1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

"How many flashlights do I (you) need"?

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by dmattaponi, May 5, 2017.

1. smokingfish

smokingfish Loaded Pockets

Need? Probably one, preferably on my keychain.

Also keep one in the car and one on my nightstand.

Qr beta on my keys. I think 100 lumens
    Custom 1200 lumen nightcore in my car
    Custom toolvn 700 lumen on my nightstand

I use the keychain one 90% of the time and is plenty for all my needs.

dmattaponi and Stormdrane like this.
  2. Blackheart

Blackheart Loaded Pockets

Unless you always take your keys (or one of your other lights) with you into the bathroom, it wouldn't hurt to have a light in there, too.

(trust me on this)

Moshe ben David and Stormdrane like this.
  3. LEDFreak

LEDFreak Loaded Pockets

Well how many I need? I have been contemplating this question from time to time. I am definitely a collector, although all my lights get used in my EDC rotation once in a while (but I do have my favourites, lately it has been my Olight S1 or S Mini as EDC).

I usually EDC one light in my pocket. In winter time I add one in my coat pocket as well. My work (laptop) bag usually has some lights for different purposes (flood/throw/fun factor). I usually have somewhere between 3-6 lights with me. The only constant light in my EDC is my HDS Clicky EDC 120 which is always on me, except when I carry my HDS LE 200. That is also excluding my two keychains ,car key set and house key set, which have a Fenix E01 (it's on my keychain ever since 2007 and still working great) and Prometheus Beta-QR (the first version).

Of course what I need depends on my situation or activity, but in usual office work and travel from an to work (I'm an IT guy) I think I could suffice with one EDC light, one keychain light as backup and a decent light at home for worst case scenarios. But then again I love flashlights and besides fun they do help me out from time to time. I also use my EDC as bicycle light in a flashlight mount on my bike.

dmattaponi likes this.
  4. smokingfish

smokingfish Loaded Pockets

Nah, my bathroom has lights in it aleady, and a door so it doesn't bother the lady.

5. Blackheart

Blackheart Loaded Pockets

You're missing the point. I've told the story around here at least a couple times...

Washroom at work, no windows, no emergency lighting, sitting there taking care of business, then... power outage. It is now DARK dark, as in can't-see-your-hand-in-front-of-your-face dark. Sat there for a couple minutes... power isn't coming back (we had blown up a transformer, again).

Fortunately, I still had my mini-maglite in my pants pocket from a job I had just finished. Took the bezel off, used it as a base (so called "candle-mode") and set it on top of the toilet paper dispenser. Was able to complete my mission.

This is what spurred my interest in flashlights. Especially ones small enough that I could always have one with me.

Happened again like a year later, this time I was prepared.

Heard about the same thing happening to a guy in New York City. Got caught in the bathroom of his condo during a power outage. I believe it was during this:

[​IMG]

Again, no windows so no light of any kind. Says he walked down to the hardware store the next day, picked up 4 flashlights with batteries, and distributed them around his place (with one dedicated to the bathroom).

Epilogue: The THIRD time this happened at work, one of the bosses was caught in my previous situation. A battery-backed emergency light was installed a couple of days later.

Last edited by Blackheart, Dec 12, 2017
    #45 Blackheart, Dec 12, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
  6. Maave

Maave Loaded Pockets

My lineup is
    -self defense
    -home defense
    -car

personally I always have all my EDC on me. I make sure all my gear is slim enough that it's comfortable to sit with and carry all the time.

dmattaponi likes this.
  7. NorthernHarrier

NorthernHarrier Loaded Pockets

After careful consideration, I have determined that the correct answer to the original question is: 37.9.

No, seriously, the answer varies with the person and their needs, and it also depends on whether they enjoy using a variety of lights or just want to have the minimum necessary for vital tasks. Since becoming interested in quality lights, I have found new uses for flashlights with different characteristics, because there is no light that does everything equally well.

I have also discovered new types of lights I didn't know would be very useful to me - and now that I have them, I wouldn't do without them! An example of this type of discovery is the tiny lantern. I have a Xtar RC2 Moon clip-on light that has proven very helpful to me in a variety of tasks taking place within 15-20 feet of me. The neutral light and several output levels with good run-times make this little tool a great asset in power outages and in doing repairs requiring two free hands.

I have seldom bought more than one or two lights per year, but lately I've been buying more, because I have found lights I'm interested in using and believe will be good investments - they will be very useful and will remain useful for years. I've also lately allowed myself to buy lights in part for a reason I never would have considered many years ago - the enjoyment of using a well-engineered, attractive device. I will never buy a light just for that reason, but that enjoyment probably results in ownership of more lights than I would buy otherwise.

Here's my lineup of lights I will use, 'though not every day:
    Zebralight SC62w for everyday carry
    Zebralight SC32w for everyday carry when commuting light
    Olight S-mini ti (same use as SC32w)
    Maratac 1xAAA aluminum (backup light for commute/work)
    Emisar D4 (x2) on their way (different emitters in each; for commute/work and throwing light in home situations)
    Xtar RC2 Moon clip-on lantern - power outages, work at home where more light needed
    Zebralight SC52 (original version) - used at home

dmattaponi likes this.
  8. steviesterno

steviesterno Loaded Pockets

One for EDC, like a single cell AAA
    Phone is backup. even in the bathroom (don't lie, most of us take them in there)
    One good one in each vehicle Like a 2 cell CR123 or whatever you prefer
    a good little guy for around the house, walking the dog, etc. as above
    a small, not so :censored: bright one because my son loves to play flashlight tag and I'm tired of being blinded by 100 lumens.

IMPORTANT and not yet addressed ( I don't think)... One on every weapon you plan on using for home defense! this one should be good quality, reliable, and often tested! and it should be attached to the gun, since every time I needed to grab a weapon in a hurry I never thought to also grab a light/extra ammo, etc. whatever you think you may need should be in one easy to grab package.

9. kscaddo

kscaddo Empty Pockets

This exact thing happened to me about 20 years ago. Also twice, and I also was ready the 2nd time. Regards

10. Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock Loaded Pockets

How many do I need? One more...always one more! :bounce:

11. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

Just like with pocket knives, there are just so many nice examples out there, it's easy for us (mainly) men to get carried away/tempted and end up buying/collecting them,........if other living expenses have already been taken care of and it's not affecting your life, there's no harm in it I suppose.

I've got to the stage where I own probably 30 or 40 of both these things, that's more than enough in my book, I'll doubt that I'll ever wear them all out.

Most of my lights are single cell ones, I just hate having to find or replace multiple batteries for ONE flashlight.

Dog boy and dmattaponi like this.
  12. el_murdoque

el_murdoque Loaded Pockets

That List seems very logical at first sight and something you'd agree with on a whim.

After giving this some thought, I came up with a different one, though.
    1. A personal ECD pocket light. Small form and weight factor so you really have it on you at all times.

2. A powerful light that fits a coat pocket. I favor a thrower. Something that turns the night into day, if need be. It needs a long running low setting for extended use.

3. A second personal EDC pocket light, so if you happen to break/loose/misplace (accidental ride in the washing machine) number one , there is the other one ready to go.
    As it is with knives, the best flashlight in the world is the one you have on you in the moment you need one.

I don't see the need for something in the middle. If I know I will need a good flashlight I pack my Dereelight DBS v3. It's nothing for a trouser pocket but with the clip it rides safely on a belt and it is small enough for a coat pocket. I use this to light up larger areas to search for deer when walking the dog at night, as a high beam on my bicycle when riding in the dark and everything else you might use it for. Mine is the version with Hi/mid/low settings, and a single 18650 lasts me a long time.
    My most used EDC is a Lumintop Tool AAA. The high setting is enough for checking out the entire backyard, and I can easily hold it with my mouth If I need both hands. The AAA battery means that I don't worry to use it too much because replacements are never far away.

FiaOlleDog likes this.
  13. The Essential Illuminator

The Essential Illuminator Loaded Pockets

For each user that can vary. The key word obviously is "NEED". Technically I could get away with 5 lights.

1.Keychain
    2.Glove compartment
    3.Primary light on trail
    4.Secondary light on trail
    5.Emergency/EDC light if any of the above fail!

But I like variety and I use my lights EVERY night on the trail with CAPO. I rotate about a Dozen of my Modded lights on the trail. If I just had Two of them I would get very bored with them! Variety is the spice of life.:D

dmattaponi likes this.
  14. T Shrapnel-Carruthers

T Shrapnel-Carruthers Loaded Pockets

Hmmm. I am on a four week trip away from home. A quick check around the hotel room reveals:
    • Nitecore Tube on my house key ring
    • LED Lenser next to bed in case of emergency
    • Nitecore MH10 in the pouch of stuff for car (its a rental)
    • Nitecore LA10 because it just happened to be here
    Clearly this is not enough. That is why I have just ordered another LED Lenser for my briefcase EDC pouch.

At home:
    • Generic flashlight in the meter cupboard / node zero
    • Another Nitecore MH10 in car glove compartment (I will probably put the LA10 there too)
    Clearly this is not enough either. That is why I ordered two LED Lensers.

dmattaponi likes this.
  15. Rasthor

Rasthor Loaded Pockets

I always have 2 on me, an Olight S1R, and now a ThorFire TG06S since I lost my S1A. There's a spare light and extra batteries for everything in my pack, and several more lights in my desk and toolboxes. The wife has one she carries in her purse, plus one in her car. I keep a headlamp in the glove boxes of vehicles, too. Plus random ones around the house in convenient locations. Bedroom, kitchen, near back door for walking the dog at night, etc. I really have no idea how many lights I actually have. But I'm always looking for something that fills a need better, short of modding something like I've seen on CPF, and BLF. Nothing against them, I just don't have the time for it right now.

dmattaponi likes this.
  16. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

I just realized that although I posted on this thread, my posts were more along the lines of 'amusing' (at least I think so!)

So:
    1. On my person (most days)
      1. NiteCore Tube on the keyring
      2. Streamlight Microstream in my pocket -- sharing a sheath with a Space Pen (Telescoping model)
    2. On my person (if dressed in a suit -- a rare occurrence these days!)
      1. NiteCore Tube on the keyring
    3. In whichever bag I am carrying that day:
      1. Streamlight Stylus Pro
      2. Streamlight Microstream in the PFAK in said bag
    4. In the car:
      1. In the console:
        1. PowerTac E1 'Twisty'
        2. Generic ball cap clip-on LED from Walmart
      2. On the backseat: MagLite 3xC LED
      3. In the trunk
        1. FAK with
          1. headlamp
          2. Streamlight Stylus Pro
          3. Pouch with assorted ball cap clip-on LED, couple of AA and AAA torches
    5. At home:
      1. Assorted Mini MagLite and generic LED lights; basically one in each room close to hand at favorite seats, bedside, etc.
      2. Headlamp in each FAK (one in kitchen, one in garage)
      3. Streamlight Stylus Pro in kitchen FAK
      4. Streamlight Microstream in garage FAK
    I guess I have adequate lights. Although I may add a few...

Who am I kidding. I'm on this thread. OF COURSE I WILL ADD!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

17. MedusaOblongata

MedusaOblongata Loaded Pockets

Flashlight technology has been evolving so quickly that it becomes hard to justify carrying a three year old light, even though it lights up the darkness as well as it always did, because a new model is available with better brightness and runtime in the same (or improved, e.g., rechargeable) size/cell format. Then last year's lights keep piling up. They're outdated so they have no resale value, but still plenty functional, they end up on the shelf, or stashed around different bags, cars, and spots in the house. Then when somebody takes flashlight inventory, they find a number that appears larger than necessary. Sometimes older lights can be gifted away, but if they take uncommon cells or look beat up they may not hold as much value to the recipient who didn't care enough to get their own flashlight in the first place. (I remember reading about a flashaholic who, in an attempt to impress a girl, gave her a SF E2 (incan) ($100?), but not long after she threw it away because "it stopped working." For a mere $8 worth of batteries she could have gotten another hour out of it.)

How many people have switched from 2xCR123A lights to single cell AAs (or14500s) because they can get the power they need with cheaper, more readily available, smaller cells? What happened to their old lights? How many relics litter the collections of flashaholics, like that 1950s pickup that gets 5 mpg and breaks down every 40 miles, but were once works of unprecedented technological mastery like the SF U2 or A2, which would cost $500 to mod only to be outshined by next year's $50 chinalight? These make the collection look much bigger when only 4 lights get used more than once a year.

Then again, sometimes we see an incan minimag in someone's EDC and we roll our eyes like we do when someone's still using a 2006 flip phone. But I bet that guy doesn't have too many lights.

The flashlight collection grows like the box of holsters or the closet of no longer used tactical (or not tactical enough) bags.

For anybody old enough to remember, the gold standard in flashlights was the $120 Surefire 6P, which boasted an incredibly bright, retina searing 60 lumens for an entire 60 minutes, and the incandescent bulb would burn out after a few hours runtime, but it could be replaced for a mere $35. Many of those lights still exist somewhere (thank FSM for aftermarket LED drop-ins), but those in their original configuration never get used, though the body will still be good for decades. Who would throw away such a powerful and sentimental piece of tactical history, which was once the pride and joy of somebody's collection? Then someone looks in the cabinet and asks, "how many flashlights do you need?"

earthman likes this.
  18. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

Many valid points you make there, in general many items that we buy have such a short lifespan, become obsolete or just not compatible with the latest software etc, I hate that. Mobile phones are probably the worse for that, I refuse to buy the top of the range ones, just not worth spending that amount of money on a phone that will need replacing in a few years.
    Thankfully, there are other Android phones on the market that offer almost as many features, more than I'll ever need actually but cost a fraction of the price.

19. Locomoco

Locomoco Loaded Pockets

Usually, being a creature of habit, I find that sweet spot of an EDC item I absolutely can't live without. I carry the items for years, to the point it is no longer sold and then I find myself having to scramble for a replacement of my beloved EDC item.

Case in point, I am on an extended trip to the Philippines and maybe it was the daily 100% humidity but my go-to EDC light is a Maratac Extreme AA and it died on me. Suddenly I'm scrambling to find a light to replace it like an Eagletac D25A Ti and a Reylight Pineapple.

On and on it goes...

Moshe ben David and Stormdrane like this.
  20. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Fortunately for me, I only have one light that is powered by a CR123. That light alone opened my eyes to the benefit of using AA and AAA cells. And made me think in terms of supply chain -- which given my profession, I should have been doing almost without being reminded!

Oh well, its a good story. One I use as an ice breaker in meetings on occasion!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David