1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

How Much Do You Really Use "Everyday"

Discussion in 'Where, When, & How Do We Carry All This Stuff?' started by chrisemt, Jul 10, 2010.

1. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

I use eighty-five percent of the contents of my, comparatively, conservatively-appointed briefcase at least once a day. There is some redundancy in the briefcase with my on-body EDC items since I subscribe to that well-worn adage about "one is none...," however if I hear it again or see it in print, I shall hurl the remnants of my lunch.

maverickmonk likes this.
  2. chrisemt
    • In Omnia Paratus

chrisemt Loaded Pockets

Great responses! Thank you all for the insight into your thought process as to how/why you carry what you do.

3. Geargrrl

Geargrrl Empty Pockets

Some things I carry I use fairly regularly like my small SAK, light, and pen. Some things I carry I hope I never have to use like my whistle (in case I'm attacked, lost, or buried in rubble) or FAK. Then there's the category of fun or pleasing things like my glowsaic baby pacu. I don't need it, per se, but it makes me happy to have it.

GoBliNuke likes this.
  4. jsmitty1967
    • In Omnia Paratus

jsmitty1967 Go Big Blue

I too only pocket carry so the battle for me is what I can carry comfortably that gives me the maximum amount of utility. Even within multi purpose tools I try to select ones that will prove useful to me frequently and I try to avoid redundancy. I would rather have a tool with three functions that I need every day than a tool with 100 functions that I need once a month. I am a gear head so I would love to have all my stuff with me to be prepared for anything but it would take a rickshaw to haul it all and call me crazy but I just don't think that would be practical. Within my EDC the things other than what I use daily are items that when you need them substitutions will not work.

B_H_ likes this.
  5. saniterra

saniterra Loaded Pockets

I carry a good load with me wherever I go. I've got what I need to get home if some mishap strands me 200 miles away and I have to walk cross country the entire way. But everyday use is limited mostly to my water bottle, daytimer and pen, knife, cell phone, light, magnifying glass or fresnel lens, glasses and sunglasses, hat, monocular and digital mini camera. I also carry a pistol, but have never used it or even drawn it. I still go nowhere without it.

6. shew

shew Empty Pockets

Most of what I carry just comes along for the ride, but it's not much of a hassle. The extra space/weight in my bag is worth having some items around for those 'just in case' moments.
    The items from my bag I use most: knives, flashlight, first aid kit (I have two small boys), screwdriver, multitool, wet wipes and hand sanitizer, nail clippers, scissors, writing instruments, earbuds, and tape.
    Since I use these items regularly I don't want to have to load/unload my pockets every day..that would be a pain, so I use an EDC bag. Since I have a bag I have the space to carry more items, and it doesn't add that much more weight/bulk.

7. Krustofski

Krustofski Loaded Pockets

I use every item, every day. Except for the rare occasions when I actually carry a dedicated weapon. I am a minimalist, compared to most people on this forums, though.

B_H_ likes this.
  8. stugumby

stugumby Loaded Pockets

Well, I use my belt/pocket EDC daily, my lunchbox EDC bag at least 3 times a week. And Im always scrounging and tinkering with something useless to others but works for me.. My most commonly used item is a CRKT zilla jr tool and a Sak deluxe tinker.

9. dieselgeek

dieselgeek Loaded Pockets

These are from different days. So it just really depends on what I'm doing , or what I remember to take!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Tristar777 likes this.
  10. Boy SureFire

Boy SureFire May The Bridges I Burn Light The Way

Welcome to the forum dieselgeek, you've got some mighty fancy toys there (in the driveway too I assume :smitten:).

11. trickyasafox

trickyasafox Loaded Pockets

most used things I carry are probably
    flashlight
    pocket knife
    then bandaids (unrelated to the knife)

but I carry some stuff I'll probably never need (handgun) and things I use only occasionally:
    duct tape (few feet wrapped around an old school ID)
    para cord (wrapped around duct tape)
    safety pin, etc etc.

I won't carry so much stuff its troublesome, but so long as it does not take up so much space as to bother me, I'm okay with toting it for occasional use only.

12. asolo

asolo Empty Pockets

My flashlight is my single most used item. Followed closely by my leatherman micra on my keychain. Bandages and ziplock packs would prob be next

marcclarke likes this.
  13. bpa

bpa Loaded Pockets

Literally every day, not much. But my keyriing EDC items get used often enough to justify the weight. I carry an Inka keyring pen that was a gift from my children. Sentiment aside, the fact that I always have a pen on me provides daily comfort. That to me is use, even if I don't use it more than once a week. Ditto my Coughlan's scissors, and my Fenix flashlight.

14. uspopo

uspopo Loaded Pockets

Everything that I have in my EDC bag has a purpose and will serve that purpose when the time comes.

15. willofgod

willofgod Empty Pockets

Knife and phone are every day use. Pen and Paper *almost* every day. Everything else I carry are things that you really need when you need them, FAK and flashlight, etc.

16. yam350

yam350 Loaded Pockets

In my pockets every day, that I use, knife, skeletool, EO1, 6mm leadholder (pencil),phone, pen and pad. Most of the other gear in my bag will be used during the course of a week or minimum a few times a month.

17. afultz075

afultz075 Loaded Pockets

Aside from my phone, my Leatherman Micra gets used every day mostly for trimming my nails/cutting off a hangnail. My Photon keychain light usually gets used once a day for something. My knife gets used frequently, but not everyday, I always make sure I have it because it really stinks when I need it and its not in my pocket.

18. mlau

mlau Loaded Pockets

I go with modules:

base:
    keys/LM squirt
    multipen

man purse:
    wallet, checkbooks, med kit, sewing kit, drawing kit. drawing pad. ipod touch. duct tape. floss. matches/can opener.
    This all would easily fit in a small ziplock bag or pencil pouch.

I use everything but the duct tape/matches/can opener/sewing kit on a very regular basis. However, when you need it, you NEED it.

This list is after extensive streamlining...I may add a small flash light.

19. JDW1461

JDW1461 Empty Pockets

Amen to that! I try to keep it to 1st, 2nd, and 3rd line gear when it comes to uni-tasker type items but always try to keep the basics handy: food-shelter-fire-water-medical-security...or at least a means with which to obtain them in a reasonable amount of time.

20. bpa

bpa Loaded Pockets

Most of it. The items that see almost daily use are:
    Fenix LDP flashlight
    Coghlin scissors
    Mini prybaby XL

Less frequent use: Boeker keycomm

Occational use but always comfort:
    Souvenir bottle opener from Anchor Steam Brewery
    Proto screwdriver I have carried since high school (Some of my teachers were dinosaurs :))

Support my neurosis: a glasses screwdriver, that I carry because I needed one some time ago.

So, whether I use the item daily or not, everything serves a purpose at all times.