1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

How Much Do You Really Use "Everyday"

Discussion in 'Where, When, & How Do We Carry All This Stuff?' started by chrisemt, Jul 10, 2010.

1. sungame

sungame Loaded Pockets

I live in Norway. Norway is usually marketed to foreign tourists as The Land of the Midnight sun. While technically, only about half of Norway actually has true midnight sun, we do have wonderfully bright summer nights up here. However, there is an astronomical downside to this: Our long, dark winters.

The Northern half of the country has what we call mørketid - literally dark time. This occurs in the winter, when the sun never actually rises at all. This period can last from just a couple of days to a couple of months every year. In the rest of the country, we do get some sun every day, but even in the south, if you work normal hours, you will not get much sunlight in the winter months.

In practical terms, this means that for many months, it is dark when you leave the house in the morning. It is dark when you scrape the ice off of your car windshield, and when you try to get the frozen lock to open. It is also dark when you leave your workplace in the evening, and when you fumble with your front door key when you return home.

Notwithstanding the time of year and my geographical whereabouts, I regularly find that it is also pretty dark at the bottom of backpacks, in the back of cupboards and in public restrooms during power failures. All in all, I don't find it very hard to find an opportunity to use a flashlight. Finding a flashlight in the dark without already having it on or very close to my person, on the other hand, now that is hard...

2. moostapha

moostapha Loaded Pockets

Taking my dogs out at night. We have flood lights, but they always poop in the shadows.

As a hard cross light to find small things dropped on the floor, even in a well lit room. Their shadows are easier to find than the stuff itself.

Inside my black bags.

Stumbling to the bathroom without waking up my wife or tripping over our black cat.

...all within the last 24 hours.

3. sungame

sungame Loaded Pockets

That reminds me that I forgot one important thing: If for some reason (marriage, parenthood, co-habitation, career as a professional spy or burglar...) you have to navigate a room at night without waking up someone who is sleeping there, the narrow, relatively weak, precisely directed beam of a small flashlight is much better than the harsh, eye-burning, all-enveloping ceiling lamp.

4. Cheeser
    • In Omnia Paratus

Cheeser Hey Bub!

Thats the main reason I carry a torch in my pocket. Plus it's handy when you drop something under the couch or need to check a kids throat to see if they are sick enough to not go to school ;)

5. PBJS II

PBJS II Loaded Pockets

Ain't about to leave the house without a flashlight. Been that way since 1993 at least!

GeneralGlenn and Cheeser like this.
  6. Getahl

Getahl Loaded Pockets

The flashlight I carry is small, a Fenix E01. I mainly use it at night, walking the dog, checking on my kid, changing a diaper or picc line in the middle of the night. Used sometimes during the day, but not often. But, it's small enough to not be a nuisance in the pocket until I need it.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

GeneralGlenn and sungame like this.
  7. FlyersFanJV

FlyersFanJV Loaded Pockets

I carry a Nitecore EC11, small flashlight to keep in my pocket. I work in IT, and there's plenty of times I have to go into a server room, get behind a rack, and use the light to see what's going where cable wise, or to get a serial number. Or if I'm under a desk setting up a new desktop, and need to see what to plug in where. Outside of that, I keep one on my when I know I'm going to be out late, or going somewhere dark. I have the one on my iPhone too, but rather have a dedicated light.

GeneralGlenn likes this.
  8. moostapha

moostapha Loaded Pockets

That's what I want (my e12 annoys me on some days). But not twisty. The closest I can find is a photon microlight. And, really, it's not that good.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

GeneralGlenn likes this.
  9. Mudinyeri

Mudinyeri Loaded Pockets

Of the things that I carry on my person, I use my knife, flashlight, cell phone, watch, wallet, chapstick, keys and pen almost every single day. My Leatherman and peanut lighter get used once or twice a week. Thankfully, I have never had to "use" my Walther PPS.

10. Getahl

Getahl Loaded Pockets

Things actually used every day generally tend to be run of the mill things. Bic pens, pads of paper, my car keys, wallet, and phone, my work laptop and wireless mouse, a small desk fan, my phone. I use the nail file on my Vic Classic more as a staple remover more than a nail file; the community remover at work seems to walk off often.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

GeneralGlenn and Mudinyeri like this.
  11. PBJS II

PBJS II Loaded Pockets

Agree that pen and phone are quite indespensable. But blade averages at least one use a day.
    Those documents aren't going to jump out of that plastic!

GeneralGlenn and Gallows like this.
  12. Towanda

Towanda Loaded Pockets

Every day:
    Watch
    Phone
    Writing instrument
    Knife
    Keys
    Phone kickstand
    Squeezy vinyl coin pouch
    Wallet
    E-cig and associated items

Often:
    Paracord (knot tying practice)
    Multi-tool
    Flashlight
    Nail clippers
    Lip balm
    Pry tool

Rarely:
    Mini grappling hook
    Lighter

Sent via carrier wave.

13. Rasthor

Rasthor Loaded Pockets

I carry the following stuff on my person, and with the exception of the lighter and paracord bracelet, they get used a lot, every day.

Paracord Bracelet
    Wrist Watch
    Wallet
    Flashlight
    Keys (Truck, house, P38 can opener, work key fob, Leatherman Style)
    Lip Balm
    Contact Lens Rewetting Drops
    Lighter
    Knife
    Pen
    Writing Pad
    Reading Glasses

Work days, the list is augmented with
    1 ea. Straight and Phillips 'tweaker' type screwdrivers
    Mechanical Pencil for noting changes on blueprints
    Sharpie for everything else
    4-way Electrical/Electronics enclosure key (which also works on the garden hose connections outside)
    And my work keys on a paracord lanyard.

With the exception of my lunch and coffee, the contents of my EDC bag may not get used daily, but they do get used regularly.
    Spare AA and AAA batteries
    Bandana
    Gloves
    Spare knife and flashlight
    Spare pen and pencil
    Samsung Tablet
    Boo Boo kit
    Saline Solution and Case for my contact lenses
    3 plastic bags of different sizes
    Sunglasses
    Multi-purpose Wipes
    And a Pelican Case with my USB battery pack and various cables in it.

GeneralGlenn and Gallows like this.
  14. Southpaw

Southpaw EDC Junkie!!!!!

This applies to the 80/20 principle. 80% of the things you own, you only use them 20% of the time. Same thing the othe way around. 20% of the things you own, you use it 80% of the time. I noticed in the past, the more "sets" I had, the less I use gear. Sets meaning gear in my emergency bag, gear in my edc bag, gear at home then gear on my person. I noticed what works best for me is having gear that is either on me and in my edc bag. That's it. Bc my edc bag goes with me when I leave the house and when I get home. Therefore I will always have two tiers of gear. Obviously gear on my person is more compact and gear in my edc bag are bigger heavier duty tasks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. GeneralGlenn

GeneralGlenn EDC Junkie!!!!!

The 80/20 principle works for so many things, it's surprising.

I do a similar thing, with the only exception being a dedicated work EDC vs non work EDC. Whatever works right?

Gallows and GatorMedic like this.
  16. GatorMedic

GatorMedic Loaded Pockets

I've thought about how simple it would be if I actually carried everything on my person in terms of negating the need for redundancy. If I actually carried everything on my person than I conceivably would only need one or two "sets" of gear (I like having separate work and non-work setups). But alas, I don't like carrying much on me. My "heavy" off-duty setup is carrying a flashlight and knife, in addition to the guaranteed phone, keys, wallet, watch, and gun. That's it. Multitool, FAK, notebook, pen, etc are never on my person unless I'm actively doing a task that requires them at that very moment. I'm not even guaranteed to be carrying a knife or flashlight as sometimes I just don't feel like it. This means I have to have multiple "sets" of gear placed strategically so it's available if a need arises. For me this equates to home, truck, work bag, and EDC bag. It's definitely the more costly route but I don't have to lug around as much gear in my pockets all the time this way. Although technically the home set could be removed due to my truck and both bags will be at home with me if I am, but it's more convenient to not have to rifle through bag or truck when I need something for a quick task at home.

Gallows and GeneralGlenn like this.
  17. T Shrapnel-Carruthers

T Shrapnel-Carruthers Loaded Pockets

I have separate work & non-work bags to minimise the risk of leaving home without something essential. There is not a lot duplication: pens & notebook, spare batteries, a couple of cables, and a penlight. I have managed to get two sets of headphones so I carry one of those too. The only non-duplicates are laptop and iPad which go into whatever bag I am taking. The rest is on my body.

GeneralGlenn, GatorMedic and Gallows like this.
  18. znapschatz

znapschatz Loaded Pockets

Sometimes I wonder if attitudes about carrying stuff has a gender basis. Usually, whenever my wife and I go out somewhere, my pockets are almost always loaded down with my stuff and sometimes hers (which btw I don't mind in the least.) She dislikes carrying things on her person, always has very little in her pockets (balled up Kleenex, mostly), while I'm the opposite; almost never without the full complement of tools and toys on me.
    Over time, I have noticed that most women in most situations carry few items on their persons but rely on purses or bags.
    OTOH, except when committing photography, I never carry my gear like that, at least not on a regular basis. Bags get misplaced or stolen. For personal items, it's pockets only for me, or a pouch firmly attached to belt (no clip-ons!) That makes sense to me, but my wife conducts herself otherwise. She thinks my attitude is eccentric, but harmless and sometimes useful to her when she needs something, like to clip her toenails, when we're away from home. Somehow, over the decades we have both managed to live in peace and harmony, despite our deep differences over this matter, so I can't say whose is the better attitude.

19. GatorMedic

GatorMedic Loaded Pockets

A good chunk of it has a lot to do with societal gender implications I would assume. Clothing designers think women don't need pockets or pockets that are tiny as can be. Most assume women should carry purses. I hate purses and will absolutely never carry one. Women's clothing is primarily designed to be tight fitting and revealing of their body. So in other words pockets jammed full of gear is not the design point. Men's clothing is primarily designed for comfort and utility though. At work when I'm wearing my "tactical" uniform pants I have my pockets loaded down with a decent amount of gear and my pants are legit heavy with all that stuff in there. When I'm off-duty I try to free myself of all that baggage and rock light shorts. Not to mention I play sports every second I get a chance. Ever try carrying a bunch of gear in basketball shorts? Yeah, doesn't work too well. Plus outside of work, I honestly don't need much gear. A knife and light is all I need tops outside of my staples (phone, wallet, keys, watch, and gun). It's all good though. People use whatever system fits their wants/needs the best. People are different so their system is different. Rock on no matter :)

20. T Shrapnel-Carruthers

T Shrapnel-Carruthers Loaded Pockets

Certainly easier, socially and aesthetically, for men to carry more on their person whereas women are able to carry a handbag without question.

GeneralGlenn, Gallows and GatorMedic like this.