1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

How many ham radio people on edcforums?

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by Bogwan, Mar 17, 2010.

1. Double_Tap

Double_Tap Loaded Pockets

The only downside to amateur radio is that much of the equipment is not inexpensive. On the other hand, a lot of the 2 meter stuff (good for around town usually), is pretty reasonable. If you want to talk to the other side of the world, a typical HF rig will run a bit more.

But that being said, I regularly work folks in California (I'm in NC) on 2 meters (and 70cm) via one of the many amateur accessible satellites in orbit. You can also work the space shuttle with the same rig, and when I lived in WI, we used to do a lot of moon bounce work. So to answer the question, you can "reach out" pretty far. :) See arrl.org for much more information.

As for the OP, I tend to carry a VX-7R and in the car, I have a G707.

2. Krustofski

Krustofski Loaded Pockets

German Federal Network Agency for Electricity, Gas, Telecommunications, Posts and Railway (now that's a name for an authority, uh?) class A license. That'd be a rough equivalent to a General.

When I was a broke student, I was mostly found on 2 m. Not much going on nowadays, lost interest, other hobbies, got engaged, yadda yadda. Kind of a shame, now that I could afford the rig I wanted back in the day, I don't care anymore.

3. Pondering

Pondering Loaded Pockets

Ordinarily, I would direct you to the ARRL website at http://www.arrl.org/ which used to have a decent overview on how to become a ham. However, they appear to be reworking their site and their newbie links now take you to a poorly designed (or, at least, a poorly indexed) blog site. However, there may still be stuff buried in there. Take a look at the licensing tab on the main ARRL site.

Also, the forums on www.QRZ.com might be of help. Here is one post on the "How to become a Ham/Upgrade" forum that is specific on how to become a ham:
    http://forums.qrz.com/showthread.php?t=231938

If you are interested in becoming a ham, I suggest you check out local ham radio clubs. The link at arrl for clubs does appear to be working.

Good luck!

4. Skipperbrown

Skipperbrown Loaded Pockets

Extra, wife is a tech. I don't do any HF work anymore and very little uhf/vhf. Since cell phones got so reliable and smart it's e z r to use them instead of ham equip. I used to love psk. I could talk half way around the world 20m on 10-15w.

5. Rich

Rich Loaded Pockets

Extra and recently did my GROL + RADAR just for fun. I've gotta say that studying the commercial elements really teaches you some cool applications of radio and I highly recommend it for ANYONE toying with the idea.

Sitting next to me right now is my not-so-trusty 10 year old Yaesu VX-5R which has a 2 inch "stubby" replacement antenna, the first antenna was the victim of an attack cat.

In the truck I have a Yaesu FT-2800 (2 meters only) which ends up serving primarily as a VHF scanner; I'm lucky enough to live in a county where ALMOST everything worth listening to is on VHF.

With my MRE stash in the truck there's also one of these: PIXIE 2 and a key, but I don't think either will see much use barring a ****** apocalypse.

6. themadplumbarian

themadplumbarian Loaded Pockets

I stopped by the library, and picked up a book on "general class license manual" nice thing is i dont have to have it back for 4 weeks, there is a club here in town, some where? but ill do my studying and even in the book it has all the questions for the test, so thats half of the issue, equipment would be the other half, but first things first,,, thanks guys JR

7. greyhound352

greyhound352 Loaded Pockets

I got my tech ticket last year. I have a Yaesu HT-60 that I use for C.E.R.T ARES/RACES AND REACT groups in the local area. I would love to get a 2M for the truck, but we use both sets of frequencies here with the local groups.

8. Merrib64

Merrib64 Loaded Pockets

I run a complete Kenwood base station TS-790A, TS-850 along with matching speaker and scope. I also have several 2mtr/440 ht's along with a Kenwood
    mobile in my auto. Also have 3 different scanners. All in all I am fairly well equipped. Now if I would only spend more time using them. Here lately the internet is getting most of my free time. Seems like I need to change habits.

9. cosine

cosine Loaded Pockets

Amateur Extra here. I don't operate much (pretty much never, too busy with school and whatnot) but I should get around to getting a 2m/70cm HT to add to my EDC.

10. tmoflight

tmoflight Empty Pockets

i got my tech + when i was 16. i renewed the license a few years ago but haven't been part of a local net in years. When we moved into town one of my neighbors stopped by to say hi and let me know that our neighborhood has a local disaster-relief program that is sponsored by the city and run by volunteers. it mostly has to do with polling the community to see what special skills, equipment, and the like would be available in a disaster (most likely a blizzard or flooding for us). One of the questions was "Are you a ham operator?" i was happy to say yes and go fish out my old (but still excellent quality) equipment. i think that is really where i see my use of that license: when the big storm hits or blizzard rolls into town and the phone lines are down. Then you find the local community of ham operators waking from their iPhone induced slumber to communicate and coordinate. i don't think about it much, but it's nice to know there are a couple of us in the neighborhood even if we don't talk every night from our basements!

11. lexmedic157

lexmedic157 Loaded Pockets

I am. Still working on Extra

12. Dlab

Dlab Loaded Pockets

I am, although the ham shack is getting a bit dusty. I EDC a vx-7r and mostly use it to monitor local law enforcement and CB while on the road.