1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

How many batteries do you keep on hand to meet your flashlight needs?

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by dmattaponi, Mar 5, 2016.

1. skycaptain

skycaptain Loaded Pockets

Little over 100 CR123's and about 50 AA's. 12 rechargeable AA's and 4 rcr123's. Bulk buying is cheaper.

Strayz, dmattaponi and Mumbojumboo like this.
  2. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Mumbojumboo EDC Junkie!!!!!

How will the 123s last in storage?

3. skycaptain

skycaptain Loaded Pockets

With the number of CR123 lights I have, some very bright ones that eat batteries, 100 will last me 6-8 months, that is why I have started investing in RCR123's.

However, I have some at least a year old that test out at 100 percent, they are probably slightly less.

Mumbojumboo likes this.
  4. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Mumbojumboo EDC Junkie!!!!!

I went straight to R....but now... I'm a recharging factory. Kinda wish I stuck with AA but ...it's too late for me.

5. Knightrock
    • In Omnia Paratus

Knightrock EDC Junkie!!!!!

5 CR123s, 12 AA's and 10 AAA.

dmattaponi likes this.
  6. FuriousGOP

FuriousGOP Empty Pockets

10 or so...
    CR123's, AA's, AAA's and a CR2.

dmattaponi likes this.
  7. Welfare

Welfare Loaded Pockets

I normally carry 4 123s in a Storacell holder in the upper arm pocket of my fleece. I think you should feel happy getting through the night if needed.

8. Tusk

Tusk Loaded Pockets

Bobrip wrote:
    "For those who depend on rechargeable batteries during power out conditions, how do you plan to charge this batteries. I have USB solar panel and 3 generators. I told like to power up a generator just to charge batteries because of gas consumption. Gas becomes very precious when roads are blocked or power is down. "

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Overkill... just enough.

ZMZ67, dmattaponi and steeps like this.
  9. RAMBOCAT

RAMBOCAT Loaded Pockets

100 AA, 100 AAA, 60 CR 123, 40 CR 2032 AND 60 RECHARGEABLE AA WITH A SOLAR CHARGER. This is my min load out. I constantly rotate my stock; so actual on hand varies.

twin63 and dmattaponi like this.
  10. TKC

TKC Loaded Pockets

I keep keep about 12-20 CR123's on hand.

dmattaponi likes this.
  11. dmattaponi

dmattaponi Loaded Pockets

AA Rechargeable

#32 Eneloop
    #16 Eneloop Pro

Began using these in March, and am completely satisfied with my decision to switch to AA format and rechargeable. Our flashlights get used often, and without worry about conserving more expensive, and harder to find battery types. My wife and kids use them regularly also. No complaints, and there is always a battery when they need one. My wife probably uses her TN4A the most, and for whatever reason she likes the high setting...she lets me know when she needs her batteries switched out and charged.

Last edited by dmattaponi, Oct 20, 2016
    twin63 likes this.
  12. Lateck

Lateck Loaded Pockets

I keep at least 1 back up 18650, 26650 and rechargeable batteries for each light.
    Plus a number of AA, AAA eneloops. I also have a number of primary AAA, AA, C, D & 123's. More then enough for my lights that use those sizes.
    The same for what I carry in my cars.

Lateck,

dmattaponi likes this.
  13. ZMZ67

ZMZ67 Loaded Pockets

Not really sure about the totals but quite a few CR123s and some lithium and eneloop AAs and AAAs. Generally I always think I need more than I have so I always buy before my supply gets very low.

dmattaponi likes this.
  14. Moco

Moco Loaded Pockets

in my EDC bag enough batteries for 1 or 2 battery changes, for me thats AA*2 which is 2 changes for my primary and 2* cr123a which is one change for my SF g2z

15. turbo6

turbo6 Loaded Pockets

About 5 flashlights, all AA powered with maybe about 10 Eneloops to spare.

I suppose one day I'll pick up some modern cells, but it's pretty streamlined now and easy to manage.

dmattaponi likes this.
  16. Strayz

Strayz Loaded Pockets

and here is where I become very self couscous.
    AA 4x Costco bulk packs. + 1 opened ~half full.
    AAA x2 Costco Bilk Packs +1 opened.
    4x D Costco bulk packs
    2x C Costco bulk packs.
    2x 9V "
    28, 18650's
    60, Cr2's
    32, CR123's

We buy in bulk to help, but everything is spendy in Alaska. PS it gets really dark up here. I have been thinking about trying to reduce the amount of battery types need around the house but having a Kiddo and smoke alarms, optics for firearms ect... it all adds up.

TO answer the Q about how long CR123's last. It says on the package is 10~ years new in box. Not sure how rechargeables handle cold storage. Or even Supper cold storage... LOL

dmattaponi likes this.
  17. Maave

Maave Loaded Pockets

Less than 20, just a mix of AA and AAA in a little plastic jar. At least 4 of em are Eneloop Pro, two more are another decent rechargeable, and the rest are cheap chinese crap that were free from work. I don't carry any spares - I use my light almost daily but rarely more than a few seconds at a time so it lasts for ages.

dmattaponi likes this.
  18. The Sixth Beatle

The Sixth Beatle Loaded Pockets

Before my dear old Mum died, she started hoarding batteries. She was a bit deaf so she used headphones for her TV which ran on a single AAA. Every time someone went to see her she would get them to pop to the shop next door to pick her up some. I realised so I used to get a pack out of the drawer and say "here, I got you some" and put them back (she was made up with that).
    What I didn't know was that the battery drawer that had several packs of AAA (and AA because she couldn't remember which ones it took) was actually the overflow drawer and that there was another drawer in her bedroom with dozens of packs of both.
    When we came to clear her place out we found them. That was in 2012 and I've not bought any AA/AAA since (apart from eneloops which I'm moving to as the throwaways run out).