1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

How many mags do you carry and how?

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by Gray29, Jul 9, 2015.

1. saniterra

saniterra Loaded Pockets

My regular carry alternates between a Sig P229 with the .40 S&W barrel in it or an Officer Model 1911. In both cases, two exta mags in an IWB mag holder. 11 rd extended mags for the 1911 and 13 rd mags for the Sig.

2. notlimah

notlimah Loaded Pockets

Thanks Dorian! Fortunately for me, I haven't quite taken on a full dunlap disease yet, but it does seem to be more comfortable as far as eliminating that pinch zone. I might just have to get a couple and try them out.

Dorian likes this.
  3. RichinVA

RichinVA Loaded Pockets

Rafter S brown shark and a WC 8 round with shorty pad.............[​IMG]

4. RichinVA

RichinVA Loaded Pockets

Might as well carry 10.... David Elderton pouch from years ago....[​IMG]

hawkeye- likes this.
  5. CDKJudoka

CDKJudoka Loaded Pockets

Since I now just carry 9mm CZs, my "loadout" has changed a little bit.

CZ P-07 - Spare mag on my belt (15rd), and two spare P-09 mags (19rd) in my laptop bag - 69 rds of 124gr +P
    Sphinx SDP Compact - Spare mag on my belt (15rd) three spares in my laptop bag (two 16rd CZ75 mags, one 15 rd Sphinx SDP mag) - 78rds of 124gr +p

6. Riverghost

Riverghost Loaded Pockets

I carry a Glock 27 with 10+1, an additional 10 rnd mag on my belt weak side and sometimes a 13 rnd mag in a coat/vest pocket. the 10 rnd mags are factory 9 rnd with a +2 extension that ended up being a +1. As to why, my paradigm is this.....better to have and not need than to need and not have.

7. Riverghost

I carry a Glock 27 with 10+1, an additional 10 rnd mag on my belt weak side and sometimes a 13 rnd mag in a coat/vest pocket. the 10 rnd mags are factory 9 rnd with a +2 extension that ended up being a +1. As to why, my paradigm is this.....better to have and not need than to need and not have.

8. Riverghost

9. Jovan

Jovan Loaded Pockets

1) Kahr PM9 loaded 6+1, and a spare 8rd mag.

2) Smith & Wesson M&P BG380 loaded 6+1 and a spare 6rd mag.

Both ride in S.H.T.F. gear horizontal mag pouches

[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

MedusaOblongata likes this.
  10. Telstar

Telstar Loaded Pockets

Its not about round count for me. I carry an extra magazine specifically for mag failure. I use a safariland single mag carrier

11. steviesterno

steviesterno Loaded Pockets

i usually just carry the mag that's in the gun. I have some back ups in the truck, but not usually on my person. Until this year, I didn't feel under gunned with just an LCP 380. Now I do, and have upgraded to a 9mm 1911 (11 rounds works for me) but no spare mags. I test all my mags, and can't imagine it dies for the first time when I pull it in public. I may be wrong, but much like the spare tire analogy, the gun is the spare. The extra mag is an extra spare and a back up tire iron in case yours bends. The only people I know that carry that many tires are overland explorers.

12. BubbaFett
    • In Omnia Paratus

BubbaFett Loaded Pockets

I've thought about leaving some loaded mags in the car, but I worry about what the Texas heat will do to the ammo. I don't know what it would do, but I know it kills my car batteries quick.

Anyone know?

13. steviesterno

steviesterno Loaded Pockets

yup, no real problems as long as you're not in the humid parts. I kept loaded mags and a loaded carry gun in my car in florida for years, never had anything cook off or go bad. Ammo has to reach something like 400* to go off on it's own, and then it just pops out of the casing (unless it's in a gun barrel). your car won't get that hot.

Not the best for long term storage, but as long as you change it out every year or so you should be fine.

nosuchagency and BubbaFett like this.
  14. Sthrnfire85

Sthrnfire85 Empty Pockets

I just carry one in the pistol with 2 xtra in the car

15. Powrstroke6.0

Powrstroke6.0 Loaded Pockets

I carry one extra mag on me everyday. If I'm going somewhere iffy, or have a funny feeling before leaving the house two.

16. dreiwhit

dreiwhit Loaded Pockets

I carry two spare M&P40 magazines in a 5.11 Blade Tech kydex magazine pouch on my weak side.

17. Trave1ingEast

Trave1ingEast Loaded Pockets

This,

[​IMG]

18+1 with a 20 round spare.

MedusaOblongata and jkwithawave like this.
  18. RAMBOCAT

RAMBOCAT Loaded Pockets

I carry a Glock 21 SF with a 20 round mag and two 20 round spares on my off side in a custom paddle carrier.

P.S. I'm crippled, so running away isn't an option.

Last edited by RAMBOCAT, May 28, 2016
  19. litework

litework Loaded Pockets

I typically carry two spare mags in my side and/or back pocket. It doesn't matter if I'm carrying a single stack or double stack. I've always carried a couple of mags. When a gun comes with only two magazines, even if I don't think I'll carry it, I always buy at least one additional magazine out of habit.

jkwithawave likes this.
  20. Stutz

Stutz EDC Junkie

My paradigm of self-defense would be to use sudden, surprise violence as a means to escape. I don't consider the likelihood of an extended shootout scenario to be realistic for my personal situation. For that reason, I typically don't carry extra ammo. When I carry, it's almost always my Ruger LCR, sometimes with a speed strip in my coin pocket but often not. I occasionally will carry my Glock 23, but never an extra mag.

I've recently taken to EDCing OC spray, and kinda sorta think of it as my "reload". I'm pretty sold on the idea of OC, actually. A can is like $13, and it's very versatile: useful on dogs or people, nonlethal, easy to hide in a pocket or ready in your hand, legal to have nearly anywhere except airplanes & courtrooms, passes metal detectors unlike my pocketknife (sporting events!)...

NelsonIII likes this.