1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

how many extra mags?

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by feesix, Oct 8, 2010.

1. xxForceTenxx

xxForceTenxx Loaded Pockets

Good going on the numbers. As Jon stated, I think it varies. I generally only carry one extra. But, with my EDC bag, it can be as many as three. Just depends on if I'm carrying on(I/OWB holster) or off(In bag, etc) person.

2. Wolvee

Wolvee Loaded Pockets

I ended up going with the G26. :0)

3. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

No problem. Posting right now is expensive for me but I need people to know I still exist too.

I quoted myself to explain why second gun gets the nod before I figure out how to carry the reload. It is not for the more common reasons but many reasons.is

Some of this is bias from my shooting, some of this is from things I do know, some of things that seem to make sense to me so this is not perfect by used to make me feel better.

If I am in an urban area or moving back and for from urban to rural I would have an autoloader is my primary. If in the middle of the boonies where a road cannot be seen for miles I prefer 6-inch barreled revolver for sight radius as the primary and an auto loader as the secondary but that is a different subject.

After thinking about my shooting I saw that one innocent by stander could have taken out one of the criminals as they where at almost contact distance and the by stander had his hands in his jacket pocket. Had there been an internal hammered revolver he was almost assured of a hit though it would have ruined his coat. That is reason #1 These are not in the order of importance. A internal hammer revolver will shoot through a jacket pocket if need be. When wearing a jacket I actually carried a pair of 442s but if I was only carrying one it would be in the left pocket so I could more easily try to access what is behind the right hip after the shots if needed.

#2 After my shooting an unfounded rumer started going around that some people where going to come looking for me out of revenge, it never happened. A deputy told it was not going to happen as now they think I am a shooter who is willing to shoot. Well when I would come home there is no light and I had to walk between two large shrubs and a tiny brick court yard, at those points everything is contact distance. When things are at contact distance I trust a revolver a little bit more than an autoloader so during my paranoia I carried three guns. The one I had in my hand when going past the shrubs and clearing the courtyard was a 3 inch M-60 .357 since anything that happened would be very very close. In my left pants pocket would be a 640 (steel in pants pocket does not seem as heavy as an airweight in a jacket pocket to me so in pants pockets so I accept the added weight. Behind the right hip is the autoloader.

I want a revolver available if things become a wrestling match for the gun.

#3 I have tried getting a pocket pistol out of a pocket of a pair of jeans and just cannot do it. The revolver is easy, the hook shaped grip is easy to get to, the pocket auto makes me dig too deeply into the pocket. If others can pull it off that is good, I can't. The revoler is pants pockets works for me.

#4 I have realised there are times when it is very hard to reach the gun behind my right hip, sometimes almost impossible. There are times it is easier to draw a gun from the left side and hand it over to the right hand.

#5 Hands are often times targets not only for projectiles but strikes or grabs as well. If someone is trying to wrestle the the primary away from me I can make a choice. Try and wrestle to keep control of it, it helps that I was a college wrestler once but I am getting old now. Another option is I can access the left side gun if I am losing control of the primary. This is contact distance so I prefer the revolver.

#6 If the right hand is injured a left hand accessible gun is helpful, the revolver might not be idea for all cases like this but I have it already for other reasons anyway.

#7 Since I already have the left side revolver I already have a backup even if it is not the best choice in some cases. If for some reason the primary is out of action but the right hand is ok I can draw the left side revolver and move it to the right. My New York reload is a hand off from left hand to right hand. It might be a bit slower but I already have it for other purposes.

The small revolver has some advantages over an auto loader, the auto loader has advantages oer the revolver. They are different animals with a big overlap where they both can do the same thing. It is like a venn diagram.

I figure I am better off with both an autoloader and revolver than an autoloader and a reload. When I could In the summer there would be a 640 in the front left pocket, an auto loader behind the right hip and a spare magazine behind the left hip. In the fall and winter it was sometimes a pair of 442's in the right and left jacket pockets and an autoloader behind the right hip.

In rural settings and I didn't plan on going into town it might be different. If it was a lot of open ground it was a 6-inch barreled revolver (M-19) and if I was not carrying a lot of gear an autoloader. When doing things in the rural areas that involved carrying a huge amount of gear I would have think really hard on what I could carry.

Back before I had ever heard of a forum and had money I at one time or another had most of the guns that where available. My users become an M-17 and an M-19. When I would go hangun hunting the M-17 was for rabbit and squirrles while the M-19 was for just in case. If I was deer hunting then it would be the M-19 and a service class auto unless I was hunting with a rifle.

The autoloader eventually after going through a ton of different autoloaders was some custom built Tanfoglios in 9x23 and .45 acp or a CZ-75. In my shooting I was carrying a Sig 226.

My small revolvers where a 3-inch customized M-60, a 640, and a pair of airweights. I gave up on small auto loaders.

During my paranoid period I would frequently carry 4 revolvers and an auto loader and a couple of times 5 revolvers, I grew out of this pretty quickly as it interfered with life way too much and was not practical. The heaviest I was loaded during that time was a long slide Custom Tanfoglio in 9x23 or .45 ACP strong side and the M-60 custom in .357 right behind it for contact distance. On the weak side a 640 in the left pocket and a spare magazine for the Tanfog. In the jacket pockets was a pair of Airweights both right and left. Then I had a 6-inch M-19 in a shoulder rig though It didn't have a specific job or senario assigned to it. I finally became a two gun person full time unless I could not be one.

It is my opinion on advantages and disadvantages, when the range becomes longer than you should use a handgun at sight radius makes the job much eaiser. I aslo think for hunting the revolver is better though there are those that successfully hunt with auto loaders.

At middle ranges the auto has some undeniable advantages but I think the revolver points quicker it is not by much, reload is certainly faster with the autoloader and felt recoil for the power level is less.

At contact distance I pick the revolver, anything touching the slide of a autoload can be a problem even a shirt sleeve.

To me the spare magazine comes after having a revolver for the left side.

Ok, I have to get back to work now.

4. xxForceTenxx

xxForceTenxx Loaded Pockets

Very, very interesting and a lot of thought given to it.

Thanks again for the response, Jon.

5. Flight-ER-Doc

Flight-ER-Doc Loaded Pockets

I always carry at least one (for magazine failures, if nothing else). Occasionally I'll carry two - if I feel I need more than that, why am I going there?

6. FryerJF

FryerJF Loaded Pockets

14+1 Glock 19 with 14 in a spare mag.

7. 1ofmany

1ofmany Loaded Pockets

On duty, a Glock 23 with 2-3 (13 round) spare mags.

Off duty, a Glock 27, with 0-2 (11 round) spare mags.

Obviously, how many mags I carry depends on the situation.

8. Nexttime

Nexttime Loaded Pockets

Well, normally I carry one spare for the primary and one for the backup CCW. But when at an IDPA or IPSC event I carry quite a few more. :)

9. LivingUpNorth

LivingUpNorth Loaded Pockets

+1!

Other than going to a shooting range, I rarely carry more than one extra. If 27 total rounds of .45 can't stop the threat, or at least get me to where I can retreat, I'm hosed anyway.

10. Trvlngnrs

Trvlngnrs Loaded Pockets

I carry one in the gun and a backup. You never know when you will have a type 3 malfunction that requires stripping the mag out.

Sometimes badguys run in packs, and you might want to do a tactical reload.

11. Nexttime

Nexttime Loaded Pockets

Reloading under pressure is an important skill and often overlooked. I always recommend a basic safety course for people new to concealed carry. Then range time to get shooting stances and a proper grip for their carry gun. Then reloading on the fly along with malfunction drills. Basic skills are worth the range time. Just my opinion of course. :)

12. Waterborne

Waterborne Loaded Pockets

+1

I always carry at least one spare mag with me. I keep at least one mag in my truck as well.

13. Japeatr

Japeatr Loaded Pockets

How many of you rotate your mags and ammo for reliability???

14. whitefeather010

whitefeather010 Loaded Pockets

Just a quick response from a guy who's actually been in a firefight. When you're in that situation you'll wish you had a freakin armory behind you. In addition, people tend to not shoot as well during a firefight as they do at the range (I know ridiculous right?) so, you'll want more ammo. anyhoo, one time I saw 10 guys shooting at an oncoming truck, a big truck too, like a panel type truck. M-16's, M 249's, and a .50 cal. There was something like 214 rounds expended during a few seconds..... only about 15 actually hit the vehicle. This was close range 30-40 meters. These were trained soldiers. It just goes to show you how stressful situations affect your shooting. I carry a Glock 19 w/ 2 spare mags (thats 3 mags) everyhere I go.

15. LivingUpNorth

LivingUpNorth Loaded Pockets

I rotate mags once every week or two weeks. Every couple months, I shoot my carry ammo and replenish with a new box. I don't know if it actually makes a difference, but it makes me feel better.

16. ChrisJ

ChrisJ Loaded Pockets

I switch mine out every other payday (about once a month)

17. Japeatr

Japeatr Loaded Pockets

this is about my regimine, unless i am carrying more that one at a time...

18. Treedog

Treedog Empty Pockets

Always 2 extra mags.

19. fire65

fire65 Loaded Pockets

I have 5 mags per pistol. Usually only 3 are kept loaded so 2 get rotated. If I carry extra it is just one mag, and not all the time.

20. saniterra

saniterra Loaded Pockets

I have at least 5 spare mags or speedloaders for every handgun I own, except for my Taurus model 94 (at .22, it's just too hard to load). I generally carry 2 extra mags, speed loaders or strips for my Keltec P11, Sig P226 & 229, H&K .45 USP Elite, Ruger GP-100 or S&W 629. The weapons themselves always have a full load an one in the chamber. If I have a bag or am backpacking, my extra mags, etc., (beyond the normal 2) ride in the bag.