1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

How heavy is your bag ?

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by InvertedBob, Sep 18, 2015.

1. InvertedBob

InvertedBob Loaded Pockets

I've been carrying my R12 for a little over a month(I think?:rolleyes_revamped:) And now the school year started and since this monday I've been carrying my EDC+all the books I need in class and my shoulders definately feel it. Today I got home and my shoulders were aching really badly.

I weighted the R12 filled with everything I carried today at school and the result(although it feels heavier) is 5.6kgs or 12.34lbs. I've never weighted my bag before so I'm not sure if this is a heavy bag or not, but I'd like to know how much does your bag weight ?

<Bob/>

Cobra 6 Actual, Gallows and ManVsLawn like this.
  2. IHateBottleOpeners

IHateBottleOpeners EDC Junkie!!!!!

I have the Tasmanian Tiger Combat Backpack and it weights 1.5kg empty, when filled with stuff for 12h worktime + 1h walk back and forth from home to my job, it maybe weights 6-7kg. maybe more. 2l water, 2-3 meals, clothes, 3-4 flashlights, 5-6 knives, hand sanitizer, rubbing alcohol and lots of other miscellaneous.

3. ManVsLawn

ManVsLawn EDC Junkie!!!!!

Isn't a 'general rule' is not to exceed 1/4 your body weight in a load?

As in, a 200lb man should not make habit of carrying more than a 50lb backpack.

That being said, I rarely, if ever, carry a bag.

4. Dany

Dany Loaded Pockets

For a short answer: Always too heavy! ;)Seriously: Have to weight it...

5. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Way too heavy!

It seems to be my way?

Gallows and InvertedBob like this.
  6. InvertedBob

So I weight 52kgs and judging by the rule ManVsLawn talked about, I should be able to carry around 13kgs in my backpack, but those 6kgs are already heavy enough lol :), but that's alright, because I don't need to carry more anyway :p

Roy Williams, Gallows and ManVsLawn like this.
  7. smokingfish

smokingfish Loaded Pockets

I don't have a scale at home, but I compared it to a 20 lb weight and it seems my backpack with my work stuff and nalgene, is about 10 lbs at most.

Gallows and ManVsLawn like this.
  8. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

May I ask, how old are you?
    I think that 'rule' only really applies once you are fully mature/stopped growing.

9. InvertedBob

Hitting 17 this November

Amor patriae ducit

SMAJ, Gallows and ManVsLawn like this.
  10. ManVsLawn

ManVsLawn EDC Junkie!!!!!

Luckily that age doesn't hit back.

I'm not sure if that rule is for youths or adults.

11. callforfire
    • In Omnia Paratus

callforfire Loaded Pockets

Hitting 41 39.v3 this November. Depending on which classes I have for the day my pack can get up there in the ballpark of 25lbs. I could probably near half that if I took the edc stuff out. That's not gonna happen so I guess just start buying Ti stuff.
    I ruck a lot so it's not the weight that bothers me, it's turning in a crowded hall. If I'm not careful someone could get knocked pretty bad. That and getting in elevators make me feel like I should front load.

mizedog, SMAJ, Gallows and 1 other person like this.
  12. InvertedBob

In crowded spaces and/or dangerous areas where I might get robbed(which I know it's pretty impossible without me noticing it), I wear my backpack in front. I might look funny, but I'm better of looking funny than hitting somebody in the bus with my filled backpack or losing something.

SMAJ and Gallows like this.
  13. Schnurri

Schnurri Loaded Pockets

Think of all the knowledge, fun and satisfaction the books you are carrying will give you. :rofl:
    But seriously: Paper weighs a lot, and I'm all in favor for schoolbooks going digital. If you need all these books, then there's not a lot you can do about them and you will have to size down on your EDC.
    I've never weighed my bags and there's not much sense in it, as the weight varies, depending on what books I have to carry. For classes at university, I usually carry my 13 inch MBP, a DinA-5 notebook and/or binder (both roughly 200 pages), a pencil case and a half liter bottle of water. And small-time stuff like contact lens liquid and spare glasses. If it's just this stuff I'm carrying, I usually take the German army's big "Kampftasche", if there are any more books involved, I choose to take a backpack.

Gallows likes this.
  14. steeps

steeps Loaded Pockets

You could scan each chapter into Evernote using your phone or tablet and then you'd have access to them digitally. If you don't have a smart phone or tablet then if you own the books and plan on just recycling them after the class is over you could tear off the binding and just carry the chapter you need for the day.

marcclarke and Gallows like this.
  15. T.H.Cone

T.H.Cone I am senor Fluffy, hear me roar

My wife doesn't allow allow me to discuss her weight on the interwebs.

:p

My regular EDC bag- a MOBIUS- is between 12 and 14 pounds. This is really too much for a bag of this size and style, but I don't typically have to carry it too far on foot.

My so called GHB is 16 or 17 pounds.

I usually day hike with a bag that's less than 20 pounds. Even backpacking, I don't like to go over 35 pounds.

With my advancing years and my back issues, less is now always more.

16. Gallows
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gallows EDC Junkie!!!!!

Just weighed my Mongo and it is 12 pounds. I really didn't think it was all that heavy.

[​IMG]

SMAJ and T.H.Cone like this.
  17. InvertedBob

Apparently we're not allowed to carry "digital" versions of our books at school and I don't own the books, they are the school's, so I can't rip them..

18. BlackBeardActual

BlackBeardActual Loaded Pockets

This tough guy comes in at 13.6 lbs. [ the RAPDOM Messenger bag ]
    which is bearable as a shoulder sling. And I love it due to the aided hip strap belt for long walk carry that really makes the weight disappear. It serves as my truck bag and EDC for my tablets, pens, and snacks as well as emergency survival basics [10C's].

It's one of several systems to keep all my "crap" sorted, as I keep a big bag that stays in the truck for things like a sleeping bag, and vehicle repair, etc..

Pics below of contents: but I'd admit not preferable over a backpack in a real roadside emergency or otherwise but I rock it for it's easy access and setup for everyday carrying.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

19. kensington

kensington Loaded Pockets

My Rush 72 weighed in at about 45lbs a few weeks ago, have added a bit since then, will have to throw it on the scale again.

20. Water-Rat

Water-Rat Loaded Pockets

Have never really weighed my bags. My work backpack is pretty light, just some papers, lunch, and first aid stuff. My lifeguard/kayak/SUP bag is a larger Rusty branded bag that is about ready to fall apart. Normal loadout is a couple large towels, a couple changes of clothes, spare footwear, lunch, etc. No idea of weight, but when it's in the right spot, it'll activate the airbag on my passenger seat.

ManVsLawn, T.H.Cone and Gallows like this.