1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

How Much Do You Really Use "Everyday"

Discussion in 'Where, When, & How Do We Carry All This Stuff?' started by chrisemt, Jul 10, 2010.

1. PBJS II

PBJS II Loaded Pockets

Used stuff today that sure ain't EDC. A Drill/Driver. A big pair of Vise Grips. A piker bar for lack of a better term (approximately 5 foot long tapered with a wedge shape at one end and a punch tip at the other end)
    Not stuff I even carry in the truck.
    I am on enforced vacation. Haven't needed a knife or a light and don't expect to.

GeneralGlenn and Gallows like this.
  2. znapschatz

znapschatz Loaded Pockets

:eek: That seems like a lot of stuff to me, actually more than I carry. May I ask how you distribute it without a bag of some kind or much pocket space?

3. GatorMedic

GatorMedic Loaded Pockets

My wallet is super thin which makes all the difference and my keychain is only a few keys. Wallet and phone left front pocket. Keys right front pocket. Gun IWB. Watch on my wrist.

If I carry a knife and/or light then knife clipped right front pocket and flashlight left front pocket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. znapschatz

znapschatz Loaded Pockets

Well, an ultra thin wallet probably makes a difference. Mine is the ultra thick, stuffed with everything guy wallet, but I don't carry a gun and not usually a cell phone. OTOH, I carry a multi-tool instead of a knife, but AAA or smaller lights and only a few keys, so on balance a bit less of a load. I make up for it when working as a photographer, though.
    What irony! When I started doing this, photo equipment was (relatively) big and heavy. Over the years as gear got increasingly lighter in weight, instead of easing the burden, it wound up requiring us to carry more stuff! So now I hump about the same poundage as all those decades back (but I'm not complaining, its been fun :dance: .)

5. moostapha

moostapha Loaded Pockets

I'm basically the opposite of her (and a dude). I LOVED my shoulder bag. It was a part of my daily uniform to the point that people asked me what was different if I didn't have it some particular moment.

I feel insanely out of place now that I switched to a backpack (injury). It's just...wrong. I can't get into it quickly enough to use it as a pocket replacement like I did the satchel. So, I'm carrying stuff in my pockets again. And, really, it's just wrong. I've done it every day for a couple months or so, and I don't know how people stand this.

I've seriously considered cutting everything except gun, phone, IDs, one credit card, and keys. And then leaving the stupid backpack at home too...because I don't really need stupid junk like a trauma kit anyway, do I?

Frankly, most days, I want to leave my phone in the car too. Basically, the gun is the only thing that's comfortable, probably because it's on my belt instead of in a pocket.

Maybe I can deal with my utx-70. But I still liked it better when my ultratech was in my satchel. Also, my primary light was an 18650 instead of a AAA.

Bag carrying everything but weapons is just better.

6. Jedigreedo

Jedigreedo Loaded Pockets

I have yet to start carrying a bag, although when I do it'll be put together more in the mindset of a get home bag rather than full of stuff that I expect to use every single day. As for my EDC that I carry on my person, I can't say I use every single piece every single day but generally there's a couple of items that come into use during the day. However, my EDC choices haven't really been dictated by what I expect to use but rather what I could've used in the past and whether I can comfortably carry it.

Typically, my gear is:
    - Knife, "rescue" type with a glassbreaker and/or seatbelt cutter, because I grew up with a reeaallly bad driver and having the ability to get out of the car comforts me. I carried a knife like this on me when I stayed with my sister for three months, and ironically a month after I left her and a friend were sitting at an intersection when a passed out elderly lady's car coasted to a stop in the middle of it. They and several others got out to help but nobody had a glassbreaker tool and had to wait for someone to get a crowbar to break open a window (emergency responders hadn't arrived yet). That really encouraged me to carry this type of knife because I was only thinking about my personal safety when I started carrying them, I hadn't previously considered the potential of aiding others in situations like that as well.

- 1x AA Flashlight, because whether it's staying out until it's dark and nobody turned on the porch light, or having to check in/under the car for something it's come in handy. During an ice storm our power was out for a week, when the streets cleared up enough we went to Wal-Mart for breakfast and to pick up some stuff. We sat down for a bit to get warm before ordering our food (built-in McDonald's) and the power went out five minutes later (and then a backup generator caught fire). Fortunately this was at the front of the store so there was plenty of natural light coming in, but it was definitely dark in the rear of the store. I was happy to have a flashlight on the chance that we could've been back there shopping. Furthermore, being in Oklahoma, I've been caught in numerous places that have lost power due to unexpected severe storms.

- Spare AA battery, Spare AAA battery, and Emergency contacts list in a battery carrier. I doubt anyone could argue the benefit of a spare battery. The contacts list is because there was one night while staying with the previously mentioned friend in which we both forgot our phones while making a midnight run for snacks and beer. There was a woman trying to find a specific camp site but her directions didn't work out, and the gas station clerk wasn't being very helpful with her. We both had smartphones but, like I said, we both forgot them due to each of us thinking the other had their phone, and the woman only had a flip phone so she couldn't look up the camp address again. Sadly, both my friend and I are terrible at remembering phone numbers so neither of us knew the number to someone we could call to look it up. We kept the woman company until a cop stopped by to fill up and was able to provide directions. From that point on I've made sure to include an emergency contacts list with something that I will feel compelled to not forget (there's also an extra copy in my wallet).

- Small multi-tool, because this has been hugely beneficial. I've managed to do spontaneous minor car repair, cabinetry repair, toy repair, and various other helpful small jobs because of it.

- Second knife, because I like having a more significant blade than my multitool (usually a Gerber Dime) and I feel more comfortable than whipping out a tactical-looking rescue knife. I'm keeping this role to smaller and more colorful (or non-black) knives in order for them to appear less intimidating. Sometimes I just carry a full size multitool in place of the second knife and the Dime. Overall I like having a second decent blade option due to the "two is one; one is none" ideal but I don't want to go to extreme lengths to adhere to that.

- Sunglasses, wristwatch, bandana, minimal wallet, and cell phone, all of these perform their pretty basic roles. I've actually not been a fan of wearing a wristwatch most of my life until I got one as a gift and it's grown on me. I feel more put together having something dedicated specifically to telling time, and they look nice. Plus I don't feel like I'm making myself a target for potential pocket theft since I'm no longer frequently taking my phone out just to tell the time.

- Keychain, because obviously we all tend to have an important key or two. I carry a couple different types of mini screwdriver tools, a mini-pry (the Shard), and a rechargeable light on there. My intent for how I outfit my keychain isn't really to have specific tools that will be useful everyday, but rather each thing that isn't a key is considered an expansion to the rest of my EDC. For example, the keychain light is to adhere to "two is one; one is none" at least when it comes to flashlights, but in a comfortable fashion.

- Paracord bracelets, because... well, these are so far the only thing that hasn't come into use in any way. I probably wouldn't wear one but a friend made a couple for me, I started wearing them for sentimentality and I've gotten to like the idea of having a few feet of paracord available at any given time.

Like I said, most of my EDC hasn't formed so much by what I expect to use everyday but what I could have used and what has come in handy in the past. Most importantly though is that it's to a reasonable extent and that I can keep it comfortably on myself without hindering sitting or mobility, if I can't move in a certain way because of a tool then I feel ridiculous. So far my EDC loadout only adds about 2.5 extra pounds to me distributed among my arms, pockets, and my belt. I can easily deal with that.

GeneralGlenn likes this.
  7. Dadpool

Dadpool Uber Prepared

I EDC seven things:
    1. Phone
    2. Traditional pocketknife
    3. Keys
    4. Atwood
    5. Maratac AAA
    6. Chapstick
    7. Wallet
    In a given day, I rarely use the Atwood or the Maratac. I use the pocketknife an average of once a day, my keys, wallet, and chaptstick several times a day, and my phone constantly.

I consider the light and prybar "just in case" items, so I'm not bothered that they don't see regular use -- I'm still glad they're part of my EDC.

Last edited by Dadpool, Sep 30, 2015
  8. PBJS II

PBJS II Loaded Pockets

Phone and pen(s) most by a long shot. Knife maybe once or twice in a day.
    Rarely need a flashlight. Never need the bottle opener on the Pioneer or the TT Pocket tool.

Gallows, Dadpool and GeneralGlenn like this.
  9. JHGM

JHGM Dinosaur Supervisor

Over 7 years later and I still quote this post from time to time elsewhere on the interwebz...

Love it.

:D

10. aicolainen

aicolainen Loaded Pockets

I couldn't possibly take the time to read through this whole thread, but I found the OP and one of the answers on the first page quite interesting.

He's on to something. There are a lot of over the top EDCs around, but I'm still surprised by his angle, especially for someone who had been a member for more than 4 years at the time. I guess it just highlights how different we are even though we share some common ideas.

Personally I'd be more than happy if I didn't need my EDC. Ever. Needing your EDC often to justify it, is not necessarily what it's all about.

OK, I'll admit, it's a good feeling when you get confirmation that you were properly prepared, so needing my EDC occasionally is actually quite nice :D

This guy nailed it though.

11. victograph

victograph Loaded Pockets

I guess for me my EDC is according to Shrek, like an onion. It has layers.
    My backup kit is really just that, backup. I don’t expect to use it every day, i know what is there basically gear to solve issues I have experienced in the past.
    My on person daily carry is used often
    Knife to open packages, cut cord
    My flashlight. I keep walking into dark stages, gets me to the light switches
    My hearing aid battery holder, never know when
    My SAK small cutting jobs
    My phone. Too often
    My wallet/s More often than I would like
    Beyond that I have my stage cases which should handle about anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. FiaOlleDog

FiaOlleDog Loaded Pockets

If judged by how often something from my EDC is being used I could cut it down to my on-person EDC: wallet, keys, smartphone, sunglasses and my clothing/shoes of the day - and since Covid-19 my stylish community mask.

The other stuff falls into the what-if category, prioritized by how serious an (unlikely but possible) event would impact me. That's why I carry a boo-boo and a trauma kit, a (rain) jacket, for in-town shopping, restaurant visits, etc.

Similar for out-of-town (business) travel things like a set of clothes (underwear, gloves, beanie, buff), laptop with power supply, 10.000 mAh USB power bank, etc. are added.

Most of my EDC is based on (bad) experience / things that happened to me (like needed to walk 2 miles from a train station to a customer facility in 35°C / 95°F completely sweating my shirt, out came the polo shirt from the clothes pouch and some deodorant for rescue) and has (gladly) not (yet?) happened need for the trauma stuff.

If we would be able to get a "what will happen today" forecast - like for the weather - we could trim down our EDC to exactly those needs for the day and leave the "what-if" stuff at home. But (thankfully?) there is no crystal ball ... which allows us to justify to carry our stuff "just in case" ;)

#312 FiaOlleDog, Sep 4, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2020
  13. Bad Company

Bad Company Loaded Pockets

Well, I work from home.
    Therefore, I have access to any tools needed for whatever reason.
    I mostly have my phone, a Tactile Turn pen, and a flashlight on me.

Moshe ben David likes this.
  14. dmattaponi

dmattaponi Loaded Pockets

SAK gets used everyday if only for a toothpick or scissors. Flashlight every night instead of turning on light switch inevitably at some point during the night.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

FiaOlleDog and twin63 like this.
  15. BobM

BobM Empty Pockets

My keys and wallet every day. Pocket pen probably every other day and my knife and flashlight probably once a week but since working for home during COVID I don't get out much during the week. When I do I usually end up fiddling with my light to pass the time waiting for something.

Bad Company likes this.
  16. Sentinel-14

Sentinel-14 Loaded Pockets

As you asked about the things in my EDC bag, I'll exclude what I have on-body.

Truthfully, I use what is in my bag very rarely. The most-used item in my bag, honestly, is probably the little M&M's tube that I keep spare coinage in. The rest are in the bag to cover unexpected happenings, like my first aid kit, my headlamp, backup folding knife, supplemental fixed blade, water bottle, phone charger, etc. I have forgotten my primary and secondary folding pocket knives before, so having a spare in my bag was handy. I've had my phone fail to charge at home on the charger, so having a spare in the bag is good when I notice it's dead during the day. My EDC isn't 'stuff I need or use everyday': it's "stuff I want to have readily available everyday, everywhere, in case I need it." It's about being prepared. :)

17. charlie fox

charlie fox Loaded Pockets

How is it that this post has been around since 2010 and I just found it:eek:

I have rethought my stuff a few times since the beginning of this topic. Now I’m down to the basics; watch, phone, knife, multitool, flashlight and wallet. Most days I’m armed as well.

dmattaponi likes this.
  18. el_murdoque

el_murdoque Loaded Pockets

My philosophy about EDC is minimalistic. I am not a prepper in any way, only carry items that make my life easier or more comfortable.

So I don't carry any survival gear around on a daily basis. In my pockets, I usually have a light, a knife and a pen, which get used multiple times each day. That is the very definition. If I was to carry, maintain and care for an Item that I have on my person every day, but only use every other week, I guess that the effort outweighs the benefit.

dmattaponi likes this.
  19. Moco

Moco Loaded Pockets

my ballpoint pen, marker and water bottle everyday w/o exception, and often my box cutter. i keep my victorinox and crescent wrench and screwdriver for JIC but hardly get used.

20. Marskindri

Marskindri Loaded Pockets

We are the same, I am also a minimalist and I don't like to carry so many items.

el_murdoque likes this.