1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

How Much Do You Really Use "Everyday"

Discussion in 'Where, When, & How Do We Carry All This Stuff?' started by chrisemt, Jul 10, 2010.

1. chrisemt
    • In Omnia Paratus

chrisemt Loaded Pockets

I have been reading a lot of posts and looking at a lot of pics of EDC bags stuffed to the gills. I just read an older post where somebody's Janus got snagged walking through their front yard gate. So, how many times per day do you use things out of your EDC bag? EXCLUDING PROFESSIONAL CARRY Again, it's probably the minimalist in me but I wanna know if you REALLY need 3 mini prybars wrapped in 600 feet of 550 cord just to go the local Wally World.
    -Chris

2. Towanda

Towanda Loaded Pockets

Not all my EDC may be used daily, but when I need it I'm very glad I have it.

Tristar777 and wildborego like this.
  3. clock

clock Loaded Pockets

EDC means : Everyday CARRY, and does not necessarily mean Everyday USE.

I have few tools that I use frequently, mainly folding knives and multitools using the blades and the pliers. If not every day, it is almost every other day. Flashlights maybe once a week.

4. Haxxploits

Haxxploits Empty Pockets

My knife, pens, and lighter prob get used every day.

Second most commonly used would be my leatherman.. every 2 or 3 days I guess.

Least used would be the pepper spray and the altoids tin survival kit =D oh.. and i carry a road flare too... who knows bro...

5. Rawls

Rawls Loaded Pockets

I agree with the idea that many folks carry way more than they need (such as my wife). The nine flashlight/8 knife/4 multitool set ups seem more like something belonging to an obsessive compulsive than someone who carries a few nice things that happen to be really great tools.

Personally I carry an iPhone, knife, light, watch and wallet, everyday. I use each of them multiple times a day. Hence this is all I carry. Carry only what's necessary.

6. firemedic183

firemedic183 Loaded Pockets

I use my Luminox Watch, iPhone 4, Strider RW-1 knife, Surefire Pen, Surefire E1B Back up Flashlight, Spec Ops T.H.E. Wallet, and my keys with an Atwood Ghost attached EVERYDAY, several times a day. Great thread question!!!

7. somber

somber Banned

Honestly, the only things I don't use every day are: FAK, extra batteries, extra flashlight, bike tools, and a voice recorder (although the other day I used this in a 'spectacular covert operation'...). But I don't carry so many ridiculous items, just what I need to use.

GoBliNuke likes this.
  8. RGNY

RGNY Empty Pockets

i -could- probably go -weeks- with nothing more than my Victorinox Bantam SAK (single blade and Vic's weird opener-multi-tool).

but, everyone around me seems to:

1. refuse to carry any lights/tools of their own

2. know just where i am to borrow something

Rich73, SurvivePenna and NOC Nurse like this.
  9. Gryffin
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gryffin Loaded Pockets

Hey, it's a valid question.

And, really, it's exactly why this forum exists: we're all here because we like to be "properly" prepared as we go about our daily lives. Enlightenment comes when we realize that there's no one solution to that problem.

Most gearheads seems to follow the same progression: it starts with an unexpected need, which gets filled with a flashlight/pocketknife/multitool/FAK/toolkit; a little googling leads to websites and/or blogs like this, where we discover a whole world of convenient, stylish (and often pricey!) stuff we never knew existed. After a few weeks and some significant credit card debt, we're hauling enough equipment to handle any eventuality from a hangnail to a zombi invasion. Then comes the suspicion that it's all really more trouble than it's worth, and we start to pare it down to what we really need, and optimize real utility vs. practicality.

That is the part of The Quest that fascinates me: the perfect balance between preparedness and practicality. But it doesn't really exist: what's reasonable and convenient for a workday spent at the office is very different from what's reasonable and convenient for a two-week hike through Vermont, a shift serving on an urban police force, a tour in the sandbox, etc.

This is where we decide for ourselves what our real needs are, and the best ways to address them, and apply that to our gear, our methodology, and our lives. Welcome, young grasshopper, you've come far!

10. straightpuke

straightpuke Loaded Pockets

I only pocket carry. Everyday I carry my phone, chapstick, Spydero Persistence, Spyderco Police 3, Surefire E1B, wallet, and gloves.

11. Ghillieman7

Ghillieman7 Empty Pockets

I find myself in this situation more than a few times per week.

12. dmattaponi

dmattaponi Loaded Pockets

The above excerpt from a great post sums my experience up just about perfectly. Right now I use my pen, and knife daily, and flashlight very often. Everything else is, just in case.

The pen is a Fisher Bullet, the knife is a SAK, and the flashlight a small Fenix P1D. These fit in the pocket pretty easily.

13. Noumenon

Noumenon Loaded Pockets

I used to let people use my stuff until I had a few things ruined from misuse or being dropped. I ding stuff up myself through use but I can't stand when someone doesn't know what they're doing and ruins my stuff. I just tell them no or I ask to see what they need done and I do it myself.

14. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

It really has depended on what is going on in my life on how much I carry and how often I use the items I carry.

I have lived maybe half of my life where the nearest streetlight was miles away but I have also lived in towns and cities, this impacts what I actually use quite a bit. When I was younger I have worked where I would not see the glow of any towns in the distance and I have worked in large office buildings, this affects what I use and carry as well.

I am influenced by endurance backpacking where you don't carry what you probably will not need to keep the load down so I can carry more food. On a day to day basis the times that I carried the most on me was when I worked full time and went to school full time, the books took up a bit of space and weight.

The stuff I carried for the most part are the things that I have found handy to have. These things are items when I didn't have one with me I ended up having to go get one over and over again so I started carrying one. Some of the things I know I would use at least once a week. Some items I have only needed once but was not realistic for me to go get one if the need comes up. I prefer to travel somewhat light day to day so I have tried to pick things carefully.

Yes I have carried a bag before but not always on me. I would have a bag that went from the car, to work, to home again but I didn't walk around town with it. I carried the things I want to have with me the most on my person when I am going about the day and have the bag available in the car or work that I use but not likely to need while walking around.

15. GRIFFINHAWKS

GRIFFINHAWKS Banned

Same here, that's where it all started for me to carry a bag or pack all the time wherever I go ..
    Every day I use 5 or 6 items that I carry, more than once (that's an understatement ,)

BE WELL .. GH

16. echo63

echo63 Loaded Pockets

Knife, light, keys, USB Drive, phone, bottle opener all get used daily
    the "work edc" cameras also get used regularly.

most of the gear in my edc bag gets used regularly, but not every day

17. 50ft-trad

50ft-trad Loaded Pockets

I need to have a MAJOR review of my EDC, things are getting messy. I have key areas which I can get tooled up for, but more and more find myself going from one "arena" to another and just not having that "module" of my kit with me.

Areas are:

Car - keys & fob - want a res-q-me on there too
    Home/Personal - more keys, phone, wallet, SAK (or similar), torch (Fenix PD20), tissues, hand gel - need to add an FAK of sorts and a general "fix it" kit, deoderant hair brush and tooth brush for those long days / impromptu stop overs
    Work - even more keys, pen, another phone, A4 notepad, scientific calculator, 10m stanley fatmax XL tape, 12" steel rule - need multitool (under review), need other tools (under review), penlight torch (under review), business cards (under review)
    Boat - even MORE keys, fenix lantern attachment, waterbuoy, different multitool requirements (under review), back up firestarter, petzl e+lite as backup or for awkward jobs
    Boatyard (Official capacity) - yet more keys, seperate A4 notepad, binder with additional papers, whistle

I've probably missed a load out as I've just done this off the top of the head, but MOST of this will be used every week - and each days schedule will change during each day, so I need to have these things near me - and so far I'm not always doing it. There are other complications too such as different areas require different pocket carry as it is not practical to have your bag with you / on you all the time during being there, and so your bag with the vital something in is 200metres (or yards) away.

Minimal would be lovely - but not with my lifestyle

SurvivePenna likes this.
  18. bigmike81

bigmike81 Loaded Pockets

Everything thats in my EDC I use on a daily basis.

19. solocanoe

solocanoe Empty Pockets

so glad I have all I have with me in one bag.
    whether I use it or not...,my EDC makes me happy.
    even the carry of my handgun(s)...which I certainly don't use daily...but it makes me happy to have too. :)

20. ?uesto

?uesto Loaded Pockets

Phone: Everyday.
    iPod: All day everyday.
    Wallet: Everyday.
    Leatherman Supertool or SAK: Every day.
    Spydie Salt: Everyday at work, and then when I go fishing, or other random outdoor stuff.
    Oakleys: Everyday.

The crap in my bag is there for "just in case." Medical stuff, some extra lights, hand warmers, some food, reading material, and some extra tools. Pretty much there if anything were to happen. I don't use much of it that often. Mostly the tools, and the magazines [for the crapper] get used.

RogerStenning and SurvivePenna like this.