1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

How many notebooks do you carry on a daily basis? and for what?

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by Froley, Jun 5, 2013.

1. scbubba
    • In Omnia Paratus

scbubba Loaded Pockets

I carry one journal size Moleskin (Volant Large) in my bag. I take notes for work in that. I also carry 3 different Field Notes books with me, also in the bag mostly. I use those for personal notes - one is note for whatever I'm currently reading, one is for random notes on things I see/hear/notice, one is for goals and progress towards them (not a to do list but bigger "life" goal stuff).

The Moleskin is almost full and I don't want another one of their books to replace it. Gotta start looking into a replacement soon though

2. rickboone

rickboone Loaded Pockets

Try a scout books mega composition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mpphoto and scbubba like this.
  3. scbubba
    • In Omnia Paratus

scbubba Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the tip, Rick!

4. Barchack

Barchack Loaded Pockets

So no one uses index cards? I would be lost without index cards. I carry a Levenger pocket briefcase, an EGL index card holder or simply 20 cards clipped with a small binder clip. I can take notes and then sort them as I go. It also lets me give info to someone else without tearing pages out. It ends up being the size of one small notebook, but allows for great organization.

5. IThinkTooMuch

IThinkTooMuch Loaded Pockets

I use a GTD index cards system in my dayplanner. The ampad gluetop I have in my pocket tears out cleanly, so giving info to somebody else isn't a problem.

6. ALLHSS

ALLHSS Loaded Pockets

I carry one all weather flip notebook on my person, and always have a few other in my bookbag.

7. A-Ro

A-Ro Empty Pockets

I don't carry a notebook per say. There's a handy little app in my cell phone called...Notebook!!! ;)

No need to carry more than what is necessary in my opinion. Keep it simple.

8. Inner Prop

Inner Prop Loaded Pockets

I've tried taking notes on my phone and it just doesn't work. I can't keep up with what is being said, and I have the feeling I look like my daughter who is constantly texting someone else whether she is talking to you or not. If I whip out my phone I have the feeling I'm showing the other person that I care more about my texts than what they are saying, while a handwritten note does just the opposite.

SavageJak, pacman and ALLHSS like this.
  9. rickboone

rickboone Loaded Pockets

Always! I love the neon ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. ALLHSS

ALLHSS Loaded Pockets

I agree wholeheartedly with this, though I am guilty of using my technology too much at times.

11. pacman

pacman Loaded Pockets

I recently started carrying a Rhodia Bloc (grid, No 11) pocket notebook at all times. This has turned out to be one of the most used items in my EDC. I am great about remembering things then immediately forgetting them, and the phone just doesn't cut it for many of the reasons already mentioned in this thread. The notepad is quicker, and I feel more engaged and less distracted in whatever I am recording.

While at work I carry a large Rhodia Webnotebook (dotted) to record meetings, tasks, etc. I'll transfer notes from my pocket notebook to that for when I am out-and-about and remember work-related things. Together they make a pretty useful system.

The reason that I went with Rhodia is that I recently started using a fountain pen (Lamy Safari F nib) and the Rhodia paper is simply the best that I have found (No bleeding/feathering.)

12. wildborego

wildborego EDC Junkie!!!!!

Something about taking notes on your phone, I just don't like it or even care for it.

13. A-Ro

A-Ro Empty Pockets

One of the reasons I prefer the phone is even when I upgrade the phone, the notes go with me.

Also, it's very easy to tell some you're going to jot something down on your phone as to not offend them into thinking you are texting in their presence.

14. pacman

pacman Loaded Pockets

When I upgrade my phone, my notes go with me too; right there in my notebook.:D

Inner Prop likes this.
  15. Inner Prop

Inner Prop Loaded Pockets

I'm working on an "effortless" way to capture or transfer notes into electronic form for ease in searching and to help in archiving.

At work I use a writing pad in a portfolio thingie. It looks fairly professional and when I finish a meeting I can:
    1. Stick the sheet(s) in the printer feeder tray
    2. Scan them and send as an email
    3. Drop the hard copy into a file folder
    I don't like having to carry a full 8.5"x11" (A4-ish) pad or notebook around all the time so that system doesn't work as well for my non-work stuff.

Lee Bradbury and Dave Johnson like this.
  16. Ironside

Ironside Loaded Pockets

Rhodia 3x4 with grid used for design notes with a zebra 301 pencil

17. indigo

indigo Loaded Pockets

I always carry a moleskine planner in my bag. I sometimes will carry a pocket moleskine with me when on the go, or a larger composition notebook with notes in my writing bag.

18. WinterKage

WinterKage Loaded Pockets

I've got a tiny one that stays in the bag I kind of stole from my boyfriend and I always have a sketch book in my car because if I ever get stranded I know I'll get bored and want to draw.

Lee Bradbury likes this.
  19. Lorenzo

Lorenzo Loaded Pockets

One simple ring-style A6 with a plastic cover that keeps it from fraying; mostly used when I play team quiz games for rapid-jotting the questions - oh,the scribbles!

20. Slipjoint

Slipjoint Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

This is my daily carry rig. It carries my Nexus tablet computer and a small pocket notebook. The computer is for browsing the internet, reading E-books, answering email, Skype, and playing Tetris. It's also my backup camera.

Most of my notes go in the pocket notebook. I've always been a note taker, and I find it much easier to "think" with a pencil and paper than when using a tablet computer. I can live without the computer, but I go nuts if I don't have pencil and paper. Notice, that I always carry a mechanical pencil and a pen with the notebook.

The notebook is a Staples back-to-school item, and quite cheap (about a dollar each if I remember correctly). It's quite nice for the money.

The carrier was made out of a cutoff leg from an old pair of jeans. The loops that the shoulder strap connects to are made from 550 paracord. The flap is secured with a simple velcro closure. The shoulder strap came free with a small toolbag but it works perfectly for this little project.

Lee Bradbury likes this.