1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

"How many flashlights do I (you) need"?

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by dmattaponi, May 5, 2017.

1. dmattaponi

dmattaponi Loaded Pockets

In reality this can be something of derogatory statement, as much as an honest question, when asked by those who do not appreciate flashlights (say, like my wife, when the UPS guy delivers my 6th Thrunite TN4A). Nevertheless, it got me to thinking about the question, and what I've come to see as a good "battery" of flashlights. I think a persons basic flashlight needs are comfortably met by...

1) A personal edc pocket flashlight that they can easily carry in their pocket with them every day, no matter their plans or where they are going. Something in a single cell format.

2) A decent home security flashlight with a momentary on function, capable of temporarily blinding an aggressor, or identifying a threat. Something in a 2 cell format.

3) A good "all-purpose" indoor/outdoor utility light to be used for anything from power outages, to searching the property. With this one, size wouldn't be so much of a consideration, so battery type/format would be more flexible than in #1 & #2 above, but I'd want it to have the capability of a low mode with very long runtimes, a good general purpose medium, and a very bright mode for longer range outdoors.

All of us know that there is a great deal of overlap, and that there are many flashlights today capable of doing a variety of tasks well, but I do think that for me at least the above battery of lights is a good balance, without becoming a "collector".

I'd be interested in hearing others thoughts on the subject, if anyone wants to share their view.

#1 dmattaponi, May 5, 2017
    Last edited: May 5, 2017
  2. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Don't know yet but more than I have evidently.

I carry 5 or so all the time in pocket or on my person as EDC really but I also use them constantly all day, every day so my "Needs" and those of others will probably not align somehow.

dmattaponi likes this.
  3. BklynBoy

BklynBoy Loaded Pockets

Every time we lose power I get great use out of the electric lantern. I don't know if you want to consider it a flashlight, but it is great for lighting up a room

dmattaponi likes this.
  4. Water-Rat

Water-Rat Loaded Pockets

I think what you listed is about right, though I'd like to have many more lights for backups and for certain situations. For power outages, I'd want something along the lines of a lantern with long runtimes that can light a wide area. I'd also want a flashlight for every person in the house in event of a shelter in place situation.

A small single cell edc light is a must I think, and I prefer having two. Today I was in a hurry to leave and forgot to grab my edc light. No big deal, because I still had my E05 on my keys. I do tend to prefer 1xAAA lights for this, though I'm thinking about getting something larger and more powerful for certain situations.

I do like to have a 2 cell light with more brightness, throw, and a momentary switch for general activities at night. This is so important for personal safety, even if it's just to keep cars aware of where you are so they don't hit you.

I think a small portable light that is more on the floody side is important to for lighting up areas where you are working. This could be your main single cell edc light, but a dedicated angle light, work light, or head lamp would do a better job.

dmattaponi likes this.
  5. Lateck

Lateck Loaded Pockets

I carry 4 and have 6 more in my truck... More in my other car and 10 or more at home.... I have around 30 total. But I am missing a couple :frantic::bounce:

But the original list is a good start ;)

Lateck,

6. dmattaponi

Definitely a good idea.

7. Appel

Appel Loaded Pockets

I suppose you could apply the well known "n+1 rule" on flashlights as well as many other things, where n is the number of flashlights you currently own...

8. dmattaponi

Some further comments...BATTERIES - over the course of the last year, I've transitioned to Eneloop rechargeable AA batteries for all of my current user flashlights. I've found this to be a very good change for me. I use my lights more freely now without worrying about using up the batteries, and always have a supply of charged batteries in stock. I have also bought a couple solar AA battery chargers in case of a longer power outage.

Low_Speed, david57strat and Water-Rat like this.
  9. david57strat

david57strat EDC Junkie!!!

18650 batteries comprise more than sixty per cent of what I use in single cell lights.

I have lots of batteries and chargers, but I definitely want to pick up some sort of solar charging set-up, before the year is out. We very rarely see power outages, here - and when we have them, they're usually very short-lasted; but I'd rather have something I may not need, than not have something that I could very well need, if the situation arises.

What I'd like is something capable of charging a half dozen or so 18650 or 26650 batteries, at 1 Amp/Hr, each.

Is that even possible?

dmattaponi likes this.
  10. dmattaponi

Sorry, I don't know the answer to your question. I just picked up a couple of small units that will each charge 4AA. The reverse is a solar panel. There wasn't much to choose from when I looked online.

david57strat likes this.
  11. turbo6

turbo6 Loaded Pockets

I typically rotate different lights here and there but usually I'll have:

* 6+ lights at home

* 1 light in my pocket

* 1 light on each set of keys

* 1 light in the glovebox or trunk of each car

* 1 headlamp either in the car or home

I think the biggest issue would likely be an extended power outage at home, which having multiple lights would be ideal.

A headlamp is absolutely a must when you need your hands free, every one should have one.

I'm considering a Fenix lantern as well as that would be a pretty versatile light that would fill a niche for me.

elad96, david57strat and dmattaponi like this.
  12. Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock Loaded Pockets

However many I "need" I seem to have purchased that amount and an extra 20 just to be safe.:bounce:

Rebel and dmattaponi like this.
  13. Cityus

Cityus Loaded Pockets

Just 1 more.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

14. eugenechia1989

eugenechia1989 Loaded Pockets

1. A 1x18650 or 2xCR123A light with around 1,000 lumens output and 200 metres throw distance.

2. A 1x14500 or 1xAA light as a backup.

3. A headlamp of any kind.

...and a backup of all three. So realistically for me, 6! But with so many different UIs out there, it's really difficult to say. Flashlights are like pocketknives. Just such a sea of variety out there.

dmattaponi likes this.
  15. Gary Gross

Gary Gross Loaded Pockets

I'm about 3 short at the moment. I counted 43 in my inventory with 1 more due to be delivered next week. But I digress... I have one on every keyring, 1 in every bag, 1 in every vehicle, about 15 in rotation for on-person carry and another 8 or 10 lanterns and/or various LED lamps for use in the home. I have more than enough...but I won't be without 1 when I need it. And I have lots of rechargeable batteries.

dmattaponi likes this.
  16. Ghostwalker54

Ghostwalker54 Loaded Pockets

I’m not sure how many I need but I’m sure of how many I have.

Sent from my government monitored "because they're really bored" iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

17. ZMZ67

ZMZ67 Loaded Pockets

Your list hits some of the main needs but I would probably expand it a little. Spares not withstanding, besides what was originally listed I have some other lights that I want on hand. I keep a couple lights in each car with at least one having a safety wand. For home lights at least a couple modest output,long running, reliable lights for basic interior lighting.I personally like ceiling bounce from a flashlight for this but it could include area lanterns. Probably at least two headlamps as well for home use. For BOBs or evac kits I want separate lights that reside with those kits so you have them for sure if you have to grab and go.
    Most of the lights I mention can be low cost,not necessarily as expensive as your main EDC or tactical light. Of course in my case I have "flashoholic" numbers on hand but even the average user should have some others to go along with the main three IMHO.

Low_Speed and dmattaponi like this.
  18. dmattaponi

Agreed, and I have since added a nice little headlamp to my battery of lights. I also keep separate lights in vehicles.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

ZMZ67 likes this.
  19. thatotherguy

thatotherguy EDC Junkie!!!!!

The only correct answer to this question is n+1.

Aleister, mizedog, ScottB and 2 others like this.
  20. elad96

elad96 Loaded Pockets

I have been told the Flashlight makes the Man.I just upgraded my Headlight to a Black Diamond.Took a while to get the headband adjusted.It works great for Truck Driving.Early AM start time.I carry three to work.Keychain Light,my old school AA Maglite and the Black Diamond.

Moshe ben David and dmattaponi like this.