1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

How many p-38s do You carry?

Discussion in 'Where, When, & How Do We Carry All This Stuff?' started by Ghillieman7, Jan 8, 2010.

1. muskrat72

muskrat72 Loaded Pockets

I carry one on my keychain and have used it quite often to open my lunches at work. However, I have one in my lunchbox, edc bag, BOB, 72hour kit and some extras that I need to replenish after I hand to many out.

2. k2mykel

k2mykel Empty Pockets

Just one in my BOB. But I EDC a Swiss Army Climber and in college used the opener on it more than the electric one.

3. 50ft-trad

50ft-trad Loaded Pockets

Can anyone point me in the direction of a supplier of PROPER P51's - either in the UK or who will ship to UK?

I have one of those semi-malleable chinese doofers which "pays homage" to the originals (i.e. cheap copy) on my EDC ring, but would like to get hold of 2 or 3 of the genuine article

4. FRagman1967

FRagman1967 Loaded Pockets

A year or two ago, I scored a good repro of the Aussie WW2 p-38 type can opener and spoon (!!) It's all metal and since it has more than one use, as a gadgethound, I had to have one.
    as soon as I can find the little beasty I'll post a pic.

5. 4work

4work Empty Pockets

I put my multitool(P-38) to rest when the MRE's came out in 82'. Was a emergency screwdriver also. Then carried a SAK

6. grimm_kaosboy

grimm_kaosboy Empty Pockets

I only carry one and its on my keyring. I have SAK's I use more often but the trusty p-38 is still always there.

7. Pheonix886

Pheonix886 Loaded Pockets

I read this title and thought "I thought most people only carry one sidearm" :-X
    Plus, there is the p-38 lightening, which was "the stealth bomber before stealth bombers"

Anyways, I don't carry any. What's the big deal? What does this have over an SAK?

8. Lord Bear

Lord Bear Loaded Pockets

I have. But even if the 4 protagonists had the P38, Skynet (oops, sorry, wrong AI :lolhammer: ), I mean the one in the story would have made sure all the food in the cans were spoiled or packed full of maggots. I wonder if the boy in "A Boy and His Dog" had one?

9. David.s

David.s Loaded Pockets

Are these little things really that usefull ?

I can honestly say iv never been in a situation where i have needed one.

10. Andy Wayne

Andy Wayne Loaded Pockets

I don't carry one either.

11. Noxonomus

Noxonomus Empty Pockets

A few years ago I was helping my grandmother move along with a bunch of the family and as we were nearing the end some one decided to make chili and discovered that we had packed the can opener. I opened 13 cans of beans with a SAK.

I have never used a p-38 but looking at how they work I sure wish I had had one that day, I am pretty sure I could have done it faster and more comfortably if I had.

12. Manatakui

Manatakui Loaded Pockets

To be honest, I prefer the Victorinox can opener over the P-38/P-51. I don't carry one on me, but I do have one tossed in my EDC bag. The SAK's length helps with the leverage over the P-51, and especially over the P-38, both of which I've used in the past to open cans. I've not used a geared can opener in a number of years, and have no intention on returning to those, or ever returning to the electric can openers when I can do the same thing with the same effective end result in slightly longer time than with the geared or electric can openers.

If I do decide to go on an ultra-minimalist EDC day, however, I know besides a good pocket knife, Victorinox Quattro Driver (or Sears Craftman 4-way screwdriver), and light, I'll have a P-51 simply because it's so versatile.

13. bblatt11

bblatt11 Empty Pockets

I keep a p-38 and p-51 on my keychain and use either or maybe once or twice a month; one with my canned goods which I use regularly; one with my GI mess kit which I use when out and about away from working plumbing; a couple in my Spec Ops THE wallet; one in each of my canteen carriers as backups; and several stored together just in case. Years ago I had the good fortune to pick up about 100 Shelby P-38s with some P-51s at a price that ran me about 3 pennies per unit.

As a lefty, I prefer them to current electrics, and since I use my multitool and pocket knife openers for more industrial cans, they are my must have item for canned chow.

14. molawns

molawns Loaded Pockets

None. I have a couple, but don't carry them or really even use them.

I EDC a can opener on my SAK and another on my multi-tool. I rarely use those, either.

I just don't open very many cans. :p

15. Corbs

Corbs Loaded Pockets

I much prefer the Wenger design of can opener to that of the Victorinox SAKs.

16. jdub4key
    • In Omnia Paratus

jdub4key Loaded Pockets

17. Doug S

Doug S Empty Pockets

I now carry a SAK but for years I carried a P38. For opening cans, you are right, the P38 is much easier (and better).

18. Gnarly
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gnarly Loaded Pockets

None,but have 5 of the P-51's.

One on keyring,one in glove compartment,one in BOE,one in basement and one at work.

----Gnarly :evilgrin:

19. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

Best solution is to wrap a thin rubberband around it so that the "blade" lays flat until needed.

20. Andy Wayne

Andy Wayne Loaded Pockets

O ring might work better.