1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

How long to break in a Leatherman Surge

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by troutnut, Mar 17, 2016.

1. troutnut

troutnut Loaded Pockets

I just got a Surge, the knife is scary sharp! How long does it take to break in the pivot points? Mine are pretty stiff, especially the pliers.

2. chaosmagnet
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

chaosmagnet Loaded Pockets

It varies. Some new LM multis seem a bit stiff to me, and just need lubrication and a few "jobs" to do until they feel right. Others come from the factory too tight and need judicious loosening of the pivots. This is easy to do with a Surge if you have two of the appropriate Security Torx bits. Back off the tension just a little bit at a time until you're happy with it.

AlgoOPC likes this.
  3. znapschatz

znapschatz Loaded Pockets

Hard to say how long. It varies a lot. Over years I have had several Leatherman multi-tools, including a Surge, and most of them required a break-in period consisting of regular use, but none needed to be adjusted beyond that. For me, the break-in period would last from as little as one job to as long as two weeks. My Surge sample adjusted so quickly that I don't even remember when the transition happened. OTOH, I had Super Tool 300 that needed a little help from a few drops of oil and a week of daily use, and another that needed no break-in at all.
    Frankly, I've always enjoyed the process. For the reluctant ones, I would sit before the TV in an evening and just work the thing until either it started to behave or the wife got annoyed.
    Once broke in, I never had a lick of trouble out of any of them -- at least, nothing that wasn't my fault. :oops:

4. Warfusion
    • In Omnia Paratus

Warfusion Loaded Pockets

I've had two so far and the first one only took about a week or two of constant use. But the one I have now for the past few months still works a little tight as new. I think that is partially because I would clean my original one often and have yet to do any maintenance on my new one. Try some oil or wd-40 it should ease up after a while.

5. chaosmagnet
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

chaosmagnet Loaded Pockets

I like WD-40 for displacing water (its original purpose), penetrating fasteners that are rusted or otherwise frozen in place, and for cleaning metal objects that are dirty. For lubrication it leaves something to be desired. On a stiff Leatherman Surge that (for whatever reason) you don't choose to loosen the pivots slightly, I'd suggest Tuff Glide, Breakfree CLP, or regular 3-in-1 oil, in my order of preference.

Warfusion likes this.
  6. TheInsideOutsider

TheInsideOutsider Loaded Pockets

Mine didn't really need much breaking in. Not as smooth out of the box as my Skeletool cx, but not bad. That said I did put a dab of mineral oil on the pivots and that made things a bit better.