1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

How many scouts in the house?

Discussion in 'The Breakroom' started by WildEMT, Dec 5, 2006.

1. cosine

cosine Loaded Pockets

Cub Scout; received the Arrow of Light in the late 1990s.

2. dowtech

dowtech Loaded Pockets

The Scouts had a huge influence on my life. I was a Cub Scout (my Dad was the Cubmaster), and later joined the Boy Scout troop in my town. We didn't have much of an infrastructure for merit badges and such because it was a small town, but our troop used to do a day hike and an overnight backpack every month, year round (New England, which meant a lot of snow camping). At 15 I began working summers at the Algonquin Council's Camp Resolute in Massachusetts, first as a service patrol member. Got promoted that summer to program staff. Over five summers, I eventually became program director and "camp commissioner" -- liaison between the staff and scoutmasters.

I picked up a lot of merit badges at camp, but never worked on rank -- which I now regret.

Was OA Brotherhood -- and I think I still remember the handshake. I KNOW I remember the blood brother ceremony!

Being in love with the outdoor life, in high school I decided I wanted to be a Forest Ranger. Big problem then: I found that English literature was more my aptitude than science/math, and I went on to other things for many, many years.

Now, in my later (waning?) years, I find myself employed by the US Forest Service as a technical writer/editor/webmaster and Forest Protection Officer, and work with about the greatest bunch of men and women, in about the greatest surroundings, anyone could hope for!

Thanks, BSA!!!! (and PTL!)

Edit: During my years at camp, I was also JASM in my troop. Later, while in college, I led an Explorer post for a year or so.

3. Lifesaver

Lifesaver Empty Pockets

Eagle Scout class of '73 here, with two palms. I'm also a Brotherhood member of the Order of the Arrow. I served as an assistant Scoutmaster, a unit commissioner and an assistant district commissioner. I earned my silver arrowhead as both a unit commissioner and an ADC.

4. znapschatz

znapschatz Loaded Pockets

Was a Scout, later a Scoutmaster, all many years ago. It was a great experience.

5. LZ

LZ Loaded Pockets

Was a Beaver, Cub Scout, Scout & Venturer....Best times of my youth!

6. Daveo

Daveo Empty Pockets

I made Eagle when I was 17 in 2001. Scouting definitely has an effect on your gear-dorkness...I know that's where I got started.

7. fod

fod Empty Pockets

My son is finishing up the paperwork for Eagle just now (I'm a very proud dad!), and I am assistant scoutmaster in our troop. My sweet wife sits on the committe.

8. Corporal Punishment

Corporal Punishment Empty Pockets

Scouts

Reading another thread here, it occurred to me how many people here at this forum are former Scouts. I credit the Scout motto "Be Prepared" and my very first EDC item, my Scout knife, as what really started me on this lifelong obsession with keeping myself prepared. It's really where I first learned woodcraft and learned to love the outdoors. It seems almost hokey to say aloud nowadays, but I pretty much still live by the Scout Law all these years later. I think it's a decent guideline for being a good citizen.

Anyway, just curious, anyone else here a former Scout? (Boy Scout, Girl Scout, or any other non-US variation thereof)

"A scout is Trustworthy, Loyal, Helpful, Friendly, Courteous, Kind, Obedient, Cheerful, Thrifty, Brave, Clean and Reverant"

9. Valerian

Valerian Tea-powered admin

Re: Scouts

I wanted to join when I was a kid, but for some reason my dad opposed it. I never found out why, possibly he thought it was too rightist/patriotic/religious/whatever. He did make an effort to teach me about knots and the outdoors himself. In any case, I've never been a scout, but that hasn't stopped me from quoting the motto from time to time.

10. Swamp-Harrier

Swamp-Harrier Empty Pockets

Re: Scouts

I was an Air Scout in the UK back in the 60s, my Dad was a flyer in the RAF, as well as all the regular scouting activities we got to lots of cool stuff to do with aviation, from badges in aircraft silhouette recognition to flying in gliders. I really enjoyed the Scouts and many of the skills remain with me today. My whole family is still involved in the Scout/Guide movement to some degree.

I help out with my son's Scout troop whenever I can; love camping, building fires and cooking on them, carrying fixed blade knives legally and using them etc etc

My wife is heavily involved in the local Girl Guides (= Girl Scouts) she's a Divisional Commissioner running the Guides for half of Cambridgeshire and my daughter is a Girl Guide (just achieved the highest UK youth award - The Baden Powell Award. They had a presentation party for her last night - was Mum proud? - you bet!).

As a family we all have a love of outdoors life and my 11 year old son is already an EDC fan, as he can carry his SAK and Leatherman Micra, Firesteel etc legally when doing Scouting activities.

Vic

11. scríbhneoir
    • Administrator

scríbhneoir Uber Prepared
    Staff Member