1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

How is everyone doing with the COVID-19 (Novel Coronavirus) situation?

Discussion in 'The Breakroom' started by kikaida, Mar 23, 2020.

1. Spuggy

Spuggy Loaded Pockets

I'm on day 3 of isolation after developing a cough, etc.
    NHS 111 website says I need to stay home for 7 days, and the family for 14 days. I wasn't popular (although not my fault), but luckily Boris stepped in and locked down the whole country anyway!
    I can't work from home, but already looking forward to going back in on Sunday!

2. Tallboyjim

Tallboyjim Loaded Pockets

This where we are going wrong. I had a little, very occasional, phlegmy cough and sniffles. It’s a cold. But I’m self isolating, as are many others because we don’t know what we’ve got because we aren’t testing enough.

loneslinger likes this.
  3. A.B.

A.B. Loaded Pockets

Here in Holland we are going for a "mass immunity" strategy. Aka the ones that get really sick are screwed and the rest just need to suck it up. Guess it's the Dutch way. Don't know if it's smart, but that's the way it is. My family members are still healthy and the wife and I are still working. So far, so good...

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G950F met Tapatalk

4. ThaMac

ThaMac Loaded Pockets

You can, and I assume will, do what you know. Was your hands the proper way, don’t touch your face, and you can practice social distancing. Only history will tell what was best.

Sent from my Glade Air Freshener

5. Loadout

Loadout Loaded Pockets

We are going into a 3 week lockdown starting Thursday. Will see how it pans out.

6. A.B.

A.B. Loaded Pockets

Yeah, that's not gonna work with what I do for a living. I work in construction. Social distancing and super hygiene is not really an option, sad to say. And my wife's job is to care for disabled people so no luck there either.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G950F met Tapatalk

7. rdisom

rdisom Loaded Pockets

I run the equipment maintenance shop for a city in California. We have not and will not slow down at all. Police, Fire, Transit, Refuse and almost every other department is running full bore as any other time. The only department that is able to send people home is Parks & Leisure, due to all activities being canceled. A few people in Finance, Engineering, and Community Development are able to work from home or rotate from week to week.

8. Diezel

Diezel Loaded Pockets

It is hard work but I love it, been doing it for 22 years. It's a little cold outside but our shop is always warm. It's a state of the art facility as there are no other shops like it in the world. All our buses are parked, fulled and repaired inside. I don't have to work outside, the only time I go outside is to drive the bus from where its parked to my hoist. The shop/bus barn makes it one of the largest square foot places in Calgary. Lots of space between where each of us work for the social distancing part. There are about 18 of us on day shift and 15 on afternoons.

That Movie Guy likes this.
  9. ThaMac

ThaMac Loaded Pockets

Guys, I know my job is boring and often I curse it for that. I’d wanna be doing something where there is a physical product involved. Not that kind of paper pushing, bit efing one I have.
    Maybe, just maybe, I should but be thankful for that it is how it is. Anyway, let’s see how long the company can weather the storm, before I get the boot. On the other hand, just today I had the first meetings with two new clients of reasonable size.

Moshe ben David likes this.
  10. ThaMac

ThaMac Loaded Pockets

It’s not about “super hygiene”. The virus penetrates through the mucous membranes, not regular skin. Yes I know,it’s easier said than done, but try to not touch your face. Take a piece of soap with you in a good old fashioned soap dish and wash your hands at least before eating and immediately when you come home. We all can only do our best, whatever that may be. God speed, dear Sir!

Moshe ben David likes this.
  11. Spuggy

Spuggy Loaded Pockets

I'm sure mine is just a cold too, but like you say 'we don't know what we've got'. We also hear on the TV that most of us that get it will only have 'minor' symptoms. I can't risk taking anything into work and passing it on, it would cause no end of aggravation!

12. Tallboyjim

Tallboyjim Loaded Pockets

I know staying in is the very best thing we can do but you do feel helpless sometimes.

Spuggy likes this.
  13. Enemy Combatant

Enemy Combatant Loaded Pockets

So far, so good. But being a pessimist doesn't help at all. Probably venturing out tomorrow to top off our supply.

Stay safe out there, gentlemen. Good luck.

PragmaticMurphyist and A.B. like this.
  14. J_C
    • In Omnia Paratus

J_C Loaded Pockets

I am working from home. At the present, I still have a job, and one that does allow me to work effectively from home. However, layoffs have begun at my company and I have no idea how long I will still be employed. On the plus side, I am also still alive.

aicolainen likes this.
  15. ran23
    • In Omnia Paratus

ran23 Loaded Pockets

I retired from Fire Alarm Inspections and occasional Security Alarm Service. bet those jobs are still working. and I have had to wear a face mask for 8 hours a day.

16. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

I was in NYC from Wed thru Sun am of past week... loaded up car and moved my wife and her work stuff back down to Virginia. Set up home 'office' for her... Fortunately at this time Northern Virginia is not heavily impacted. Note I did say 'at this time'!

We're striving to do a 21 day self quarantine to be on the safe side. For the most part I think we have enough food in the house. Internet has been upgraded to handle larger load... I am sure we'll have to venture out for Rx refills or something like that. Plus to buy the necessary foods for Pesach which starts sundown April 8!!!

Biggest challenge will be to see how well the two of us can re-acclimate to being in the same house again after many years not doing so.

All I can do is repeatedly recite the ancient Chinese curse: "May you live in interesting times..." !! Wish us luck...

Am Yisrael Chai!

Moshe ben David

kikaida and ran23 like this.
  17. WillAdams

WillAdams Loaded Pockets

Working remotely at two different jobs (brought home a computer to do VPN stuff for my day job, part-time gig is remote).

Trying to get some personal projects done, including some writing:

https://willadams.gitbook.io/design-into-3d/

and trying to work up a good way to do CNC design.

Did indulge myself and placed my first Countycomm order:

- Maratac titanium whistle (need to work out a good way to carry it)
    - titanium chopsticks (the paper packaging on the disposable wooden ones gets ratty in my bag, and I don't want a nice set to get dinged)
    - compact trauma shears --- added to my Mininch pouch
    - SERE compass --- added to my daily bag
    - Delrin Tube-a-ton --- my Proteus Maxpedition clone has two exterior slots, one has a Four Sevens Mini M2A as suggested at: https://www.edcforums.com/threads/simple-18mm-dia-2-aa-flashlight-w-clip-on-larger-end.137029/#post-2623952 --- trying this out in the other slot, now just need to work out what to carry in it

Last edited by WillAdams, Mar 25, 2020
    #37 WillAdams, Mar 25, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
    twin63 likes this.
  18. Gary Gross

Gary Gross Loaded Pockets

I started day one of working remotely today. The governor of Indiana declared all non-essential businesses closed through April 7 (working from home excepted). My company is still working, but some people in their roles weren't able to work from home so they are on "vacation" (furlough) without pay unless they have PTO to use.

Most food is readily available and we should have plenty, although we are able to travel for purchasing necessary items. Fortunately there have been no confirmed coronavirus cases in the county that I live in so we hope to get through this with only minor inconvenience.

I've been painting the house for the last 5 days. I'd really rather be doing something else...

19. echo victor

echo victor Previously "YankeeHotelFoxtrot"

This is my second week of WFH, and my wife's first week. Our daughter, a sophomore, began "distance-learning" the same day as I started to WFH. So far, so good. My adult sons are WFH as well, and both are OK

My direct manager had the flu in February, got better, but has been sick for at least a week now. He's waiting to hear his covid-19 test results. As of yesterday, he was running a 102 fever for about two days.

WFH presents its own set of challenges and craziness, but I'm glad to be doing it.

20. Karmakanic

Karmakanic Loaded Pockets

I work as part of the technical field team for an automotive training/standards organisation. My job involves onsite visits to franchised/independent garages, colleges and so on. My main area is Greater London, which is well ahead of the rest of the UK in terms of Covid 19 infection rate. My company has told us to cancel site visits, for obvious reasons. I am now furloughed until further notice.
    So far so good, but I was working in a high infection rate area until Friday. My wife, like many others, is in an elevated risk category.

Every time there is any event of public concern which requires behavioural change for the good of all, the number of idiots appears to increase.
    Some of these idiots even occupy high political office.

In the UK, after a slow start, those in power have at last grasped the gravity of the situation.

In the words of Sgt Esterhaus: " Lets be careful out there"