1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

How important do you consider nights sights for EDC?

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by c22m22c, Aug 31, 2008.

1. dwrd

dwrd Empty Pockets

I have them on my 2 main carry weapons, but not on my 380. My Sig came with them, and I added them aftermarket to my G23. They are by no means a holy grail that will smite enemies, but a small advantage can never hurt. Training is still the key though.

2. mahler9

mahler9 Banned

Not very important.

The only time they'd be useful is if you're in a completely dark room with absolutely no ambient light. On the hypothetical off-chance that you actually pull and use your firearm on someone, your adrenalin would be pumping so hard that night sites don't even come into question.

The only time I could see using a firearm in the dark is in my home, where:

1.) I have flashlights
    2.) Shotguns don't need night sites (point in general vicinity and pull trigger, pump, repeat)

To sum up: they're gimmicky :)

3. nerves

nerves Empty Pockets

Folk's,

Please do some research (FBI site) and you'll learn that most gun shootings happen in poor/dark lighting conditions. There's ton's of literature out there that will support the NEED for night sites.

On of the better performers are Tru-Glo "TFO's". Additionally, I highly recommend you take a night shooting class from a reputable instructor (MagPul Dynamix, Gunsight, Thunder Ranch, etc.).

4. Dynamik1

Dynamik1 Empty Pockets

The white-dot sights common on most factory hadnguns are completely useless to me - I lose the front sight completely unless I have something of higher reflectivity. My EDC, a Kel-Tec PF-9 came with the standard white dots which I quickly filled with Hi-Glow Yellow hobby paint. Much more functional than the stock sights, but still not as good as fiber-optic. I recently read a magazine review that claimed the most visible front sight was a gold bead highly polished - but I know that if I try to take my handguns to the Jeweler's without my wife that will be the last straw for her!

5. racer944

racer944 Empty Pockets

Ok, most of us shoot expensive defensive loads. Most of us have tested HUNDREDS of these rounds and shoot from very good firearms. We also carry high end semi-custom holsters. I think we can also afford a set of $100 night sights. It doesn't hurt a bit.

6. gandalf23

gandalf23 Empty Pockets

I have night sights on one pistol. It's got three green tritium dots, two on the rear sight, one on the front sight. While I do ok with that pistol at night, I find that I have a harder time shooting it during the day. With my pistol with no night sights I am just as good a shot at night, but tons better during the day. I find that, for me, I prefer an all black front post and all black rear sight. So that's what is on my edc pistol: no night sights, just plain ol' USGI-style sights.

I do practice with my edc pistol at night, and with my edc flashlight. If I am out at night walking the dog, or working late or whatever I typically have my edc light in my offhand anyway, your situation may be different, so do what's right by that.

I have shot quite a bit at night and at dusk, that's one of the advantages of a relative with a farm. :) If you don't have a farm or ranch to shoot on, I have found that if you are at an indoor range and it's empty they have no problem with turning off the lights if you ask. Some indoor ranges even have separate lights on each lane so you can change the lighting for your targets. If you just have access to an outdoor range, see if you can go there around dusk and if they'll let you shoot then.

Also I've shot in a few three gun matches which had stages that included a dark room.

I used to just have a mag light on my nightstand for when things went bump in the night, but the dark room stages taught me that more light and brighter light is better. Now I keep a very bright light on my pistol at night. And an even brighter one on my shotgun. Even if you don't have a chance to shoot at night it is important to shoot your firearm(s) with lights attached at the range. I found the first few lights I tried did not hold up well at all. The ones that did survive: Insight M3x, LED moded mini maglight (but not bright enough), Palm Blaze, Brinkman Maxfire Xenon, Romisen RC-F4, and Romisen RC-S5.

By the way, if your pistol does not have rails it's easy enough to mount a light to it. Just head down to Walmart and get an inexpensive pair of scope mount bases for a Remington 700 and a set of rings that'll fit the base and your light. Then drill corresponding holes in the base of one of your mags and mount the base to the bottom of your magazine. I use a combination of small bolts/nuts and expoy/jb weld. Then mount the light in the ring and to the base. Presto! Instant light mount on your pistol which lets you use a normal two hand hold on it, yet still iluminate the heck out of the area.

Here are some pictures of the first mount I made for a Browning Hi Power. I've since made them for 1911s, CZ-75s, a Beretta 96 and a Sig 220.

[​IMG]

7. TexasGun

TexasGun Empty Pockets

I belive most of the denfisive shootings happen in low light situations, so I belive night sights are as important as good situational awarness. Or if you prefer standard sight have a deticated gun mounted light.

8. JPTP

JPTP Empty Pockets

I like them, anything that can give me an edge is appreciated. Having night sights does not replace practice though.

9. KenpoTex

KenpoTex Loaded Pockets

Are they absolutely necessary? No.
    Are they a good thing to have and might they give you an edge? Yes.
    Is there a good reason not to have them when there is widespread availability for most pistols? No.

10. grimm_kaosboy

grimm_kaosboy Empty Pockets

Very well said KenpoTex. I believe that sums it up perfectly.

11. Eeyore

Eeyore Loaded Pockets

Few years back I took a pistol class with Randy Cain. As I recall, he didn’t like front and rear glowing sights. Let’s assume you have 3 white glowing dots: one on the front blade and two on the rear. The goal is to line the dot upfront between two dots on the back. However you can get confused and aline the front dot to the left or right of two rear dots. You will still be seeing 3 in a row.

I’m not sure I totally agree. However, simple logic dictates that night sights are definitely not a necessity. If it is too dark to see your sights, it is also too dark to see your target. They do seem to add some benefits in the few minutes of dusk and dawn.

12. walters76

walters76 Empty Pockets

I think this is very important. Night sights or not, it doesn't matter which if you cannot see the target to put them on. Of the two guns I regularly carry, one has night sights, one does not. I bought the one with night sights first, then when looking for another carry gun, a gunsmith friend of mine asked me that same question: "if it's dark enough that you have to use night sights, how are you going to see the target?" Up to that point, I had never about it. Yes, they do help at dusk and dawn, but that's less than 1 hour a day. Since then no matter which one I carry, I always carry a flashlight on me when it starts getting dark. The key is practicing with a flashlight.

13. DetroitMatt

DetroitMatt Empty Pockets

Personally, I would put the precedent on a good flashlight over night sights. If you can't see your target, your sights illuminated or otherwise aren't going to do you much good. Plus night sights don't help you assess your situation in low light scenarios. The other thing is these night sights are very expensive. Close to $100 a pop if you need to retrofit your pistol. So I think economics come into the picture too. After saying that though, I'll agree with the gentleman who mentioned why not have every advantage at your disposal? I plan on putting them on my full size HK USP as soon as I get a spare C note. I think you need to think about the application though. I feel it would be a waste to put them on smaller close quarters combat guns like Kel-Tec, J-frames, Seacamps, etc.

So my thoughts: Buy a good flashlight first. If you already have night sights, enjoy them. And for small CCW pistols - I'd probably skip them all together and spend the money on extra practice ammo for all those point shooting drills.

14. KenpoTex

KenpoTex Loaded Pockets

Not necessarily...background (color of the target's clothing), shadow, transitioning from a brightly lit area to a dimly lit (but not completely dark) area, etc.  All of these are factors which may lead to a situation where you may be able to see and identify your target, but have a hard time seeing your sights...

I disagree...on small guns with crappy factory sights, I think it's very advantageous to have a decent set of aftermarket sights fitted (if possible). After all, not all gunfights happen at "bad breath distance" and with a sub-optimal caliber, proper shot placement is even more critical.

15. walters76

walters76 Empty Pockets

You are correct, but those all seem to be "best case senario" situations. Night sights do an excellent job at the few minutes at dusk and dawn, and if you happen to have a target that is in sufficient light but your are not. But realistically, what precent of the time would this be likely to happen? I'm betting not very high. One thing that is a fact is that when the sun goes down, it will be dark in most places. For myself, I will spend the $100 for night sights on a good flashlight. And practice with it.

16. Balog

Balog Loaded Pockets

Night sights could be a significant advantage, but they may not always be useless depending on lighting conditions. A good flashlight is essential for target identification, and can also be used as a rudimentary aiming device with proper training. I am a huge fan of lasers, after initially deriding them as a gimmick. Train without them just in case, certainly. But they offer as big of an advantage for fighting as an Eotech has over iron sights.

17. P35

P35 Loaded Pockets

Not very important to me. In a home defense situation no shots will be fired till the target is lit up with a flashlight or other.
    Out and about , a self defense situation will be at close range. The , don't shoot till your target is identified, rule still applies.
    YMMV

18. tdosthp

tdosthp Loaded Pockets

Interesting that I ran across this thread, as a friend of mine was just asking about night sights.

In my opinion, like another poster stated, night sights are gimmicky. In my experience, I have come to the conclusion that nights sights do not work well for me. Night sights are not included on our duty weapons, but we are allowed to have them installed if desired.

1. I have really good night vision and have found that the night sights mess up my night vision. Granted this does not help in total darkness as there is no ambient light for my eyes to pick up.

2. Night sights become a glowing beacon on my hip. When nothing else of my form is visible in the darkness, the night sights are visible.

3. In total darkness, when you cannot see the threat/target, how do night sights help? See number 1. When the setting is pitch black, I have found that night sights only hinder the acquisition of said threat/target by diminishing night vision. Now if a flashlight is used to illuminate the threat/target...this is where, as has been said above, your training kicks in. We (my department) actually trains very little in the use of our sights. We qualify at annual inservice using our sights (for score), but in any additional training, we practice whilst using no sights or just the front sight.

So my advice to anyone that is border line on purchasing night sights would be to train long and hard with their chosen weapon BEFORE buying and relying on night sights. An easy way to train in point and shoot techniques is to buy an inexpensive laser sight that mounts on the weapon. Make sure it is zeroed in with the sights and practice pointing at a "target" (be it a spot on the wall or your favorite newscaster on tv), then activate the laser to see how close you were to the intended target. With practice, it is possible to become proficient at shooting with limited or no use of sights.

E

19. foxy

foxy Empty Pockets

Personally I dont have night sites on my CCW guns for the following reasons:

1) Cost - I would rather put the same $100 worth of ammo downrange for practice.
    2) Most CCW situations would be very close range and I use a body index "point shooting" method rather then looking at the sites. I can close my eyes, extend a handgun, open my eyes, and the sites will be fixed on whatever is in front of me, because I have spent years aquiring a body index (where my cheeks and shoulders touch in a specific way)
    3) I like Heine Straight Eight sites for long range shots where I do take a second to focus on the sites and the tritium version they sell is not something I like.

For other people I would recommend night sites because they probably dont train as often I do. If you do at least 1 hour of dry firing per week over the course of a few years you will develop a solid body index that should land you COM shots out to 5 yards with your eyes closed. If its so dark that I cant see my sites past 5 yards at night then I wont be able to see the guy I am shooting at either and I prefer to make positive target ID before squeezing the trigger.

20. Nater

Nater Loaded Pockets

IMO, Night sights on a carry weapon are worth the cost. It will be hard enuff to pick up sights in the daylight under duress. In low light, with tunnel vision, adrenaline, etc. trying to align 3 dark blocks on top of your handgun will be tricky. Furthermore, i would recommend green front post and yellow rear.

$100 for an increased ability to see your sights in low light is a small price to pay in the scheme of things; however, in addition to your gun with or without night sites, firearms and mindset training with a reputable instructor and practice are more important than your gear.