1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

How Many Fixed Blades, Folders, Multitools, and Flashlights to Reach Complete Satisfaction

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Sharp Knife, Jul 30, 2016.

1. Sharp Knife

Sharp Knife Loaded Pockets

Can You even Define Complete Satisfaction?

Bwahaha!!!!!!!!

2. 313

313 Uber Prepared

How many?

N + 1

..where N is the amount you own at any given time.

3. smokingfish

smokingfish Loaded Pockets

2 multi tools and I was done.
    4 flashlights and was done.
    About 6 fixed blades, think I'm done.
    Around 10 folders, still going.

I guess I'm a knife guy more than the others. Still have about 13 more kitchen (work) knives I'm eye balling.

4. Sharp Knife

Sharp Knife Loaded Pockets

I laugh because it's hard to ever define what enough is. Just one more. Then, just one more.

5. adnj

adnj Loaded Pockets

Complete satisfaction comes when you stop counting. I believed that I would only keep a few and then sell off what I didn't carry. Then all the new stuff started to look like the stuff that I never got around to selling.

Dirty Rod likes this.
  6. chaosmagnet
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • Sponsor - Home Craftsman
    • In Omnia Paratus

chaosmagnet Loaded Pockets

I haven't bought a new fixie for...oh about a month. I've bought several in the last few months and I should probably stop. I use these rarely compared to folders, multis and flashlights.

The most recent folder purchase was about a year ago; I carry my favorite (a Ritter MiniGrip in S30V) about 90% of the time, and my "new" knife (a RitterGrip in M390 with orange scales) the rest of the time. I use them both a lot and they continue to work exceptionally well for me. In fact, I own the M390 version of the Ritter MiniGrip and have never carried it, as the S30V version has yet to displease me in any way.

My last multi purchase was after an airport security agent in Mexico saw my Style PS and wanted it for himself. Escaping Mexico for a grand total of $25 worth of official extortion sounded like a bargain to me. This year I bought a Signal and two used Rebars; one Rebar is in a kit and the other was sacrificed to a Rave mod that came out pretty well. Since the Rave I've been very happy with my fleet of multis...so I'm guessing around Christmas Leatherman will come out with something new that I have to have.

I think the most recent flashlight purchase was another Fenix HL50 headlamp for a kit. I love this headlamp for its performance, size, and cell-flexibility; it's just about the most perfect headlamp to throw in a kit.

My tendancy is go give away older flashlights (my middle daughter in particular will gleefully accept a flashlight as a reward for chores or good grades), and keep fixies, folders and multis pretty much forever.

7. dplafoll

dplafoll Loaded Pockets

My hobby is so focused on Spyderco folders that I don't think I'll ever be done with it.
    As for the rest, I am interested in a few smaller fixed blades, and not Spydies, but I don't have much actual need for a fixed blade compared to a folder so that's a low-want area. I think if I got a couple of good ones I'd be ok for a while.
    Flashlights are tricky. There are several I want but I've been so focused on the knives that I've been satisfied functionally with my one good EDC light. I do want another one as a backup and second option.
    I want some MTs but what I have is adequate.

The good news is I'm done with knives for the year barring something crazy so I might be able to scratch the minor itches a little bit.

8. SOS24

SOS24 Loaded Pockets

I don't think the number exists. The problem I find is I want them to perfectly fill my needs but can't usually find the one that is exactly what I want so I buy the closest one until I find on closer. Or I buy what I think is the perfect one but after using it discover that there are one or two things that could be better. In EDC I find achieving complete satisfaction even more of a challenge because I'm trying to achieve just the right balance in size/weight to utility which often becomes a compromise.

Moshe ben David and Tallboyjim like this.
  9. Brynoceros

Brynoceros Loaded Pockets

I dont know how many knives (fixed or folders), flashlights, multitools I own. I suppose I could count them but I have never thought to. I look at all the awesome EDC items on here and always find something new I would like. Then I go to a could different websites and add them to my wish list and a couple others I like while looking for the ones I originally wanted to find. Its such a vicious cycle! If I could have one of everything then I would probably want two! In all seriousness I think an amount is a personal amount that you will reach. Just never know when that is till you get there.

I also find I go in cycles with what I would like. Zippos today. Flashlight tomorrow. Knife next week. Multitool a month from now. Handgun 6 months. Start over.

Just enjoy the art of EDC and see where it takes you my friend!

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk