1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

How many knives do you carry?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Water-Rat, Jan 14, 2017.

?

How many knives do you carry?

1. 1

25 vote(s)
    20.5%
  2. 2

52 vote(s)
    42.6%
  3. 3

26 vote(s)
    21.3%
  4. 4

11 vote(s)
    9.0%
  5. 5

3 vote(s)
    2.5%
  6. More than 5?

5 vote(s)
    4.1%
  1. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

@Montetobuso: did I read you right? You carry the Vic classic on flights? I'm amazed. How do ya do it?

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

Montetobuso likes this.
  2. garza

garza Loaded Pockets

In some countries, the Vic Classic can be carried on flights. The TSA proposed the same rules for the US with NY Senator Schumer voicing strong opposition to the rule change.

Montetobuso likes this.
  3. That Movie Guy

That Movie Guy Loaded Pockets

Never really thought about it. Turns out, 5 is my number.

[​IMG]

Leatherman Wingman
    CRKT P.E.C.K.
    SAK Alox Cadet
    Leatherman Micra
    Spyderco Tenacious.

When I'm working I switch out the Tenacious in favour of my ZT 0350 and add my Skinth work pouch which contains my LM Charge AL and LM Crunch, amongst other things, bringing the total blade count to 8.

I think I might have a problem.

4. Moshe ben David

I remember quite a while back -- I thought it was well over a year, year and a half -- a tentative move to allow blades about the size of the Vic classic. My understanding at that time was it never became fact. Didn't know that some countries allowed it. Based on other postings here at edcf, I had the impression that many other countries were actually even stricter.

I live and (sort of) learn!

Moshe ben David

5. garza

garza Loaded Pockets

Blade length 6cm and under is allowed by several countries for air

I have carried my Vic Classic through airport security in some European countries. The blade length is less than 6 centimeters which was the length of the proposed TSA changes.

6. Montetobuso

Montetobuso Loaded Pockets

I keep it on my key chain in my pocket, and usually just dump everything in my pants pockets in my coat, and the coat is sent through the scanner. Twice the security personnel has taken a closer look at it, and approved it. Just to avoid confusion, this has been mostly on domestic flights in Norway, but also on international flights to other European countries. As far as I remember it has been with me on trips to Denmark, Germany and Italy (and some transfers that involved going through security again in Sweden and the Netherlands). I started carrying it on flights when Avinor (Norwegian state-owned company that owns an operates nearly all the civil airports in Norway) announced that they would allow knives with blades shorter than 6cm on-board (the same knife would still be illegal to carry on the streets of Oslo ). This might have changed later, I read this announcement in 2015 I think. They can still confiscate what ever they deem dangerous, but so far they have been reasonable. The times they have taken a closer look on the Vic, I have not in any way talked to them or tried to defend the choice of bringing it, they have just looked at it, unfolded the blade, folded it back up again and put it back with the rest of my stuff. The Vic classic is cheap enough that it would not be a disaster to have it confiscated. I think I read somewhere a while back that even the TSA was going to ease up a bit regarding small folding knives? I might be wrong, and have not been flying to the US in a very long time. I am, however going to the US next summer, and I will be flying domestically there as well, so I guess I really have to make sure of the rules in the states before we go.

Update:
    @Moshe ben David @garza I should have read your posts before answering :)

Last edited by Montetobuso, Apr 11, 2017
    #86 Montetobuso, Apr 11, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
    Moshe ben David likes this.
  7. 425KRS

425KRS Loaded Pockets

Just one, one at a time.

8. bakpackr

bakpackr Loaded Pockets

One on me, but average 3 in my bag so I have options if I need something more concealable or a multi tool

9. huntnow

huntnow Loaded Pockets

At work; keychain folder, large folder, and a small fixed because life is unpredictable.

10. garza

garza Loaded Pockets

This has been my experience in Europe carrying a Vic Classic. I place the knife in my checked bag when flying from the US to Europe.

The TSA will confiscate the Vic Classic since the proposed TSA rule change was withdrawn. The word 'knife' evokes an irrational fear and the size and type of knife is not considered.

11. Moshe ben David

@garza: I agree with you totally about the largely irrational fears aroused by the sh**ple when they see a knife or even discuss one. Unless of course they're using a knife from the break room for slicing their morning bagel!

Reminds me of a story I read (probably here on edcf!). Seems a Brit was visiting an office (he was a consultant of some sort) and had a bundle of handouts with him to distribute prior to starting his presentation. Said bundle was held together with some sort of plastic tie. So he asked if anyone had a scissor or something to cut the tie. Some helpful sort offered up a pocket knife. Brit reacts in horror at the appearance of a 'weapon' in an office environment. After brief search someone finds a disposable plastic knife such as one would get a fast food place. That was deemed both proper and acceptable.

So it seems there has been more than a bit of brain washing on both sides of the famous 'pond'!

I was born in 1953. Growing up my late Dad ALWAYS had some kind of small pocket knife. As did everyone else I knew. I have carried something of this sort since at least junior high school.

The generations which fought and won two world wars, as well as any number of conflicts over the centuries, must be spinning in their graves and wondering where the current generations backbones have disappeared to!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

A.B. likes this.
  12. tde

tde Loaded Pockets

schumer is an .......

13. Moshe ben David

???????

Moshe ben David

14. DocHoliday

DocHoliday Loaded Pockets

Somewhere between 3 and 6 depending on the day and the mood I'm in and where I'm going

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. calvinw

calvinw Loaded Pockets

From my understanding, the propsed TSA rule change to allow small non-locking knives was proposed in order to be in line with existing rules in other countries. Other countries always allowed it. The US ban made it complicated for international connection flyers. But alas, the new regulation was not ultimately adopted by TSA.

I carry two blades, usually. One dedicated folder, and one Victorinox Manager on the keychain. The Manager is great! I carry it because of the scissors, pen, bottle opener, and both #1 and #2 Phillips screwdrivers. It has a blade, but I could do without it (I've actually never used it).

But I also have a LM Wave and a fixed blade (SOG NW Ranger) in the car.

Water-Rat and garza like this.
  16. Wo0ki3

Wo0ki3 Loaded Pockets

Case peanut in pocket caddy, Custom 93 MM Vic in jeans coin pocket, and a Case trapper on a belt sheath. I don't count the electrician's blade on the Vic, as it has specific usage in mind. Peanut comes out to avoid scaring people and fine tasks, where the trapper opens up for stuff outside & food.

Water-Rat and Moshe ben David like this.
  17. Line Dawg

Line Dawg Empty Pockets

I carry 3; a SAK Super Tinker, Buck 110 and an Onterio RAT 1. I know there's some redundancy with the RAT and the 110, but I use them for different types of cutting tasks so they have different edge geometries.

Moshe ben David and Wo0ki3 like this.
  18. SBO

SBO Loaded Pockets

Leatherman wave and kershaw cryo 2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. brj

brj Empty Pockets

Same here. Currently, Vic Midnite Manager, Spyderco S110V Military and Mora Eldris

20. Trigger's broom

Trigger's broom Loaded Pockets

2 for me, one on keychain & one in the pocket.