a great post, I love hearing the reasoning behind all the methods.

I define my carry as more of a minimalistic, fuctional art form. That is, I carry a knife, a light, and multitool (OK, well an Atwood...) but I get one that appeals to my tastes and uses.

RF Pocket - Phone

LF Pocket - Cheap front pocket wallet with a spare key to my truck, Keys with a VIC Stayglow Classic (I'd love a minichamp or rambler, but haven't tried them yet), LaCie MosKeyto 16GB USB drive, and P-7 clip

Watch Pocket - (Above the right pocket for me) Sunwayman V10R Ti (soon to be replaced with the updated version)

RR Pocket - Curtiss Knives Nano or Spyderco Caly3 CF clipped to outside edge

RL Pocket - Atwood G5 Roid Rench Prybaby

I use my light daily (and nightly), and my knife at least every other day if not more. My keys are slimmed down to what I use and the P-7 keeps them from bunching up. My phone gets used daily and my wallet when I need it. The Atwood gets used the least of all but I have used it and the space it takes up is negligible. I buy what I want to use, as long as I will use it. I have no need for a folding titanium spork, and therefore don't spend money on one. However as I use a light and knife quite frequently I'll spend money on them, I just bought (today actually) or rather preordered the new Sunwayman V10R Ti+, it wasn't cheap but I had the money, I wanted it, and I will use it. I'm also buying parts for my pair of V10R's, custom titanium and tritium bits, and they are not cheap, but I use it and it appeals to my taste. I can say it helps me find it better in the dark, but honestly it's because I think it looks cool. I don't feel the need to carry around a bag full of stuff, but if I'm carrying a bag anyways, there's a backup in there. I carry in my vehicle (Still waiting for that vehicle forum, btw...) an emergency box with spares and food and whatnot, but there is no need for me to have it on me.

13. Jonb74

Jonb74 Loaded Pockets

So my true EDC is carmex, small knife like Vic Classic SD or leatherman style, wallet, and iphone. I use all of them everyday.

14. Soappeddler

Soappeddler Loaded Pockets

Today my wife and I went to the polls to vote in the primary. The poll worker told my wife she couldn't look at her ID unless she removed it from her wallet. Well, it was stuck in its sleeve. When my wife mentioned that she would need tweezers to pull it out, I got out my Uncle Bill's tweezers and handed them to her and she was able to cast her vote.

I don't use every item in my EDC every day. But a few do get used every day and which ones get used depends on the day.

15. bzimmerly

bzimmerly Loaded Pockets

This Thread!

1. Being a creature of the night, one thing I use every day is my flashlight. Depending on the circumstance, it can either be a Fenix LD10, a Streamlight Stylus Pro, or my headlamp, a Streamlight Enduro.

2. I'm a fanatical reader, and every day I spend about an hour reading Kindle books on my Samsung Galaxy S2 Android cell-phone with Kindle for Android. Every where I go, I carry a library of about 400+ books with me, and when working on a programming project, I often refer to one of the hundreds of reference books contained therein.

3. I'm always checking my watch for the time.

4. I always clean my hands with a bottle of hand-sanitiser before I eat.

5. There has to be a container for some of my EDC and EDU ("Every Day Use") items, and for years it has been my Maxpedition Neatfreak.

Those are my EDUs. Some items that I use EVERY WEEK at least once a week include:

1. My pens and notebooks.

2. My Swiss Army Knife ... mostly for opening boxes or letters, or trying to read the fine print on something with the magnifying glass. It's a Swiss-Champ Plus, and I have three of them thanks to an amazing end-of-year sale on Amazon where I bought two more for $27.50 each!

3. My EDC radio, the Kenwood TH-F6A, which is awesome in performance and portability!

4. My wallet, for obvious reasons, and the latest one is a SpecOps T.H.E. Wallet.

5. Two spare batteries for my SGS2 (above).

That's pretty much it ... the rest are survival / emergency tools. (Gun, Knife, Fire-starting things, sewing kit, sharpener, etc.) all kept in the Neatfreak.

When I need to take my HP Mini somewhere, the Hazard 4 Kato or the Maxpedition Malaga are loaded up and carried with me instead of the Neatfreak.

16. GRIFFINHAWKS

GRIFFINHAWKS Banned

Flashlights - Constant daily/nightly use .. You'd be surprised how much it will cut off you electric bill *)
    I use LR123A's in mostly single cell lights - Very happy to make the switch from AA/AAA - I also carry backup Surefire 123's ,^)
    [​IMG]
    I also use at least one of my knives every day

17. Fukurai
    • In Omnia Paratus

Fukurai EDC Junkie!!!!!

so you're using your flashlight instead of your normal house light to light your house? That's interesting...

18. ScottAW

ScottAW Loaded Pockets

If I just run in a room for a second, I usually use my light. My whole house is cfl bulbs that take a minute to warm up, no sense burning them out faster for 10 sec of light.

19. Fukurai
    • In Omnia Paratus

Fukurai EDC Junkie!!!!!

uhh, you also have to use these environment-friendly bulbs? We have to use them now by law.

20. NonSenCe

NonSenCe Loaded Pockets

use every day guaranteed: keys, knife and flashlight.

other stuff i carry because i might need it. convinience thing.