1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

How Much Do You Really Use "Everyday"

Discussion in 'Where, When, & How Do We Carry All This Stuff?' started by chrisemt, Jul 10, 2010.

1. AB.AlexB

AB.AlexB Loaded Pockets

I use knives to open packages of more knives... This hobby is stupid LOL.

2. =RedFox=

=RedFox= Loaded Pockets

I was laughing to myself as I did exactly this the other day

socaldsal likes this.
  3. CSM-101
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

CSM-101 EDC Junkie!!!!!

Or how about using your flashlight to look under the couch for, you guessed it, another dropped flashlight.

4. bj_key2003

bj_key2003 Loaded Pockets

I use my Para 2 for package opening quite a bit, the Fisher bullet space pen all day long, and my Swisstool Spirit RT for odds and ends..

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

5. gooseman1991

gooseman1991 Loaded Pockets

Every single day.....chapstick....and keys provided I leave the house.

6. PBJS II

PBJS II Loaded Pockets

Been using my Fenix P2D pretty much daily because the switch has gone out in the driver restroom at SDV and for more than 3 weeks they haven't got it fixed. Use a knife pretty often to slit the plastic that contains documents.

7. echo63

echo63 Loaded Pockets

I use my flashlight, watch, phone and keys daily.
    Knife and wallet gets used regularly, but not every day.

bzimmerly likes this.
  8. JustinJ
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

JustinJ Loaded Pockets

from the pockets...
    Embassy pen gets daily use writing things down or fidgeting with it. does the fidgeting count as use?
    whichever knife I'm carrying gets used peeling fruit on my lunchbreak mon-fri, mail opening, that kind of thing.
    keys get used daily whenever i go someplace or return home, so at least 6 days a week.
    iphone gets used for phoning, movie watching, ebook reading, and game playing every day of the week.
    Wallet gets used whenever I buy something, so 5 times a week minimum.

going into the EDC bag, we have...
    the bag itself, for toting things around. at least 6 days a week (all workdays + laundryday)
    headphones for enjoying games/music/movies on phone when I am away from home, so that's 6 days a week
    flashlight: maybe 2 or 3 times a month, but I'm glad its there when I need it, so it rides in the EDC bag these days instead of in my pocket.

bzimmerly likes this.
  9. bzimmerly

bzimmerly Loaded Pockets

I agree with echo63; flashlight, watch, phone, keys, and regularly the knife and wallet. I would add one other thing in my EDC that I use every day is hand sanitizer. :cool:

10. bull_paqqy
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

bull_paqqy EDC Junkie!!!!!

SAK compact for toothpick
    enzo 75 for blade open boxes
    fisher space pen for signing receipts
    d25c

11. Dark

Dark Loaded Pockets

Twice a day on average.

I thought I'd respond as minimalist as possible :D.

12. brentizzle

brentizzle Loaded Pockets

My lil gerber Bear Grylls pocket tool and mini mag lite get daily use, mainly at work though.
    Opens more beer bottles than anything else.

13. J_C
    • In Omnia Paratus

J_C Loaded Pockets

Of course you are responding to a question from 3 years ago from someone who hasn't posted in 6 months.

I'll wait until he checks back in to update my original reply. :)

14. Mike Keith

Mike Keith Loaded Pockets

Scanning through this thread, I'm intrigued by the number of variations of "knife/light/phone/wallet" that seem to form the core carry items for pretty much everybody that has replied.

I wonder if any two people here have ever unknowingly ended up carrying the exact same mix of brands and models? :p

Going back in time to the original question of this thread... Every item in my everyday carry gets used at minimum once every couple days, otherwise I wouldn't bother carrying them. What I carry every day is the core knife/light/phone/wallet pocket mix. There are a bunch of other items that I carry regularly, but not daily. I'd say my gear was modular, depending on needs for a particular day, but I'm not that organised!

revisions and sungame like this.
  15. Saffa2

Saffa2 Loaded Pockets

i carry a blackberry curve, dummy corded protrek watch, RAT 1/bencmade triage/ buck vantage, if at work a leatherman wave or supertool 300 eod, wallet and keys with a little inova squeeze light. im surprised by how often i use the innova, and obviously the protrek and phone are used a 100 time a day. keys as well. i recently started carrying a parker stainless jotter clipped to my dog tags as well but i dont use it all that much because i usually have a pencil case in my bag when going to varsity classes. on my dog tags i chenged the ball chain to gutted 550 and it has my tags obviously, st michaels tag, celestemine in a pill holder. everything i carry gets used, and used regularly

16. Nick4305
    • In Omnia Paratus

Nick4305 EDC Junkie!!!!!

I use a lot all my EDC stuff. And it's never enough...

17. JHGM

JHGM Dinosaur Supervisor

Guess I'm typical in the stuff that gets used everyday...

Flashlight 20 to 30 times daily, knife 10 to 20, watch, phone, pen, etc...

I've got two items that I carry every single day and do so hoping to NEVER use!

Glock 19 and Ka-Bar TDI...:D

bzimmerly likes this.
  18. Cobra 6 Actual

Cobra 6 Actual Loaded Pockets

Things I use the most:

1. Scissors on Vic Classic.
    2. Blade of Benchmade 910 to open stuff.
    3. Toothpick on Vic Classic to, well, pick teeth.

revisions likes this.
  19. revisions

revisions Loaded Pockets

Just concerning myself with stuff on my person (not in my edc/work bag):

Pen, Knife, small multitool, small flashlight, phone, glasses, watch, wallet, keychain.

------------

Fisher Space Pen -- used all day. A recent addition. I used to be that IT guy who came to your desk to help you with a problem, and accidentally (I promise.) walked off with your pen. Not anymore!

SOG Twitch I -- used frequently for wires, tape, packages. 0-5 times a day, but in the week or so I've had it, I haven't thought about not carrying it. Still trying to determine the scare-factor on this, I think people are a bit put off by how quickly it appears, opened, in my hand when needed.

Pocket-size multitool (Leatherman Squirt PS4, Gerber Dime. Copper Alox Minichamp arrived today and will go into the rotation until my skinth gets here and I can finalize things) -- used every day. I needed the screwdrivers (both) and pliers today, and I used the 2D phillips for nail cleaning.

Preon P0-SS -- 0-2 times a day, probably the least used but you're always so happy/well-praised when you do have it. My favorite addition since getting into EDC formally. Used today to check the label on a network jack behind a desk--saved me from moving the desk, and frequently does.

Phone -- constantly, all day every day.

Burberry Glasses -- Essential. I think these are often overlooked but if I had to choose one piece of EDC..? I'd be thoroughly useless without these.

Casio Tough Solar Watch -- I could live without it (cell phone = watch) but I don't like to. Far more discrete for checking "how long till I can get out of this?" than pulling the phone out and/or turning on the screen. I'd be surprised if I check it less than a couple dozen times a day.

Wallet -- not only handy for paying for lunch, but hides an access card for opening office doors to server rooms, etc. I don't like sitting with it and try to leave it at my desk if I don't think I'll need to open a special door. Unfortunately even a trip to the bathroom requires this.

Keychain -- Opens and engages the car, allows entry to the domicile. Has a SwissTech utili-key that I have never used in the 6+ months of owning it (though the phillips on it does look decent, and I wish I would remember it's there sometimes). Has clips for attaching the pocket multitool of the day, the flashlight, and one for good luck. The flashlight and my squirt have a tiny loop of paracord with a simple knot that go on the clips when I'm driving/moving about. The Fisher pen gets clipped to the paracord, which provides its only real function other than ease of getting them on/off the clips. When voltron is combined, all the stuff from my right front pocket ends up on the keychain except for the SOG, which makes life a lot easier.

If I don't potentially use it every day, it won't be carried! (edit: except for the utili-key.. I really don't know why it's still there other than it fills a space on my key organizer)

Last edited by revisions, Aug 28, 2013
  20. revisions

revisions Loaded Pockets

Agree 100%, I would only add keys to the list! I also think people overlook the absurd amount of use watch + glasses/contacts get, but I don't think they're in quite the same vein as this core you speak of =p