1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

How many notebooks do you carry on a daily basis? and for what?

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by Froley, Jun 5, 2013.

1. panther

panther Empty Pockets

I usually just have a cheap spiral bound lined pad - bound on the left so they open like a book (rather than a reporters). I fill them rapidly and then move onto a new one usually filled with green fountain pen ink or mechanical pencil lead.

2. C.Boland93
    • In Omnia Paratus

C.Boland93 Loaded Pockets

I'm a graphic designer, so I have a massive soft spot for Pantone notebooks! I usually have an A5 or A6 one in my cars glovebox but rarely carry one on my person unless I have a bag of some sort.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

Zero. Cause I never use them.

bzimmerly likes this.
  4. thatotherguy

thatotherguy EDC Junkie!!!!!

If I have my radio and my bag, then I have a moleskine clone that I use as a radio log (not required anymore but interesting and handy). In my bag all the time I have a RITR kit with a pencil, space pen, my user RITR and a backup in a nylon cover. I try to carry a 2014 daily planner, and I always have a mini composition in a homemade leather cover (thanks to Mooshi for the tip on the mini comps and the inspiration to make the cover) in my pocket. If I think I'll need it, I also occasionally carry a small Ecosystem notebook with my own amateur poetry in it.
    On top of all of that, I have a five year question a day journal and a standard type journal at home, and I have a notes function on my smartphone.
    Redundancy seems to be the idea of the day for me.

bzimmerly likes this.
  5. FenixArcher

FenixArcher EDC Junkie!!!

I usually carry 3.
    One is my binder I use everyday (college student), one is a Rite-in-the-Rain pad, and one is a notebook I made out of some nylon book cover and a blank book cut to fit.

6. Kripto

Kripto Evil Sid

I carry 2 to 3 daily.. I have a Gfeller Caseworks moleskine cover that I have 2 field notes notebooks in and a third FN book in my bag.. I use the FN Traveling Salesman for recording coffee information.. (Beans that I've roasted and roast profile/flavor notes) The other is for random thoughts.

7. ItsHardToKnow

ItsHardToKnow Loaded Pockets

three

main school one
    small one I use for school at times (usually when I dont want to pull the huge one out due to limited space
    small (6x4ish) that stays in the car that I record my gas info into (so far), though maybe it'll be used for various notes etc eventually

8. rickboone

rickboone Loaded Pockets

Hmm. Several. Usually a larger tablet or two for letter writing. Several smaller ones for jotting notes.
    Typically the things from the smaller ones are then written onto a larger something or other. Notebook. Or passion planner or just another piece of paper

However I am running low on notebooks and will soon be replacing. Want to get some FN and a leather cover.
    Also I just that a maxped field notes cover. Yeah. Wrong field notes. Fits nothing I having. May get the government green notebook.

9. TarHeelBrit
    • In Omnia Paratus

TarHeelBrit Loaded Pockets

Wow I feel like I'm letting the side down here, with all the fancy notebooks and covers. All I use is a 3"x5" spiral bound from the grocery store with a lottery pencil in the spiral. Cheap eh?

10. pelicularities
    • In Omnia Paratus

pelicularities Loaded Pockets

Ha ha this is embarrassing but I've on occasion carried up to seven notebooks. Right now it's four - one Moleskine pocket calendar, one Rhodia A7 notepad for quick scribbles (both in my pocket), one A5 notebook from Muji for generic scribbles when I'm working out ideas that may not go anywhere, one Moleskine for longform writing.

Sometimes I also carry one or two personal journals, and a larger binder-type notebook for note-taking (if school is in session) or working out ideas that I'm pretty sure will go somewhere. That makes seven.

I only have so many because I am compulsive about assigning a purpose to each notebook.

11. C.Boland93
    • In Omnia Paratus

C.Boland93 Loaded Pockets

Does the job just the same!

TarHeelBrit likes this.
  12. GQkudzu

GQkudzu Loaded Pockets

I carry one Field Notes in my back pocket for daily notes, to-do lists, phone numbers and so forth when I'm out and about.

I have a full size notepad in a folding cover in my vehicle. It's honestly more for "show," when I go to a meeting. I can open that up on the table in front of me, and it looks like I really mean business.

I keep a spiral notebook on my desk by the phone. Years ago, someone gave me an excellent piece of advice: instead of jotting down things on envelopes and scrap paper at the office, write everything in one notebook. That way, you know it will never get accidentally lost.

I plan to soon start carrying a Moleskine journal in my bag just to encourage more creative writing while I'm on the go.

13. CSM-101
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

CSM-101 EDC Junkie!!!!!

I keep one of the small Marble memo notebooks in each of my bags... but never use them. It's weird, I've always loved the idea of notebooks
    but I usually end up using post-it notes and scraps of paper for lists and notes.

14. MartialArtist

MartialArtist Loaded Pockets

What pen do you guys use for these on the go notebooks.

15. Redleg

Redleg Loaded Pockets

I'm still trying to find a good pocket carry pen. Right now I've got a Hi-Tec-C Slim Knock. I'm probably going to pick up either a Kaweco Sport or a Kaweco Liliput for a pocket carry fountain pen.

16. Stonerman33
    • In Omnia Paratus

Stonerman33 Loaded Pockets

Kaweco AL sport for a fountain pen, hinderer investigator for my non FP.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

17. Lee Bradbury

Lee Bradbury Loaded Pockets

I've only just started to carry a notebook and pen again; I spent about 15 years carrying a pocket book for work and then relied on my phone to take notes but prefer the no-nonsense approach of just pulling out the notebook and scribbling down notes.
    This one is about 6"x4" and the pen is a Parker 'Messenger' which I've had for donkey's years.

[​IMG]

18. stealthy

stealthy Loaded Pockets

one moleskine volante in back pocket. mostly used to for jotting notes/contact info/maps for old folks that refuse to get a smartphone lol

19. khclarkson

khclarkson Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

I just carry a blank piece of paper folded twice. It gets the job done.

Sent by carrier pigeon

20. Dave Johnson

Dave Johnson Loaded Pockets

I carry one large (5x8.25), hardcover Moleskine notebook. I write everything in it: to-do lists, things to buy, books to read, restaurants to visit, music to listen to, travel itineraries, ammunition reloading info, recipes, notes for work (I'm involved in mineral exploration, so my notes cover technical presentations I attend, projects I'm working on, details of work associates, records of conversations, etc) - basically anything I need to remember. At 46 years of age, I'm getting forgetful. When I fill a notebook, I construct an index in the last few pages.

Why don't I use several notebooks? I've got enough crap to carry around and I think it would be tempting to leave one or more of them behind instead of taking it with me. Since reading this thread, I'm thinking that carrying a Field Notes or similar would be good for recording more "disposable" information, but then you never know when you are going to need to recall something that you thought was inconsequential. That is one reason why I stopped using cheap spiral-bound notebooks that tended to fall apart and get thrown out. Too many times, I had to try to find something I'd written in one, only to realize that it had disintegrated and been chucked. Although it seems wasteful to write some of the trivial crap I record in a comparatively expensive Moleskine, I think that its beneficial to just put everything in one durable notebook rather than risk losing something important by writing it on something that won't last.

MarcV likes this.