1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

How many ham radio people on edcforums?

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by Bogwan, Mar 17, 2010.

1. Bogwan

Bogwan Loaded Pockets

Just wondering how many people on these forums are ham radio operators?
    What do you EDC for radios?

+1 for me.
    Icom IC-T90A Dual Bander portable.
    Icom IC-706MKIIG on trips.

2. 5axis

5axis Loaded Pockets

KE6MZV - mainly 2-meter when I have the time.

3. Flight-ER-Doc

Flight-ER-Doc Loaded Pockets

Extra, not really up on anything regularly

4. MartinTravels

MartinTravels Empty Pockets

I am, although I don't think I've used it in 15 years.

5. revs
    • In Omnia Paratus

revs Loaded Pockets

Had my license for a year now. Just need a good mobile mount for my Jeep. Thinking of trading my Yaesu dual band handheld for a mobile mount.

6. benissocool

benissocool Loaded Pockets

I carry a Yaesu VX-170 in my bag all the time, and a Kenwood TM-D710A in the car. The coworkers who make fun of me EDC'ing the VX-170 HT are the first ones to stop by to get a weather report when tornado season comes along.

7. Kardolf

Kardolf Loaded Pockets

I have Yaesu VX-170 also, but the universe is conspiring against me actually getting my license! I have been studying since the end of November, but every single time I have scheduled a test, some piece of my world falls apart, and I am not able to get to the test. One of these days, I will have my license, and actually be able to use my toy.

8. quadrille

quadrille Loaded Pockets

I carry a Yeasu VX8 and have a Yeasu 8800 in the jeep. Was active for a while now just mostly listen

9. Pondering

Pondering Loaded Pockets

I EDC an ICOM IC-V8. Not particularly active, although I now routinely check the V8 to make sure it has a good charge after getting caught with a dead battery.

10. NoQuarter

NoQuarter Loaded Pockets

Yaesu vx5-R. For which I EDC an SMA2SO239 pig tail adapter, stubby antenna for close work, factory rubber ducky for normal use, and recently an MFJ 1714 (i think is the model number) "Long Ranger" telescoping, 1/2 wave antenna which by the way is a super antenna to EDC when you are in fringe areas. EXCELLENT recieve and tx from/to distant stations. This telescoping antenna has a BNC connection which it doesn't state on MFJ's website. If you have an SMA connector on your HT, I'd recommend Commet's SMA2BNC adapter as it is much shorter and less parts than others.

11. tappan

tappan Loaded Pockets

Sadly, I let my Technician license expire this last month. I heavily used it the first 3 years(age 16-18) but slowly utilized it less and less as the years passed.
    But I remember my enjoyment of the hobby and will probably pick it back up again in the future.

12. Flight-ER-Doc

Well, since you can renew online for just a few bucks, why not keep it?

13. chaosmagnet
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

chaosmagnet Loaded Pockets

I'm licensed but inactive. I have a Kenwood TH-79A and an older Yaesu HT; the battery packs for both are well and truly dead.

14. NoQuarter

NoQuarter Loaded Pockets

Tappan, Listen to Flight!!! For no more than it costs, why not keep your ticket up?

What with some of these smaller HT's out these days, they're perfect for EDC. My tiny Yaesu vx5 weighs bearly more than an old Sears Roebuck lockback knife I keep in my pack. I have access to 6meter, 2meter, 70centimeter, NOAA, and can pickup the UTC time from Colorado (always have the correct time) and can RX most all commercial EMS/LE frequencies, it's like having a 200 channel scanner that's slightly larger than a pack of cigarettes :)

15. Flight-ER-Doc

Check Ebay for replacements, or disposable (AA) battery packs. Or, you can rebuild your old packs.

I'm still running an Icom IC-02AT (the radio that refuses to die, despite being dropped from great heights).

16. Pondering

Pondering Loaded Pockets

Yep. I'd also encourage you to renew your ticket while you can...I went inactive for awhile and when I wanted to get back in discovered I had waited juuusssttttt long enough to have to take the test again.

17. HanzoSteel

HanzoSteel Empty Pockets

Tech, KI6xxx

Yaesu vx6

Yaesu 2500

Icom 2800

18. tappan

tappan Loaded Pockets

For some reason I had remembered that my license expired 1/23/2010... I was half right, it actually comes up 1/23/2012.
    I logged in to renew it and found that there was no need. I probably would have just kept on thinking it was expired, so... thanks guys!

19. Andy Wayne

Andy Wayne Loaded Pockets

I've had my license since I was 14 I believe it was. I carry a Kenwood TR-2600a in my truck. I haven't keyed up a radio in years. Between cell phone and FRS radios, I don't have much of a need for it any more.

73s,
    KB9IZK

20. themadplumbarian

themadplumbarian Loaded Pockets

Ive always thought of doing it, especially now that i have plenty of time to do nothing, but i know nothing of it? and also dont have a lot of $$$ to spend on equipment, whats the cost on a license? and how far can you reach out with a ham? i cant find any info,,,JR