1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

How heavy is your bag ?

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by InvertedBob, Sep 18, 2015.

1. EXCALIBUR

EXCALIBUR Loaded Pockets

Da*n!!! That's an impressive EDC loadout.

SMAJ and Gallows like this.
  2. moostapha

moostapha Loaded Pockets

Been cutting mine back lately. I'm fighting a combination of hating backpacks with a passion and getting chronic headaches, possibly from the shoulder bag.

I actually weighed everything this morning.

Litespeed: 3.7#
    Bellstaff knockoff: 2.2#
    On-body stuff: 4.0# (mostly the full size gun and 35 rounds of 9mm)
    Bag stuff: 4.1#
    Water bottle: 1.8#

Unfortunately, the on-body stuff includes my phone, wallet, and Vape mod....which I don't actually like carrying on me when I have the shoulder bag that doesn't take forever to access.

So, my normal carry, with basically zero redundancies (except blades and fire) and with no gear for work or projects is about 6.3 to 7.5#, which I think I'm okay with...as long as these headaches are caused by something else or somehow go away.

T.H.Cone and Gallows like this.
  3. Rockwell Torrey

Rockwell Torrey Loaded Pockets

How deep is the ocean, how high is the sky?

How heavy is my bag? HEAVY.

It goes from 40 to 60 pounds. I pack tool heavy. I like tools and multi use stuff. My EDC bag is almost a INCH bag now. You could drop me almost anywhere and I could homestead out of my bag.

The good news is I am fat. I figure if I lose 5 pounds I can add 5 pounds to my bag and come out even.

A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul. I guess that makes me just a giant Peter.

EZDog, MikeM, T.H.Cone and 1 other person like this.
  4. BlackBeardActual

BlackBeardActual Loaded Pockets

Well that's all good and fine, never really matters much, the weight:frantic: . Until you decide it's your permanent stuck to your hip, everyday lug around. Then every ounce starts to matter :running:
    If it ain't a necessity, toss it ......... my way! :bundle-of-joy_throwvertical:

Water-Rat and Gallows like this.
  5. BlackBeardActual

BlackBeardActual Loaded Pockets

Just the 10 C's of survival ... cutting, covering, combustion etc.. plus a big'o bag of power bars and wet wipes. I could really cut it in half but suffer the weight for a few creature comforts!

6. Swe_Nurse

Swe_Nurse Loaded Pockets

If it weighs less than 6 kg and still uncomfortable it's probably not a matter of weight but weight distribution/the fit of the bag. Try to get it to ride higher, especially the heavy stuff like books. This can be done by tightening the straps, using the sternum strap (if the R12 has one) and by placing something like a jacket in the bottom of the pack to get the books higher which is usually more comfortable.

7. Dany

Dany Loaded Pockets

Ok - finally got mine weighted. My Mongo, fully stuffed with all my EDC-Gear, is 7.2 kg (that's 15.87 lbs). I'm 172cm (5' 6'') and 72kg (157 lbs).

8. MikeM

MikeM Loaded Pockets

In the summer my Tara weighs about 4 lbs total,in the winter my Xray weighs in the 10 - 12 lb. range.

Mike

Gallows likes this.
  9. rr1071

rr1071 Loaded Pockets

My Triab 18 regularly carries 35-40lbs when day-hiking 5-10 miles with only mild fatigue afterwards in the trap/neck area. I like to keep the pack high-and-tight, pretty snug on my back. I have considered using my R12 with that weight on the trails too. And while this is not strictly EDC purposing, I just want to say I think the R12 should handle as much weight as the Triab 18 because the straps are attached better on the R12. Also I'm not built big, more or less average sized, and in my middle age I've built up to this weight handling very slowly, and it has markedly improved my health and probably bone density along the way. You may need some more time to adjust to the additional loads.

Gallows likes this.
  10. sk33tr

sk33tr Loaded Pockets

just weighed my edc backpack. it came in about 12 lbs. not too bad, i guess. it's never felt heavy, to me, so i guess i'll keep it that way.

Gallows and Endless Fugue like this.
  11. Endless Fugue

Endless Fugue Loaded Pockets

My regular bag is 10-13 lbs depending on amount of water carried I believe.

Gallows and T.H.Cone like this.
  12. kensington

kensington Loaded Pockets

59lbs

[​IMG]

13. Exploriment

Exploriment Loaded Pockets

If your shoulders are sore from carrying 12 pounds, it’s time to start a calisthenics regimen.

Gallows likes this.
  14. reppans

reppans Loaded Pockets

I EDC a small messenger bag ~10 lbs/10 liters which is fine on a single shoulder for an hour, maybe two max. I rig as dual strap backpack for longer carry periods.

Gallows and T.H.Cone like this.
  15. Kontractor

Kontractor Loaded Pockets

I went from 45lbs (Yes, seriously. Fully decked out Rush 72 with everything but the kitchen sink in it) to about 5lbs (Oakley AP Pack 3.0, or something like that.)

I stopped carrying my Alienware 18.4 and power brick (17lbs or so with just those 2) and all of the EXTRA electronic things. Down to my PS Vita, 3DS, MacBook Air, some hard drives/thumb drives, change of clothes, FAK, clean-up kit, and some extra undergarments... just in case :D Knife is in my pocket, not in my bag ;)

Endless Fugue likes this.
  16. Gilatabar
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gilatabar Loaded Pockets

EDC bag is about 20lbs, because I have to carry a Lenovo X230i (heavy for its size) and my toolkit, that's about a kg already

17. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

I don't concern myself with the actual weight of the one briefcase that I use. If I need to transport something, I do so. If it feels that it would be potentially injurious to do so for protracted periods, I simply use another container with wheels. For those still young enough to not be presently ultimately concerned about potential deleterious spinal issues, become concerned now. It's tough to be in your 50s with 30 pounds of undigested red meat handing over your belt complaining about lower back problems because you've been carrying instead of rolling that overstuffed man-bag for the last 35 years and your core muscles are about as fit as a bag of partially refrigerated Jello.

steeps and rr1071 like this.
  18. tr4022

tr4022 Uber Prepared

Depends. Today I feel like I got the weight of the whole freakin' world on by back. Then again, I'm pretty sure it's not just my bag. Hope this helps.

Tod

19. moostapha

moostapha Loaded Pockets

I'll double this. I'm (guessing I'm) 20-something years younger than 0dBm and can't carry a 10# shoulder bag anymore thanks to a back injury.

Also, my bag is under 5# as long as I'm wearing my ccw and on-body gear.

0dBm likes this.
  20. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

Guess again!:D