1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

"How many flashlights do I (you) need"?

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by dmattaponi, May 5, 2017.

1. Swe_Nurse

Swe_Nurse Loaded Pockets

Like someone said early in the thread, N+1. Yes, I want another light. Next one will probably be a right angled Zebralight. But it might also be an Olight or a Thrunite or a Nitecore or whatever, if it comes on sale or if it catches my eye in another way. Do I "need" it? Not really, but I want it and that's enough. I don't consider myself a "collector of flashlights" because I happen to have several, just like I'm not a collector of t-shirts or pants because I have a bunch of each. I like having options and I like switching up the tools I carry.

Regarding the condescending/judging form of the question:
    If someone has such opinions regarding my flashlight (knife/packs/gear/etc.) purchases I have a perfect place where that opinion can be forcefully placed. Incidentally it is a pretty dark place where the sun doesn't shine. I earn my own money, I choose where to spend them.

2. speedy

speedy Loaded Pockets

I don't know. I have many for various reasons. I have a handheld and a headlamp for work for I am in many different unexpected situations. I keep one in the car. We have headlamps in the house for many reasons. Standard flashlights. Then the ones on my keychain. Many I don't even know where they are. Oh and there is a headlamp plus a standard flashlight in my home toolkit bag.

dmattaponi likes this.
  3. SOS24

SOS24 Loaded Pockets

I believe in having plenty of lights strategically placed, because the last thing I want to do when I need a flashlight is fumble around looking for it only to realize it isn’t where I thought it was.

Beyond my edc flashlight, I have a flashlight
    - By my bedside, in case I hear a bump in the night
    - On my end table where I normally sit
    - Table next to the door
    - Car glove box
    - My main travel bag
    - In BOB/GHB

This way I always know where a flashlight is and that there is one nearby if I need it. Maybe it is overkill, but I really hate not being able to ind a light when the power goes out or the dog is barking at something.

dmattaponi likes this.
  4. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

@SOS24: +1. My habits on this both in the house, the car, my bag(s) etc are like yours! At least one light in every room -- plus always something on my person other than when I'm in bed or the shower! (TMI? sorry.)

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

Low_Speed, dmattaponi and SOS24 like this.
  5. FiaOlleDog

FiaOlleDog Loaded Pockets

This thread made me think and compile the following list (which i was only somewhat aware):

EDC, on person (key-chain): Thrunite Ti3 with 1 AAA Eneloop
    Ratio: small enough to not be annoying in my pants pocket, bright enough to be useful (firefly is used more than often in the night, mid/12 lumen for most uses, and high/120 lumen enough occasionally), AAA standard battery easy available in case I need to rely on my keychain light for an (unplanned) extended period of time.

EDC, backpack: Thrunite TH20 headlamp, with 1 AA Eneloop
    Ratio: hands-free when working or giving first aid, brightness/runtime can be seamlessly adjusted, AA standard battery easy available in case I need to rely on my headlamp for an (unplanned) extended period of time.

Bedside: Noname with zoom, some lame 80 or so lumens with 1 AA Eneloop
    Ratio: if some noise during the night (outside) asks for attention ... at least in theory. Thanksfully Christmas is coming up and I think I urgently need to replace this with something really bright (200-500 lumens), AA battery (so no Li-types) preferred - suggestions, please! :)

Car: no-name with triple CR2032
    Ratio: when car breaks down and I'm not in it, needs to keep charge for years, not affected by heat (summer) or cold (winter). Suggestions, please?

Working closet: ThruNite TC12 with 18650, USB rechargable
    Ratio: when in need for some more brightness (800 lumens), rarely used.

EDC drawer: Petzl E+Lite (2 x CR2032), Lumintop Worm 4.0 (1 x AAA), Petzl Taktica headlamp (3 x AAA), ThruNite TiS + Ti2 (1 x AAA), and some other flashlights that didn't made it into daily life, but can't get rid of them, because I may find a need, someday.

Last edited by FiaOlleDog, Nov 16, 2018
    #85 FiaOlleDog, Nov 13, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2018
    dmattaponi likes this.
  6. Elmiro Dungfoot

Elmiro Dungfoot Loaded Pockets

I don't know, you tell-me.

[​IMG]

david57strat, Low_Speed and JHGM like this.
  7. dmattaponi

dmattaponi Loaded Pockets

I wasn’t condescending. I thought itwas a fun question. Now your comments on the other hand...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Willy likes this.
  8. Norseman

Norseman Loaded Pockets

I’ve said this before and I’ll say it again: you guys validate me on threads like this. I’m a little fish with only 9 flashlights but I’m definitely going to get another. How many is enough?? How many do I need? Answer: just one more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. turbo6

turbo6 Loaded Pockets

I suppose to many people it would be slightly unusual to have a collection of a few dozen or more flashlights; but then again people collect virtually anything these days simply as a hobby or just a quest for the best.

For me, it's always been about the right tool for the right job. It started as a "one size fits all" purchase and then I realized maybe I need a smaller one, brighter one, a headlamp, one with better options etc. I can justify it because I use them all, I love the outdoors.

Conversely it makes more sense for me to collect something I use than to say buy $1000 knives or $3000 custom handguns that just sit in a safe and collect dust.

david57strat and dmattaponi like this.
  10. Swe_Nurse

Swe_Nurse Loaded Pockets

I'm not saying you were condescending, if you go back and read you will see I was specifically talking about the condescending or derogatory form of the question (which you are talking about in your OP). Completely different, that part was quite obviously not targeted to your question. Mostly because I answered your question first and then specified I was talking about another form. I also said "If someone has such opinions regarding..." which should make it painfully clear that wasn't answering your question but rather addressing this specific opinion.

I'm standing by what I said regarding that (again, NOT about your question): I earn my own money and I choose what I'm spending them on and I don't care if people thing I have too many flashlights, knives, tools, bags, pens, gadgets or whatever people might have opinions about. I don't have dependents, no one has a right to tell me what to spend my money on. And I tell people that if they are nosy enough to ask that question.

dmattaponi and Moshe ben David like this.
  11. david57strat

david57strat EDC Junkie!!!

Amen, to that. There is no such thing as too many lights.

[​IMG]
    Strictly 18650-based lights, three of which are headlamps.

[​IMG]
    Most everything else (Two not pictured, in the car: Fenix E40 and Maglite 2D, converted with Malkoff XP-G2 R5 LED. All D Maglites have Borofloat glass lenses.

For on the go, I may have as many as fifteen, or so lights:

[​IMG]
    Two lights not pictured: Armytek Elf C2 (cool white), and Skillhunt H03 (Neutral) headlamps, in Audio Technica microphone pouch.

I could say the same for hand tools, but I don't own nearly as many (nor do I use them nearly as often as I do, flashlights). I put my lights to use, all the time. Having the right tool for the job is a blessing.

Last edited by david57strat, Dec 30, 2018
    #91 david57strat, Nov 26, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2018
  12. FiaOlleDog

FiaOlleDog Loaded Pockets

@david57strat may I use your posting as a print-out to show my wife that I don't have too many flashlights? :cool:

13. twin63

twin63 Loaded Pockets

As impressive as his flashlight collection is, and judging from pics I've seen, his charging station is equally impressive.

14. david57strat

Sure - why not?

15. david57strat

Thank you kindly, brother. I'm a charging fanatic, as well as a flashlight fanatic lol. Having multiple chargers makes it possible to charge up everything, pretty quickly.

In the car I keep an Anker multi-port USB charger, that powers these, if I need to charge something, on the go.

[​IMG]
    an XTAR MC6 Queen Ant (what a funny name)

[​IMG]
    a Pair of XTAR MC1 Plus

[​IMG]
    Still have these two Nitecore D4s, but they're pretty much retired (they were replaced by the 4 SC4 charges, which I love:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The whole family

#95 david57strat, Nov 29, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
    FiaOlleDog and twin63 like this.
  16. david57strat

Might be slightly unusual, but it really comes in handy!

One size, most definitely, does not fit all.

twin63 likes this.
  17. ccwaters

ccwaters Loaded Pockets

Without a doubt a few more then I need, but I enjoy collecting stuff, and flashlights do fit in the stuff category. Besides, much worse things you could spend money on!

[​IMG]

david57strat and twin63 like this.
  18. david57strat

Very cool. I'm a huge fan of the Solarforce L2 Series platform. Great hosts, for the money.

What you got loaded in that L2P?

That quad, just below your watch - is that a D4? Which emitters did you choose?

19. ccwaters

ccwaters Loaded Pockets

The L2 was my first LED light, currently I have a 4 mode Nichia in it from Mountain, been considering building a quad for it. Yes that is a D4 It is the XP-L HI 1A version, amazing light for the $$!

david57strat likes this.
  20. david57strat

Excellent!

The D4s are pretty amazing, as well. I have one of their Grey hosts (also purchased through Mountain), with a Quad Nichia 219C, installed. Absolutely beautiful color :). It seems they now have a D4S model, that runs on a 26650, which I'm drooling over.

ccwaters likes this.