1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

How many mags do you carry and how?

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by Gray29, Jul 9, 2015.

1. Vartz04

Vartz04 Loaded Pockets

My issue is I carry everything in the 5th jean pocket (light pen and skeletool) and one of my holster clips sits right above that pocket.

2. MedusaOblongata

MedusaOblongata Loaded Pockets

You may have to dress around the gun. You may also have to rearrange your carry around the gun. After some experimentation, you'll find a setup that works for your body style, clothing choices, and gear; a week or two later you'll find a better setup, and then you'll only change it up a few times a month after that.

For me, gun and spare mag are the only things that go on the belt, and all of my knives, multi tools, flashlights, and everything else go into the 4 pockets that all of my pants have. YMWV.

Gary Gross and RAMBOCAT like this.
  3. Stutz

Stutz EDC Junkie

The only thing that surprises me about people here carrying lots of extra mags is that I always wonder how it conflicts with the million other EDC items we carry. This is EDCF, after all! The term "loaded pockets" definitely applies to me. No chance of pocket carry or mags in a pocket, here — no vacancy, sorry! If I carried my Glock+mags daily IWB I think I'd have to switch to suspenders to keep my pants up.

LoneArcher likes this.
  4. LoneArcher

LoneArcher Loaded Pockets

How about a not-so-hypothetical situation? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luby%27s_shooting
    THIS, is why we carry.

That said, my current carry is a Ruger LC9s with a 7 round mag in the gun, one round in the chamber, and a 9 round factory mag in a Sneaky Pete Quick Clip magazine holster, for a total of only 17 rounds. I'm Okay with that.

Glock1097 and RAMBOCAT like this.
  5. NelsonIII

NelsonIII Loaded Pockets

Any more than that and you probably needed a rifle or a SWAT team, not a handgun.

LoneArcher likes this.
  6. RAMBOCAT

RAMBOCAT Loaded Pockets

And not to worry, that swat team would be on site in about 30 mins.; if you're lucky. But most bad guys will honor the tried and true.......Kings X Time Out.

LoneArcher likes this.
  7. NelsonIII

NelsonIII Loaded Pockets

I'll take my chances with 17 rounds.

8. Versatek

Versatek Loaded Pockets

With M&P9c in Smart Carry - 1 12rd, also in Smart Carry. Total 25 rds.
    With SP101 in Smart Carry - 1 6rd TuffStrip in RH pocket. Total 11 rds.

When I used to have to go into downtown at 2am on an IT call, it was P228 + 2 15rd. Total 46 rds.

LoneArcher likes this.
  9. MountainMedic

MountainMedic Loaded Pockets

Glock 19 with spare 15 rounder in the pocket but am probably going to get a single or double OWB mag pouch given the state of current affairs. After San bernandino I started carrying a 33rd spare mag in the EDC bag and after Orlando I might start carrying the spare AR in the jeep wherever I go.

10. steviesterno

steviesterno Loaded Pockets

I just mounted an AR and 4 mags in the back of the truck. hope they stay in the case forever, but it's nice to have handy.

MedusaOblongata likes this.
  11. MedusaOblongata

How do you have the rifle secured?

12. steviesterno

steviesterno Loaded Pockets

currently a locked case in the back of my SUV. I built a set of drawers, but have since decided to carry a full, ready to rock rifle rather than one taken down to upper and lower. I used to have an AR pistol, but that seems less useful. I took down my 870 that was in a molle scabbard mounted to a molle support system (Springtail Solutions, great stuff!). the AR is locked to one of the child safety belt points and the whole trunk area is blocked from inside the truck with a Springtail barrier.

I also have the ability to mount 2 rifles right to that same barrier, but it's much less discreet.

MedusaOblongata likes this.
  13. JoeLiberty

JoeLiberty Loaded Pockets

Ah, so as opposed to just a regular old DGU? Yes I would agree they would be pretty rare, even among DGU. Besides the additional ammo, the other really good reason to carry a spare mag is in the event of a malf. Overwhelming majority of (equipment related) failures are caused by the magazine. Dented feed lips, worn out spring, dirty follower, what-have-you. Spare mag gives you the ability to fix these failures and keep your gun fed. :)

RAMBOCAT likes this.
  14. masiaka

masiaka Loaded Pockets

Depends on what I carry.

1911/P250 strong side IWB with 8+1/12+1 and a 10/15 round reload IWB weak side in a Simply Rugged leather single mag holder with IWB straps.

P938 6+1 AIWB deep concealment with no reload or IWB strong side with a couple 7 round reloads weak side OWB in a nylon double mag holder.

SP101 IWB strong side with a speed loader on my belt strong side in a Simple Rugged Split Six and a speed strip or two in my strong side front pocket.

15. cabba2203

cabba2203 Loaded Pockets

1) XDS-9 3.3 : Flush mag 6+1 in the pistol IWB and then an extended 7 round mag in my pocket.
    or
    2) Charter Arms .38 snubby in a pocket holster, 2 Bianchi speed strips in my left pocket.

16. nmpops

nmpops Loaded Pockets

I usually pocket carry a J frame so I carry 1 speed strip in the watch pocket of jeans or the right cargo pocket if wearing shorts or cargo pants. I rarely carry more than one reload as I doubt I would be able to reload more than once. Carry more in my sling bag.

17. montejames

montejames Loaded Pockets

2 guns & a reload for each. Gives me 42 rounds.

18. Gary Gross

Gary Gross Loaded Pockets

I carry a Springfield XDS 9mm with 7 round mag to minimize printing. Currently I have a spare 7 round mag in an unused Leatherman sheath on the weak side of my belt. It's very low profile and people just assume it's a tool. I work in an office so I can't go overboard. I have a another spare 9 round mag in my backpack just in case.

19. xICEMANx

xICEMANx Loaded Pockets

Can't carry at work so I have my glock 19 in this. With one spare 17 rounder
    [​IMG]
    My glock 43 I carry with the Taran tactical plus 2 and a spare in my hollis holster horizontal mag pouch.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

20. MedusaOblongata

Just curious, how do you answer when a coworker asks to borrow your Leatherman to open a can of food or something?

steeps likes this.