1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

How many are "Clunkers?"

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by Pyromaniac96, Mar 12, 2010.

1. Pyromaniac96

Pyromaniac96 Empty Pockets

We all know who we are. We're at the pool, walking around town, going for a check-up, or are just going to sleep. Your friends, girlfriends, wives, etc... roll their eyes when they hear your call. You are easily recognizable for the clunk of your gear. When stripping down, it is as if a tower of Maglights came toppling down onto a hardwood flooring. :clunk: :clunk: :clunk:.

Really though, I've gotten rolled eyes and even the occasional complaint when going to bed and emptying my pockets/belt into a bucket. I notice it now, and it is pretty audible. So, who else can be heard going to bed (or just walking) by the distinct "clunk?"

EDIT: Edited to be more general/descriptive

2. saniterra

saniterra Loaded Pockets

I prefer muffled metalic clatter.

3. Mister Scribble

Mister Scribble Loaded Pockets

I've got so much stuff in my pockets and on my belt that I now have to wear suspenders
    so my pants don't fall down and scare the horses.

...not that I sleep with horses, mind you. I don't. And this is a Family-Friendly Board.

Just so you know.

But I'm beginning to get odd looks when I can produce a Tool for Every Need
    out of my pockets.

4. spyguy

spyguy Loaded Pockets

oh I can relate to that I have hardwood floors in my bedroom....

5. Krustofski

Krustofski Loaded Pockets

Nah, I'm a pretty minimalist EDCer. I can put away a clock, a wallet, a phone, a SAK and a pen rather quietly.

My girl is the clunker. This morning around 3:00 she came directly from work. I never know she carries that much stuff on the job, even when not in uniform. *clunk* watch *clunk* cellphone *clunk* pepper spray *clunk* flashlight *clunk* SAK... it was going on for, like, 2 minutes. ;D

6. rueingeni

rueingeni Loaded Pockets

Nah I'm not a clunker, if you saw me you wouldn't think I was an EDCer haha. I'm pretty minimalistic.

7. Boy SureFire

Boy SureFire May The Bridges I Burn Light The Way

A clack/beep to unholster my c-phone for charging, & Velcro rip to free the Endura out of my cargo pants for night stand duty...The bat belt stays with the pants which are put on the floor next to my bed. Generally my cargo pants now days contain 2 folders, 1 LM PST MT, 3 lights, house keys, tac pen, wallet, & 5 holsters, so there's never a dropping of pants (that much stuff would damage whatever it hit).

If I'm ever going catch me an intruder squeaking floors won't be good for my health, so I practice silent sneaking/walking around the house/yard (with weapon & light on hand) should said skill be needed. I can make to the front door armed to go, and still make less noise then a cat. Three tips for wood flooring are to slide your feet with socks on, or walk closer to the wall since those boards are less likely to squeak. If you've got bare wood use baby powder on the suspect section of floor (during the day sprinkle baby powder on the joints, and rub the powder in for a quieter night walk). If you're really looking to cut noise switch the EDC bucket to a tray, and or use foam as liner to help silence the clatter. I could go on, but the list just gets more OCD.

8. P35

P35 Loaded Pockets

i get a clunk from time to time, from my pistol butt, when sitting down in cafe booths

9. herbicide

herbicide Loaded Pockets

Wallet, phone, keyring (not as bad as it once was, but still big), SAK/Multitool, torch and pocketknife.

So, yes, I definitely go clunk.

10. jda

jda Loaded Pockets

lets see
    quark 123 tactical
    aa^2 body
    gloves
    zt 0302
    rat rc3
    sog power assist
    keys
    phone

clunk yup

11. Rawls

Rawls Loaded Pockets

I follow the one item per pocket rule, both for quiet and to keep my stuff in good shape. I have a light in the coin pocket, a blade clipped to the right pocket, a wallet in the back right, and my cell phone in my jacket pocket. No noise.

12. morrowsmowers

morrowsmowers Empty Pockets

I'm more of a rip/clunk -- opening velcro pockets and then taking the items out and putting them on my dresser -- takes a few minutes but at least I know where each item is when I need it -- the Mrs. says the noises are very annoying to her.

13. Pyromaniac96

Pyromaniac96 Empty Pockets

Erm... Is that a joke? Like referencing how little people don't like the term "midget?" Sorry, can't seem to get a cognitive response from my brain right now.

14. NAdams65

NAdams65 Empty Pockets

I heard the Government will give you money if you're a clunker.

15. Getahl

Getahl Loaded Pockets

Heh, that made me chuckle. I'm not a clunker, but my wife does claim I am loud at night. She says I'm pretty loud when I come in after class at night. My current EDC is a wallet, cellphone, watch, and a keychain with a Micra and space pen on it. I'd add my Swiss Hiker, but I can't bring knives into work.