1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

How has your flashlight carry / requirements philosophy changed?

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by Tegan's Dad, Oct 14, 2014.

1. Bowman1911

Bowman1911 EDC Mechanic

I used to be a lumen junky, but nowadays, it's all about use! Ever since I got the HDS edc rotary, I've been content! I can momentary/click on at ultra-low low. Click press for full on high, and rotate anywhere in between. I can locate beacon or strobe with a couple clicks, and I can even 5-click into an led candle mode for tellin' spooky stories around this time of year.

2. les snyder

les snyder Loaded Pockets

landwire... this set up works pretty well for me.,. an older Goal Zero 7watt panel will fully charge my partially charged Sanyo Eneloops in about 3 hours using either the Guide 10 battery pack or the Fujicell SCH808F charger (blue lid)... I really like the SCH808F as it will charge from 3 modes... 12vdc, 120vac, and 5vdc (USB)... I used the female cigarette receptacle with battery clips during the 9 day outage in the 2004 hurricane season... now have a receptacle mounted on a deep discharge battery to run my digital TV and Eneloops if necessary

[​IMG]

Tegan's Dad, SurvivePenna and dml24 like this.
  3. twin63

twin63 Loaded Pockets

I made the decision to start carrying a flashlight back in the mid 80's. I was working evening shift at a hospital and parked in an area that was poorly lit, so a light came in handy at night when leaving work. My first carry light was a 2AA Mini-Mag. Not the best, but I didn't know much about lights and the Mini-Mag served its purpose. I carried the Maglite until somewhere around 2007 or 2008 when I stumbled on a River Rock AA 1W LED flashlight while shopping at Target. It was a huge improvement - small, pocket clip, 1 AA, better beam. The Maglite went into my toolbox. Not much longer after that, I discovered EDC Forums. I soon found myself carrying a Quark AA (I really liked the moonlight/low modes). Now, I have a lot of lights to chose from, depending on the task, but tend to use 1xAAA and 1xAA lights (with moonlight/low low modes) for daily carry.

ManVsLawn, keith1234 and Tegan's Dad like this.
  4. Flash Owl

Flash Owl Loaded Pockets

like so many others before they became enlightened, lumens was a big factor even though i didnt know the difference between OTF and emitter lumens. price and battery format being the other factor.

the latter 2 are still important. but lumens has dropped way down the list when considering a light.
    mode spacing, and beam pattern are much more important. i realize i dont really need more than 200 lumens for anything i do. and i much rather have the longer runtimes.

the most important factors now besides price, and durability is its interface.
    a simple interface is a must. too many times a family member picks up a zebralight, 47 or HDS and struggles making it do what they want. nowadays, almost all lights sitting around is a single or 2 mode clicky, or momentary switches. if its a twisty, it only has 1 mode (unless its sequential). no twisting back and forth.
    one hand operation is important, but not a must.

when it comes to beam pattern. i like throwers. even my EDC lights have tight beams.
    optics preferred over reflectors for a dimmer, fading spill rather than a spill with a pronounced outline.
    the tight beam also helps make up for my lights being conservatively driven for longer runtimes, as well as generating less heat.

then theres tint. i used to be somewhat of a snob about it, and preferred warm tints. but now it doesnt matter so much as long as its not blue or green.

Last edited by Flash Owl, Oct 14, 2014
    Naked Wife, keith1234 and Tegan's Dad like this.
  5. dml24

dml24 Loaded Pockets

Nice set up for keeping batteries charged!

Tegan's Dad likes this.
  6. JHGM

JHGM Dinosaur Supervisor

Sounds like most here only EDC one light...

Amatuers... ;)

ManVsLawn, twin63 and Tegan's Dad like this.
  7. archimedes

archimedes EDC Junkie!!!

I think this was my most popular post over on CPF ...

[​IMG]

It was eventually called the "archimedes peak" :D

twin63, Bowman1911, Flash Owl and 5 others like this.
  8. reppans

reppans Loaded Pockets

That was a classic :).

archimedes and Tegan's Dad like this.
  9. Valerian

Valerian Tea-powered admin

Like many other posters, I went through the phase where brighter was always better and used to carry multiple lights on me. Now I pretty much use only my keychain 1AAA light. Plus a bicycle light, of course, but that's a permanently attached dynamo-powered thing, so it goes with the bicycle and doesn't really count as a separate light. I do have a backup (2AAA penlight) as well as a headlamp (1AA) in my backpack, which I guess do count as EDC lights, but I almost never use them.

I have multiple larger lights at home, but I let the kids play with them, because when I need a light, I use a headlamp. I keep my headlamp where the kids can't reach, so I know where it is when I need it.

Ironically, I pretty much never use a light at night. When I wake up and go to the bathroom or check on the kids, my eyes are dark adapted and I can see my way around just fine without a light.

10. dml24

dml24 Loaded Pockets

I have multiple lights available at all times. A Fenix E05 is in my pocket all the time. A Fenix E12, Nitecore MT21A and a headlamp are in my EDC pack which is always nearbye.
    The EDC pack carries extra AA and AAA batteries for feeding the the multiple lights if the need arises.

keith1234 and Tegan's Dad like this.
  11. Zatx

Zatx Loaded Pockets

It's kind of funny. I went through this same phase with bags and handguns. When I started EDC'ing bags I wanted the biggest and the best. Now I have a minimalist back pack. When I first started buying handguns it was the bigger the better... strap a 45 to my waist. Now I carry the smallest revolver in the world in my front pocket.

Come to think of it I did the same thing with knives.... big Spydercos then a Sebenza. Now I've got the small thin Spyderco Chaparral in my pocket.

I think I just naturally figured out that carrying big bags, guns, and knives was a pain in the arse... and if something is a pain in the arse you don't do it for long. All of my gear now is smaller, lighter, and hassle free... yet still gets the job done.

12. reppans

reppans Loaded Pockets

I haven't changed much - I've always been into dim and long runtimes.... and I'm pretty much back to where I started with "real" flashlights ;).

As a camper, I used to only use headlamps from Black Diamond and Petzl and almost exclusively on their lowest setting. Those headlamps used to drive me nuts - their UI's always start on Max making you cycle down, low was too high, and the red filter/LED solutions were two wrongs trying to make a right (wasting batts AND an unnatural tint). Felt like I was constantly swapping batteries, and outside of camping, I never had a light on me due to the bulk of EDCing the headband. Then I discovered CPF and the online flashlight market - Wow.

Got a Quark as my first real flashlight and fell in love with its "bright" ultra-efficient moonlight mode, and followed by a good low low mode. I've tried some of the best in the 1AA/sub-lumen class, CLICKY, but Quarks still fit my needs the best. My flashlight sweet spot has zero'd on "bright" moonlight modes with closely spaced lows, full support of 14500/CRAAs, fast UIs (particularly momentary Max from ON), and beam profile of an XML in med-sized AA head (or XPG in small AA head). I'm much more of a moonlight output snob than tint snob - I have a bunch of N219s and NWs, but their fireflies just don't do it for me.

Separately, I've consolidating all my camping, travel, emergency gadgets around the AA Eneloop since the battery first came out in '06 - I got sick of carrying around proprietary chargers and back-up batts for each device - so that's defined my flashlight cells to AAs, and of course being a low lumen enthusiast, single AA lights last plenty long for me. I am surprised that I've really taken to 14500s though - I just love how a quick voltage check gives you remain capacity, and it's great to show off with, of course. But I rarely travel with Li-ion chargers or back-up cells - I'll just go to Eneloops.

ManVsLawn, twin63, keith1234 and 3 others like this.
  13. seandude

seandude Empty Pockets

My interest in flashlights began when I worked nightshifts as a technician at the airport. I had my Leatherman Wave and a basic incandescent AA Maglite strapped to my belt. I needed more power for equipment inspections, so I bought a Streamlight Ultrastinger. All my friends were impressed. It had a whopping 230 lumens! Not very impressive by today's standards, but man could it throw.

Today I carry one flashlight. My Sunwayman Revolution. With variable brightness up to 500 lumens and a rechargeable 14500 battery, it's all the light I could want in a 4 inch package. Technology rocks!

[​IMG]

14. cityofthesouth

cityofthesouth Loaded Pockets

I dunno, my philosophy had to wait around for the lights to become available, which happens to me a lot with all sorts of products. Often I end up making things because nothing that exists suits me (I wish I could make flashlights). I'm pretty much strictly 1xAA for pocket carry and not that long ago, the options were expensive or had lots of features I don't want, or both. There were some great lights, but no pocket clip or the cheap (akoray K106 and the like) versions that seemed to fit the bill didn't last long enough to keep buying. I got an Inova X1 and used a lanyard in place of a pocket clip and that worked fine for a long time while I waited for the perfect light to come into existence - and I still suggest the X1 because mine has been a trusty companion despite its shortcomings. But for the most part, the simple 1xAA, with a good, low pocket clip, clicky, and 3-ish non-disco modes didn't seem to really exist for a good price. I bought a couple lights like the Nitecore MT1a and one of the Sunbeams but never liked them. Relatively recently the Solarforce Z2, the L3 Illumination L10c and the Thrunite T10 all happened (someone finally caught on I'd like to think) and all of them are the sort of light that I've been waiting for.

One day not long ago, the battery died in the light I was carrying while I was trying to use it and I think that one occasion was enough to change my philosophy about carrying more than one light. I'm still working on how exactly to have a second light on my person consistently for all seasons, but I now think differently about the keychain or backup light idea.

15. aerosxl

aerosxl Loaded Pockets

I actually carry one now...

ManVsLawn, Tegan's Dad and GatorMedic like this.
  16. Jes3se

Jes3se Loaded Pockets

My edc background started as a boy scout in the late nineties. I bought a small 2AAA maglight, and at the time, it was the best thing I'd ever seen. Of course I took it apart right away and somehow lost the lens which seemed to make it irreparable. Later, after some other cheap flashlights, I bought a petzl tikka. The old four led model with the flip up red lens.

I've since convinced several friends of the benefits of both headlamps and led lights. I have owned several keychain and cheap brand headlamps. I now own the same tikka, a zipka, a petzl e+light, a streamlight Protac and finally have arrived at a streamlight micro stream as a perfect blend of accessibility and brightness.

The light is small, and bright enough to cover my everyday needs. Other lights function better for their specific jobs, but the micro stream is easy to carry and useful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. choombak

choombak Loaded Pockets

Copy that.

After doing all song and dance I ended up with ore broken lights than functional. Over years, I have settled down on a very few brands - Peak, Malkoff, and SureFire. Arc AAA is my keychain carry and every person in my house has an Arc AAA.

Tegan's Dad and archimedes like this.
  18. JustinJ
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

JustinJ Loaded Pockets

I like a flashlight that coordinates with/compliments my knife and other edc gear in pictures (so titanium or stainless steel), has a tail clicky, multiple brightness settings, and runs on one AA or AAA battery. I don't come across many lights that meet all those qualifications. so far it is eagletac d25a and Xeno Cube. the xeno is a big brick of stainless steel, so i use it as my nightstand flashlight. the eagletac gets all the pocket time.

Tegan's Dad likes this.
  19. Shur
    • In Omnia Paratus

Shur Loaded Pockets

I stopped posting there years ago, maybe that explains why I'm still looking for more lumens :)
    I've become willing to have different lights for specific purposes instead of trying to have one light that does it all. My teeth are big fans of my headlamp.

Tegan's Dad likes this.
  20. Tallboyjim

Tallboyjim Loaded Pockets

I'm currently going for lights that look purdy and match my knife or something. Normally always a AAA but I'm after a AA as well. It used to be size based. That said I've only been looking into all this for a few months. Getting a few converts though slowly but surely.

Tegan's Dad likes this.