1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

How Much Do You Really Use "Everyday"

Discussion in 'Where, When, & How Do We Carry All This Stuff?' started by chrisemt, Jul 10, 2010.

1. TheGremlin

TheGremlin Loaded Pockets

So I don't necessarily buy in to the thought that you need to use something every day for it to qualify as every day carry. For me it is more of a "what do I not want to be caught without" kind of a thing. Out of everything that I carry, I probably only use my watch, keys, and phone on a daily basis, but the other items are so useful that I can justify the space/weight/upkeep associated with them, even if their use is less often, or even once in a while.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

2. dmattaponi

dmattaponi Loaded Pockets

Lately...

Pocket notebook and pen/pencil

Flashlight...always for something, usually during daylight hours or as a nightlight when I get up in the middle of the night.

SAK most days, but probably not all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bad Company likes this.
  3. victograph

victograph Loaded Pockets

Just reflecting on this again after a weekend camping. My daily carry which was used daily included: knife, flashlight, keys, iphone, wallet, notebook and pen. Threw a 4” adjustable wrench in my pocket for a bike ride and used it three different times to adjust wifed bike seat. That being said, when I got home I broke out my full set of tools to modify the seat and frame to lower it more. Could not make those changes in the field with my edc, but the edc got me by til I could get home. Thats sort of how my daily carry goes as well. They get me through hiccups of the day til I can get to other options.

dmattaponi likes this.
  4. Bad Company

Bad Company Loaded Pockets

Yes, I absolutely agree with you.
    By far, I daily use a pen and flashlight far more than any other edc items.

dmattaponi likes this.
  5. keycutter

keycutter Loaded Pockets

Every day at least once I use a flashlight. Same goes for a pen. I use the toothpick from my sak everyday as well for its intended purpose. I use a pocket knife close to every day but unlike the items already mentioned there are days that it isn’t needed. I live in a city in an apartment and am a gig delivery driver currently. The reason I added where I live and my job is that I’ve found those to be obvious factors for what we are discussing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

variable, Bad Company and dmattaponi like this.
  6. victograph

victograph Loaded Pockets

Changes based upon circumstances. Took my grandkids to Disneyland and emptied most if my pockets. Kept my phone, note pad, pen, royvon flashlight, wallet and keys. Got to security and was stopped because on my keys was an allen wrench which I use to unlock or lock entry doors to a theatre. Git searched, got wanded got the twice over. Just just thinking, you should see the stuff I left in the car. Just laughed and had a great day.

FiaOlleDog, KD5JHA and dmattaponi like this.
  7. Boy SureFire

Boy SureFire May The Bridges I Burn Light The Way

Interesting, my cuff key that's mixed in with my daily keys rarely gets a second look.... Unless it's a bigger courthouse, and in those cases they'll hold it along with my 750 lumen Fenix Tac light. My SureFire T1A Titan generally gets second inspection if X-rayed, but they let it go through.

dmattaponi likes this.
  8. KD5JHA

KD5JHA Loaded Pockets

I go through my bag no less than once a month and evaluate if anything has crept in that I’m not using. I have a way of letting that happen.

my bag is a mixed kit of professional and personal items and of the 4 main compartments on the pack only one is really EDC, the rest are all job kit related. So its not a light minimal bag, but the EDC portion of it is.

I really carry 80+% of my EDC on body and completely covert. (No exposed pouches or sheathes) and anything I carry on person has to be deployed at least once/week or its chucked to the collection.

i am constantly optimizing my on person kit and working on reducing weight while not sacrificing utility. Really it is quite a capable setup but not a bulky array of altoid tins and such.

FiaOlleDog and dmattaponi like this.
  9. KD5JHA

KD5JHA Loaded Pockets

A few years ago I started compartmentalizing my kit into pocketable pouches because when I would need to go through securety, or just change clothes from day today… It was a lot less painful to do a pocket dump and then get everything back in to the pockets in a timely fashion without holding up the show.

I remember the first time one of my coworkers saw me empty out all of my pockets because I was going to have to change my pants in the bathroom at work where I had gotten soaking wet. His mind was blown by how much stuff I had on me he wanted to weigh it, and I think we put it on the postage scale and at the time it was over 5 pounds that I had in my pockets alone, but at that time I had not moved into the world of titanium and I also had not gone more minimalistic with my tool kit. Nowadays I’m probably at half that though I haven’t dumped it on the scale recently. Put to it I would guess somewhere around 3 pounds counting my cell phone and my keys if you take the cell phone and the keys out probably 2-2.5

dmattaponi likes this.
  10. KD5JHA

KD5JHA Loaded Pockets

i’m really surprised they hassle you about your flashlight… I’ve been to court more times than I would like to admit (civil not criminal) and they’ve never done anything but run my flashlight through the x-ray scanner and give it back to me. Some of the courthouses won’t let me bring my cell phone in but that’s the only thing other than The items that you never get to bring in like weapons.

I could for sure see them saying no laser pointers considering that to be some kind of weapon because what do you need it for if you’re not making a presentation. But like I said I’ve never been hassled about my flashlight not yet

11. FiaOlleDog

FiaOlleDog Loaded Pockets

Interesting. What arguments do they bring up against a cell-/smartphone - a daily driver for billions of people worldwide?

Or is it that kind of a "brick" (outdoor) communications device that can be used to "hammer" people with? :frantic:

#331 FiaOlleDog, Jul 25, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2021
  12. thegrouch314

thegrouch314 Loaded Pockets

My on body carry sees fairly regular use.
    SAK almost daily, wallet most days, hank most days, pen and light probably 1/2 times per week. Notebook probably sees the least use at once every 2-3 weeks

As for backpack, that's more stuff geared towards back ups/jic stuff. Fak every few weeks, mini wash kit every month or so, repair kit very rarely and ifak never.

dmattaponi and FiaOlleDog like this.
  13. KD5JHA

KD5JHA Loaded Pockets

they don’t want cameras or audio recording devices in the court room. Simple as that. They also don’t want devices that can make a noise in the court room.

funny enough attorneys are allowed to keep their phones as are court officials. I guess they can be trusted.

FiaOlleDog likes this.
  14. smokingfish

smokingfish Loaded Pockets

Everyday.
    But I only carry 2 items, knife and flashlight.

Every morning, I walk into a dark resturaunt, to the backroom and turn on the power, its pitch black.
    Everyday we get boxes of products, which I open with my knife.

Sometimes I wear a watch, but im a sushi chef so I don't want my watch band to get wet.

[​IMG]

15. egp

egp Loaded Pockets

Used to carry a “p38” can opener on my key ring, had it for 20 yrs. Nobody said a word, airport’s, court house, govt offices, then one day I walk into a court house, key ring is in the tray, goes through the X-ray, the young deputy hands me the tray, the older, grey haired supervisor says “remove the P38 and leave it here, you can have it on the way out”, the other two deputies looked at him and I quizzically, I removed it with a smile and handed it to him. I’m confident he explained it to them.

twin63 likes this.
  16. FiaOlleDog

FiaOlleDog Loaded Pockets

Used my SAK (JetSetter model) to replace the CR1616 battery of my Casio G-Shock watch:
    • the Philipps screw driver (at the tip of the bottle opener) for loosening and tightening the four tiny screws
    • the tweezers made removing/reinserting the silicon ring and the battery easy
    • the toothpick allowed me to unsnap the battery holder and provided assistance in cleaning the inner case with some alcohol
    I hope this new battery lasts another 4+ years as the original did :cool:

#336 FiaOlleDog, Aug 30, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2021
    twin63 and dmattaponi like this.
  17. dmattaponi

dmattaponi Loaded Pockets

Seems like I use my pocket notebook and pen daily more often than my other edc items these days.

FiaOlleDog and twin63 like this.