1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

How many rounds do you carry in your EDC handgun?

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by SSol, Apr 16, 2012.

1. SSol

SSol Loaded Pockets

This might sound like a stupid question but I've been wondering every since S&W came out with the new slim 9mm.

I edc a glock 26 with a mag adapter so that it will fit glock 19 mags. So instead of 20 rounds total (the mag in my gun and a spare) I get 30.

Is that over kill? I keep seeing this trend to fewer and fewer round counts and I'm wondering if this is tactically sound or if its just a marketing gimick to separate gun owners from their money.

Opinions are welcome cause I'm definitely confused. Oh and as a side note I do have training and practice and consider myself to be proficient with a handgun.

2. hatchetjack

hatchetjack EDC Junkie!!!!!

It's only overkill if you think it is. If I need 30 rds., I'll grab an AR-15 or AK. I only own 1 hi-cap auto pistol, the rest are 1911's and a Glock 36 so I'm used to and comfortable with 7 - 8 rds of .45 acp.

3. JP5

JP5 Loaded Pockets

6+1 in my Bodygaurd 380, or 10+1 in my Ruger SR9C. I'm comfortable with not carrying any more than that...

4. SSol

SSol Loaded Pockets

So you guys are in the Jeff Cooper side of the issue. I forgot to add that I was on Larry Vickers site and although I can't get a clarification on exactly what he was talking about and under what conditions he was making the statement about, he says that a handgun should have 5 mags. Again, I don't know if he was saying that if you have a handgun you should have 5 magazines....3 in storage and two for carry or what...but I'm way off topic. I get it. Carry what you think you'll need and live with your choice. Got it.

5. RonReagan

RonReagan Loaded Pockets

I carry a Glock 23 right now and have a spare magazine on the belt giving a total of 27 rounds of .40. I will soon be getting a Walther PPS 9mm so I will be carrying 16 -17 (depending on which magazine size I use) which I still feel comfortable with. I use my 38 for quick trips and carry a speed loader giving me ten shots. As you can see I always have one reload in case of malfunctions ect. That is what I train with and what I am comfortable with so I roll with it. The mission drives what gear you need. Everyone is different in their reasoning, but if it works for you go for it.

6. SSol

SSol Loaded Pockets

walther is a fine gun. and i'm a 9mm fan but what are your thoughts on going down in size?

7. mtngoat

mtngoat Loaded Pockets

7+1 in my 1911 plus an extra 7 round mag, 6 in my wheel gun plus 2 6 round speed strips. I like to have at least one reload, with the speed strips 2 of them are just a hare bigger than a magazine so why not.

8. Bagnerd

Bagnerd Loaded Pockets

glock 17+1 for me.
    I don't feel the need to carry an extra mag though I own 8 mags.

Ikeep mags in a couple of locations around the house.
    Should probably keep one extra in my car

9. Chowser

Chowser Empty Pockets

I carry a Glock 33. It's either 10 rds (9+1) or with 32 mag with adapter (13+1).

I don't carry a spare mag, my spare is a Kahr CM9 with 6+1.

10. lyodbraun

lyodbraun Loaded Pockets

Glock 30SF ten+1 love my glocks...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

11. yukon2004

yukon2004 Loaded Pockets

Typically, I'm carrying my Glock 27 .40 cal. 9 +1 rounds. I also usually carry a spare Glock 23 mag (13 rounds). But if I'm running up to the store real quick, I'll usually just carry my .38 Special Snub (5 rds).

12. DrChimRichalds
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

DrChimRichalds Loaded Pockets

6+1 when carrying my LC9

13. americankami

americankami Empty Pockets

G17 or G26.

Each gun loaded with it's standard factory mag, and then I carry anywhere from one to four G17 mags with +2 or +5 extensions, depending on whether or not I've got my bag with me.

14. parkerdude

parkerdude Loaded Pockets

G27 w/ GLOCK factory +2, (for pinky rest). Full sized hi-cap 2nd mag. totaling 26, (11 + 15).

[​IMG]

Last edited by parkerdude, Apr 16, 2012
  15. Chimay

Chimay Loaded Pockets

I carry + 1 in the gun and have at least 1 extra mag. My carry guns hold 7 with the larger mag, 8 or 15. I so worst case I feel like I'd be ok with the 8 380 rounds + 6 in my backup mag, because if I'm carrying just my 238 its because I can't be carrying anything else due to clothing restrictions. Or I'm just running down the street for something and didn't feel like redressing myself.

Always carry an extra mag, it's not that you will need it to shoot the mob of bad guys, but if there is a malfunction of any type, drop the mag, clear the gun and load the new mag. Try to eliminate as many potential sources of the malfunction at the same time. Having one go click is bad enough, having 2 clicks will probably kill you if you didn't have at least one bang already.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

16. pike_mazter

pike_mazter Loaded Pockets

Revolver with 5 loaded and 5 in a speed strip. When I carry my 1911 (Cold heavy clothing weather) Its 9 loaded with 2 eight round mags.

17. Idaho Gunslinger

Idaho Gunslinger Loaded Pockets

Whatever gun I am carrying I always have at least one reload. Magazines are easily damaged and one of the biggest malfunction causes out there. I also usually have loaded mags and ammo in my car, so I figure that whats in the gun plus an extra mag should be able to get me to my vehicle in an urban/suburban setting.

18. Gnarly
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gnarly Loaded Pockets

all it'll hold.

P35 and SAKplumber like this.
  19. Idaho Gunslinger

Idaho Gunslinger Loaded Pockets

20. hatchetjack

hatchetjack EDC Junkie!!!!!

Nice one!