1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

How Much Do You Really Use "Everyday"

Discussion in 'Where, When, & How Do We Carry All This Stuff?' started by chrisemt, Jul 10, 2010.

1. snaplok

snaplok Loaded Pockets

I wouldn't leave the house to go down the block without a knife, flashlight, lighter, and phone, but then again living in NYC lots of things happen when you're close to home. :eek::censored::help::frantic:

GeneralGlenn likes this.
  2. moostapha

moostapha Loaded Pockets

Not comfortable at all, but I manage.

I've done it a few times recently and learned my lesson. The bag has magical properties such that having it means I won't need it more than maybe once and nothing will really go wrong. If I leave it in the car, I'll need something out of it once before I go back, twice if it's somewhere without re-entry (e.g, concert). If I leave it at home or in a hotel, I'll need something out of it more desperately at least once an hour.

Some (carefully selected, rule confirming) examples from recent memory...

Concert. No re-entry. Bag in car. Needed burn cream (minor lighter blister) and pain killers (back ache) for 2 different people. First aid station was willing to give out neither without a trip to the hospital.

Wedding (as best man). Bag in hotel. Needed multi tool, bigger knife, battery pack, cordage, backup lighter, hand sanitizer, flash drive, USB cables, and duct tape at least once each. We ended up making do without some and paying for amazon prime now for others, since none of us were sober enough to drive back to the hotel. The groom actually told me not to bring it because the u-haul had everything they would need...except all that stuff.

Different wedding (as groomsman). Bag in a locker on site. Didn't need anything except my evaporative cooling towel. But, it was an outdoor wedding in the summer in Florida. If I'd been naked, I still would have had that towel.

I never had a problem carrying a shoulder bag, since I'd been doing it so long, it's just a part of how I looked. But since I've switched to a backpack...I feel like a moron taking it into restaurants, stores, etc.. But it feels like something out of it would make life easier/better basically every time I do anything more than run into a gas station for a soda.

GeneralGlenn likes this.
  3. ArkansasFan30

ArkansasFan30 Loaded Pockets

I hardly ever need anything not in my pocket and infrequently make use of what I do keep in my pockets. Granted, it seems my wallet comes out more than I'd like it to. One thing about a bag is that I don't want to open it, retrieve an item, and put it back. Yes, I have an EDC bag, but I don't carry it as a woman does her purse. I suppose the answer is that I fortunately don't implement my EDC gear with any degree of regularity. Am I going to stop carrying my Leek and MicroStream? Heavens, no.

Actually I find the flashlight gets more use than anything.

GeneralGlenn likes this.
  4. GeneralGlenn

GeneralGlenn EDC Junkie!!!!!

Where do you live in the Netherlands that you need your passport every day?

My best guess is that you need to be able to ID yourself, which you can do with your drivers licence, which is much more convenient to carry.

5. T Shrapnel-Carruthers

T Shrapnel-Carruthers Loaded Pockets

I live near Den Haag.

When we first arrived we were issued alien ID cards but they don't do that for EU citizens any more. I was told we had to carry passport instead but driving license might be enough. I will ask at the gemeente.

GeneralGlenn likes this.
  6. GeneralGlenn

Dutch law states that the following are legal ID or "legitimatie bewijs":

-Drivers licence (the pink credit card sized one anyway, don't know about the old paper one)
    -passport
    -ID card
    -vreemdelingendocument.

Since you're obviously an immigrant, I would check to be sure, but I'm 99% certain. I still have the law books from school somewhere..

7. Serena

Serena EDC Junkie

If you're NOT Dutch, then the drivers license isn't good. Then you do need to carry a passport and your 'vreemdelingendocument'.

8. GeneralGlenn

Good thing I said check then:)
    Thanks!

9. Tallboyjim

Tallboyjim Loaded Pockets

Pen, watch and phone everyday. Minichamp or manager most days. The rest is job/event specific.

GeneralGlenn likes this.
  10. T Shrapnel-Carruthers

T Shrapnel-Carruthers Loaded Pockets

vreemdelingendocument - is that the same as Verbliefsdocument? which is what I had originally but don't get any more.

GeneralGlenn likes this.
  11. Wishoot

Wishoot Loaded Pockets

Knifes and flashlights are used everyday.

Everything else is used periodically, but I'm always glad to have it on me or nearby.

GeneralGlenn likes this.
  12. Tallboyjim

Tallboyjim Loaded Pockets

I forgot about flashlights!! Ive bought at least 10 in the last 12 months. Ive ordered a head torch of all things today. Don't use them daily - even though I carry at least one every day. They get used fairly regularly though.

GeneralGlenn likes this.
  13. znapschatz

znapschatz Loaded Pockets

GeneralGlenn likes this.

Huh?

GeneralGlenn likes this.
  14. GeneralGlenn

Yes I did! And for two reasons.
    One: I'm easy with likes
    Two: double posts are funny somehow

Bad Company and Wishoot like this.
  15. Wishoot

Wishoot Loaded Pockets

I like the fact you like things.

Bad Company and GeneralGlenn like this.
  16. GeneralGlenn

Your liking has also been liked ;)

Oh god, where is this going..

Wishoot and Bad Company like this.
  17. Wishoot

Wishoot Loaded Pockets

I believe the expression is "Thread derailment".

I'll try to be relevant in this post however.... In addition to my knife and flashlight I have to mention my wallet. It's one of those Duluth Trading Smallets and it's been a lifesaver since day one. Previously, I carried around a tri-fold wallet and it was chock-full of all kinds of stuff. It got to the point where sitting was a chore (and painful as well). The Smallet forced me to downsize to only the essential stuff and now I can sit pain-free.

It's starting to fall apart after a couple years of non-stop use so I ordered something similar. It's from a Kickstarter campaign and untested, but the concept seemed solid and I should have it in my hands soon.

GeneralGlenn and Cheeser like this.
  18. GeneralGlenn

Knife: virtually every day. There are occasional moments, but they're rare. I can do all of my cutting with a SAK, but there's no fun in that like someone said before.
    My EDC has been, for quite some time now, the Ontario Rat 1. But my eye has fallen on a Spyderco Paramilitary 2.

Handkerchief: daily, don't leave home without it.

Wallet: daily, as I must buy stuff, SL mostly debit card, second is travel card, which is on a slight break now during summer holidays. Insurance card and student id are never used (except for discounts at the cinema) but they're nice to have, and they don't make my wallet any fatter. Membership card for the supermarket is used around 3 times a week.

ChapStick: all day every day. No matter the weather, I need it. Also good for keeping carbon blades rust free.

Phone: every day. Edcforums of course. No watch for me, I only break them, so I use my phone instead.

Torch: I've had a fenix e01 in my bag for around a year, and hardly ever used it, then I got a proper EDC light (eagletac D25A clicky) and I've been amazed at how much use it gets. I was sceptical about EDC-ing a light at first, buy it's been a massive improvement. I lived life without one just fine, or so I thought, but I'm never going back now.

Am I missing anything? Probably

Wishoot likes this.
  19. karlito

karlito Loaded Pockets

A number of you have stated that your flashlight gets used constantly; how, why? I carried one for a few months because it was the edcers thing to do, but it NEVER got used. Maybe because I am outdoors in the daylight all day. Please enlighten me ;) on where, when, why you have found so much use for your lights.

GeneralGlenn likes this.
  20. sungame

sungame Loaded Pockets

Quite comfortable. Everything I really need to carry on a typical day is usually in my pockets. If you do not carry it every day, it is not really EDC.

Gallows and GeneralGlenn like this.