1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

How long have you been carrying?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by ripjack13, Jan 21, 2016.

1. T3no

T3no Empty Pockets

Me too, about 10 years old started, now at 41.
    I have a tendency to carry the same knife, now turned to a SAK Huntsman, and feel rare...
    Carried an Alox Farmer since 2008!

Enviado desde mi G620S-L03 mediante Tapatalk

2. Uncle Zungle

Uncle Zungle Loaded Pockets

I got my first knife in '72 at 8 years old and have been carrying ever since. It was one of those blue handled Cub Scout knives. I loved that thing and carried it (and other knives) till I broke it. There have been hundreds of other knives over those decades as well.

ripjack13, Sharaz_Jek and Dorian like this.
  3. Sriracha

Sriracha Loaded Pockets

I had knives since about 7. Used to have a little 1 inch lock back in a stiletto style that was dulled, for me to carve blocks of Ivory soap in my grandma's basement. That was removed from my possession when not soap carving. Had a large Scharade kickback with an etched blade, with a wicked edge. Lost that in boy scouts. First true EDC was I believe a Spyderco Worker. Maybe 1987-1990? Then a Spyderco Hunter. Then a long blur of almost every mass production knives made in the last 2 decades. Fixed blades, balisongs, kukri, American, German, Japanese, Pakistani and Chinese. I used and abused them all.

And now... I carry a SAK and a Clipit. Dad always said "Always carry your Clipit!". Full circle.

4. CanvasNBrass

CanvasNBrass Loaded Pockets

Since I was around 7. First was a Imperial Kamp King and later that year an Old Timer stockman.

ripjack13 and Sharaz_Jek like this.
  5. PBJS II

PBJS II Loaded Pockets

I think I was about 16 when I started. Had a plastic handled Gerber lock back. Lost it about 2 years later. Don't remember much until about 30 when I had a few decent knives. Really got heavy into it when I was an OTR trucker. Got to visit SMKW a couple times and some really good Flea markets!

ripjack13, QuodErat and Sharaz_Jek like this.
  6. clutchjunkie

clutchjunkie Loaded Pockets

I got my first knife around 11-12 when I started in boy scouts, it was a cheapy that had a clip point blade, can opener, and a spoon and fork. I carried it anytime I wasn't at school as that was the 80's when they were starting to crack down on that sort of thing. I got a Chinese ko keychain SAK right at the end of high school that I always carried until it fell apart after a few years.

I always had a knife as a part of a multitool after high school, but until a few years ago I didn't carry a dedicated knife because that's when I discovered the good stuff. The blades on my old Gerber and leatherman were good enough to get me through about 15 years or so.

ripjack13 and Sharaz_Jek like this.
  7. Sharaz_Jek

Sharaz_Jek Loaded Pockets

I wanted one from a young age from watching MacGuyver so that was since I was about 10... Old enough to join Cub Scouts anyway. I had the traditional cub scout knife with the blue scales. Don't know what ever happened to it and then I had a very cheaply made SAK copy. On my 12th birthday, I got a Victorinox Huntsman. I loved that knife. It helped build many a fort in the woods behind the house. One of them is still standing.

I too carried in school. Technically it was against the rules per the student handbook but it was never enforced. The vo-tech guys all had knives on their belts. I carried my Huntsman in my pocket. It came in handy in art class since there were only so many X-Acto knives to go around. I graduated in 97 and that was only a year or two before Columbine. That's when things started to change for the worse. I would even go so far as to say, it was when the country as a whole started on a downhill spiral and we'll never get back to where we were so far as individual liberties.

Last edited by Sharaz_Jek, Jan 24, 2016
    ripjack13 likes this.
  8. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Best I can remember was in college in the early 70's. Picked up what I later learned was a medium sized stockman at Sears; had the Craftsman name on it. Had it for years and carried it regularly. Sometime in the last 5 years or so it disappeared into the big black hole of my garage... but now I have enough choices to change every week and not repeat myself for a few months! :cool: Guess I used that first one for about 44 years or so.

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

ripjack13, QuodErat and Sharaz_Jek like this.
  9. Bulldog87

Bulldog87 Loaded Pockets

I got mine while in scouts. Maybe 8-10 years old if I had to guess. I'm a bit younger than you fellas from the JFK and Eisenhower eras though. I'd say George Bush the elder was still working.

First knives were cheap SAK copies from my dad's office but first real knife was a folder dad bought me at the local hardware store. I wish I knew what happened to that thing!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

ripjack13 likes this.
  10. Larry Larson

Larry Larson Loaded Pockets

I too received my first knife from my dad, It was a unknown Case XXX 2 or 3 blade model (long lost) and I too grew up in the 60's-70's and it seems another commonality, many of us were in Scouts, Boy or Girl Scouts. I was also in 4H for several years.
    Back during those decades, every adult male carried a knife of some sort. A tradition passed down from our grandparents and their parents and a tradition I have passed on to my son and daughters. My wife doesn't normally carry one but she does keep a small folding knife in her night-stand drawer.

ripjack13 likes this.
  11. RAMBOCAT

RAMBOCAT Loaded Pockets

60 years. Got my first pocket knife when I was five. It was a "Hopalong Cassidy Buckaroo". My Dad died that summer and as he gave it to me I was never without it. Now I am totally fascinated with knives; and have way too many. The movie that cemented things for me was "Heaven Knows Mr. Allison". It showed me that you could survive with just a good knife. Well I have rambled on way too long . Please accept my apologies.

tde and ripjack13 like this.
  12. Larry Larson

Larry Larson Loaded Pockets

I do not think any apology is needed, especially remembering the person that introduced you to the love of a sharp blade. Part of my EDC is a Buck 319 slipjoint that I originally purchased for my father when I was about 14 years old, he gave it back to me just weeks before he passed away.

ripjack13 and RAMBOCAT like this.
  13. tde

tde Loaded Pockets

Since the old guys are chiming in:

Remember the old Bazooka Bubble Gum? Each one-cent piece came with a Bazooka Joe comic. One could save the comics and send them, and a small fee...maybe a dollar, to Bazooka in exchange for certain toys. While I don't remember how many comics it cost me, a hundred or so, I bought my first fixed-blade that way in 1956. Still have that knife. The leather sheath is aged (as am I), and the handle is wrapped in electrical tape, but the blade still holds an edge!

And while I've always had a pocket knife or two nearby, I never consistently carried a decent knife until about a year ago when I found this forum. I've been in deep since then...and for well more than a dollar! :)

tde

AV8R and ripjack13 like this.
  14. Jerryd6818

Jerryd6818 Empty Pockets

65 years. The summer I turned six, I had six pocket knives. All were cheap shell knives and gumball machine knives but at that age, none of that mattered. All that was important was, I had them. Carried a knife ever since.

During the 4th and 5th grade we would play marbles in the school yard during recess and a game with our pocket knives we called "stretch". With their feet together, two boys would start the game facing each other maybe three or four feet apart. You would take turns sticking your knife in the dirt and your opponent would have to move one of his feet to touch the knife you had just stuck in the ground. Then it was his turn. The one who stuck his knife out of reach of his opponent, won.

AV8R, FK and ripjack13 like this.
  15. Telstar

Telstar Loaded Pockets

My Pops gave me a old folding sailor knife that back when I was in 5th grade.. it looked like it was made from a tin can. I think they call it a rigging knife or yachtsman knife now a days. I have always had a knife in my pocket every day since then.

ripjack13 likes this.
  16. Grumpy521

Grumpy521 Loaded Pockets

2nd grade 1976. Also a Barlow and I still have it minus the tip and one scale.

Sent from my LGLS665 using Tapatalk

ripjack13 likes this.
  17. Jonb74

Jonb74 Loaded Pockets

I got this one when I was in 4th/5th grade (somewhere in there) from my grandparents along with a set of sharpening stones. I grew up in Montana so having a small pocket knife was very common (lots of farm kids). It went everywhere with me from scout camps to everyday adventuring. I carried it in HS, college and beyond. Now it sits in my drawer and I carry a CRKT M-16 most days along with a SAK Classic. But this one is the only knife I own that has sentimental value and I don't want to lose it.

[​IMG]

18. Nick4305
    • In Omnia Paratus

Nick4305 EDC Junkie!!!!!

My Grandfather gave me a personal cheap tiny blade while we went fishing for the first time, when i was 6 yo.
    so i think about... 48 years ago.

ripjack13 likes this.
  19. ColdZero

ColdZero Empty Pockets

Since I was 6-7 years old..I used to go rock pool fishing nearly every single day in the warmer months...there seemed to be a lot more back then.
    I grew up living 500 yards from a beach so a little lock back folder was a necessity. so maybe 40 years !

ripjack13 likes this.
  20. FK

FK Loaded Pockets

Grammar school,,, 3rd grade,,, all the boys had a pocket knife.

Remember the game "stretch" very well,,,, if you were over one hand width away from your opponents foot it did not count.
    Never saw anyone stick it in a sneaker. First one to fall over,,, lost.

Regards,
    FK

ripjack13 likes this.