1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

How much ammo do you keep on hand?

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by DRPoolio, Nov 10, 2015.

1. Chris_1001

Chris_1001 Loaded Pockets

Ammo is truly an investment.

Buy cheap and stack deep

Last Ship, Wishoot and Strayz like this.
  2. Dorian
    • In Omnia Paratus

Dorian EDC Junkie!!!

Think of it like wine, case prices are cheaper by far!

Last Ship, Wishoot, ran23 and 2 others like this.
  3. Strayz

Strayz Loaded Pockets

Case prices for those that are on tight budgets can be hard to do. Hence buy a box every week or two. 20 bucks vs. 400. Some people might not be able to keep that kind of cash around for what ever reason.

Or buy by the case and still purchase some every week, the best of both worlds. :)

Last Ship and Wishoot like this.
  4. Dorian
    • In Omnia Paratus

Dorian EDC Junkie!!!

I know what your saying, but take that $20-40 bucks a week stick it someplace till you have enough to buy the case and it will go further.
    I used to have a set amount every paycheck put into a different saving account didn't look at it for awhile call it every 6 months to a year.
    But when I did new Gun or pile of ammo incoming.:dance:

5. moostapha

moostapha Loaded Pockets

Seriously, it's like 25%. Or 33% depending on which way you look at it.

A box of PMC .223 at my LGS is a bit over $8. Buying a case online, including shipping and taxes, is more like $6.

A box of cheap but decent locally-made 9mm reloads is around $18. A box of precision delta's much better reloads purchased in a case is under $14.

A box of 20 federal 124gr HSTs can be like $35. A box of 50 purchased as a half-case is like $33.

It makes WAY more sense to save up and buy by the case.

Last Ship and Dorian like this.
  6. Lellobeetle

Lellobeetle Loaded Pockets

Enough 7.62x54, .22LR, 9mm, 12gauge. Need more .40S&W and definitely need more 22WMR, which I find impossible to find.

Wishoot, DRPoolio and Dorian like this.
  7. DRPoolio

DRPoolio Loaded Pockets

Good plan Strayz! I follow the same thinking but I'm admittedly less structured about my purchasing. Anytime I head into my local WalMart I grab a box or two. Likewise when I can find a good online deal, free shipping, etc., I'll make a bigger purchase.

Wishoot likes this.
  8. Wishoot

Wishoot Loaded Pockets

Over the past 48 hours I've purchased:

4,000 small pistol primers
    1,000 large pistol primers
    1,000 158gr LSWC's
    2lbs Unique
    1lbs Universal
    1,000 115gr Blazer Brass

That's on top of the several thousand 9mm, 38spl, 44mag and 357 rounds I have on hand.

I'm running out of room.

Dorian - to your point....I buy all my ammo on-line in bulk. There's some pretty good deals out there if you look. The 1000 rounds of Blazer Brass I just received was $199 to my door.

9. JigMeister

JigMeister Empty Pockets

Not enough. Now is the time to catch some good sales though. ;)

DRPoolio, Wishoot and Dorian like this.
  10. Stonerman33
    • In Omnia Paratus

Stonerman33 Loaded Pockets

My "goal" at this point is 1,000 rds of every caliber I use, plus 5k 22LR. I think I'm good on 9mm, 45, and .223/5.56. Only have a couple hundred 380, 270, 12ga, and I'm probably about 1500 short of my 22LR goal. I'm a believer in the "box a week" program. I'm less likely to miss $10-20 a paycheck than $400 all at once. I do have reloading equipment and supplies, but don't have it setup as my current apartment doesn't really have a good place to set up a bench. Might be doing a cross country move within 12 months, and a reloading bench will become a reality.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

DRPoolio, Wishoot and Strayz like this.
  11. compy222

compy222 Loaded Pockets

Handgun - 2 boxes of fmj and 2 boxes of self defense (some of which rotates through mags)

Rifle - 200 rounds of .17hmr

Shotgun - 50 #7, 15 #00, 5 slugs

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Wishoot likes this.
  12. Sachmo

Sachmo EDC Junkie!!!

I have what I think I need, hopefully I'm right. ;)

Wishoot likes this.
  13. Strayz

Strayz Loaded Pockets

People that practice this also tend to score great deals on 5-6 boxes when they go on sale as well. Food for thought here. With this plan you also buy a couple extra boxes to use for practice, you have to keep up the trigger time as well to keep the skills at there best.

1 box of 20 rounds x 52 weeks a year = 1040 rounds socked up over one year of saving. Up that to 2 boxes of 5.56 and you have 2 cases + of ammo squirled away.

1 box of 50 rounds (pistola shootins) x 52 = 2600 rounds stashed back.

1 box of 25 defensive loads a week = 1300 rounds of the spendy stuff. Yes stock up on this as well (yes it is expensive as all hell, but you may one day need it and not having to run out and buy it every time you want to refresh your skills at the range is not a terrible idea.)

Now I am all for saving up a metric ton of cash to buy case lots but sometimes you get low and then you don't always have cash socked away, or there is a run on guns and ammo, Or you want another gun that week. ect...

I also say get together with a friend or 2, 3, 6 or how ever many you need to. You would not believe how much a discount you can get if you buy Pallets, or 10+ cases at a time. Gun stores generally make a lot more on ammo sales than they do on guns. Get 5 guys with $300-$400 to drop on cases of ammo and some dealers or wholesalers might even let you mix and match a bit for price breaks when you make your purchase. They might even throw in some other swag. It all depends. Just remember showing up with a group of guys is bad have one or two show up with the cash in hand. I just talked to a friends second cousins brothers sister by marrage and he said....

Never discount reloading as well. The only down side is having to get 40mm ammo cans to keep primers, and powder separate. (yes you can use 50 cal cans for primers, but when you start collecting powder it starts taking up room. LOL). Then you start collecting lead and books for researching your loads... It is a deep dark rabbit hole to start down.

Wishoot and vegassprky like this.
  14. mrtwohands

mrtwohands Loaded Pockets

Not enough. I am comfortable with what I have on hand but could always use more, naturally.

Dorian likes this.
  15. RichinVA

RichinVA Loaded Pockets

The basement's not full yet.....

Dorian, Strayz and vegassprky like this.
  16. Strayz

Strayz Loaded Pockets

Basement?

Your home should be a labyrinth, all three floors. Ok maybe not the kitchen and living room. You need somewhere to fix food and watch the game. The wife let me have the Garage, but draws the line at stacking things under the beds and behind doors. :(

Dorian and vegassprky like this.
  17. Andy_pha

Andy_pha Loaded Pockets

What's funny is every time there is one of these shooting events the media make a huge deal that they went to the home and they had hundreds of rounds of ammo. I always think man they were a little understocked! I reload 9mm, .45 and 12a I try to keep at least 500-600 rounds on the ready and enough supplies to make at least that. Speaking of which I just used up the last of my 9mm bullets I need to order some more.

18. Strayz

Strayz Loaded Pockets

Yeah, makes me think the same thing. I them wonder how some of us reloaders would be painted in the media's lens if they were to look at our homes to see what we really have. One would think it would wake them up to the fact that in the last 10 years there have been 10 million firearms purchases. Maybe, just maybe they would understand outright banning will never work.

vegassprky likes this.
  19. Hi-up Lineman
    • In Omnia Paratus

Hi-up Lineman Loaded Pockets

This is what is not loaded into a rifle/rifles, ammo boxes and range bags. There is another shelf with 6000+ rounds of .22 and .22mag ammo. This is for immediate and practice use. I've been stockpiling since the America hating Muslim took office.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Lou_G and vegassprky like this.
  20. chaosmagnet
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • Sponsor - Home Craftsman
    • In Omnia Paratus

chaosmagnet Loaded Pockets

I shoot about 3-4K rounds/year in competition, training and practice, mostly of 9mm and 5.56mm. I buy when it's cheap, not when I need it.

Gary Gross, Strayz and Dorian like this.