1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

How do you wear your sling / courier bag?

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by subwoofer, Apr 10, 2013.

?

How do you wear your Sling/Courier bag and are you right or left handed?

1. Right side - Right handed (Strap crosses body from left shoulder to right hip)

45.9%
  2. Right side - Left Handed (Strap crosses body from left shoulder to right hip)

9.8%
  3. Left side - Right handed (Strap crosses body from right shoulder to left hip)

14.8%
  4. Left side - Left Handed (Strap crosses body from right shoulder to left hip)

3.3%
  5. Right side - Right handed (Strap on same shoulder)

11.5%
  6. Right side - Left handed (Strap on same shoulder)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Left side - Right handed (Strap on same shoulder)

1.6%
  8. Left side - Left handed (Strap on same shoulder)

4.9%
  9. Both sides used equally - Right Handed

8.2%
  10. Both sides used equally - Left Handed

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. subwoofer
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

subwoofer Loaded Pockets

A little project I'm working on has got me thinking about how people wear their single strap / sling bags. In particular the choice of side, handedness and if the strap crosses the body or not.

I have put many different choices in the poll as I would like to look for particular patterns which may be affected by handedness or other factors as so far my observations have not drawn any conclusions (but I can't accost passers-by to check).

When choosing a response, I am not interested whether the bag itself sits slightly forward, on your hip, or slightly back or behind you, only in the side it goes, how the strap is worn and if you are right or left handed.

Thanks for taking the time to respond, and if you have any particular comments, please post in the thread.

2. subwoofer
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

subwoofer Loaded Pockets

I realise I may need to separate this into more specific types of bag and situation, but I'll see if this works first.

3. Koala3

Koala3 Loaded Pockets

I'm left handed. Wear my Moab 10 across body, over right shoulder. Push pack goes on my right hip over left shoulder.

4. Here Comes The BOOM

Here Comes The BOOM EDC Junkie!!!!!

Fossil City bag, carried on left hip, strap over right shoulder, right handed (vote casted).

It keeps the pockets on the right side of my body easy-accessible & gives the dominant hand a bit more playroom when needed. I can do most things almost as well as with my left hand though, and my dominant left eye makes me a preferred left handed shooter with bow & riffle.

5. ambaal

ambaal Loaded Pockets

Depends on the bag. Versipacks and such I can carry over any shoulder (although I prefer over right one since I'm left-handed).

Messenger bags (real ones), however, I do carry very high on my back and not really able to change shoulders quickly, so they go over right shoulder pretty much always.

6. echo63

echo63 Loaded Pockets

i use both shoulders, but favour the left side/strap on same shoulder.

if im walking long distances, i will cross it over the body

7. Zebulon

Zebulon Loaded Pockets

I voted option 1, but my bag actually rests diagonally across my back from my left shoulder to my right hip.

8. subwoofer
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

subwoofer Loaded Pockets

I'm watching with interest, so please keep the votes and replies coming

9. deathcaps

deathcaps Loaded Pockets

I'm right-handed and used to wear bags on my right hip, but I found that they were rubbing against my wallet chain so now I always wear them on the left hip.

10. Coupe_gxp

Coupe_gxp Uber Prepared

I just throw my kato over either not really paying attention to it at all.

11. scbubba
    • In Omnia Paratus

scbubba Loaded Pockets

Cast vote for option 1 beau that's my normal method for messenger bag and for MOAB 10. Sometimes i'll put the messenger bag on my right shoulder (not cross body) if I'm in a hurry or just carrying it very short distance.

Good thread.

- Bubba

12. subwoofer
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

subwoofer Loaded Pockets

I'm a little surprised that the trend seems to be going against this answer.

Take2 has described exactly my thinking. I am right handed and have the bag normally on my left hip. It gives me better access to my right hand pockets and feels more natural. Accessing the bag is a quick move round to the front and then back again. The exceptions to this are the 5.11 MOAB bags as these only work having the bag the same side as your handedness.

13. Cobra 6 Actual

Cobra 6 Actual Loaded Pockets

I do 'left shoulder to right hip' with the same reasoning as many that reverse it: I'm left-handed and carrying this way frees my left hand for access to my concealed carry weapon, a Glock 27.

14. subwoofer
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

subwoofer Loaded Pockets

Exactly as I would have expected, so I would have thought that options 2 and 3 would have been the majority.

15. Cobra 6 Actual

Cobra 6 Actual Loaded Pockets

Yeah, Subwoffer, I guess that's why Einstein said "If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it?"

16. ATC-Salty
    • In Omnia Paratus

ATC-Salty Loaded Pockets

I have a Malaga and wear it on the right shoulder not crossing as one would do with just one side of a back pack. I use the stabilizer strap to hold it place. I find this much faster to put on and take off unless its going to be on there awhile, in which case I put it on crossed from left shoulder to right side like it is supposed to be worn.

You can kinda see this from my photo
    <<--------

17. subwoofer
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

subwoofer Loaded Pockets

Cobbra that is exactly why I started this thread. The results have surprised me, but have educated me at the same time.

Cobra 6 Actual likes this.
  18. pelicularities
    • In Omnia Paratus

pelicularities Loaded Pockets

I'm right-handed and I wear a Chrome Metropolis with the bag going from my left shoulder to right hip. I prefer it to sit high on my back (as the Chrome bags are designed to do imho) and if I need something on the go, I loosen the strap and swing the bag around on my right side. Because it sits so high on the back, it doesn't obstruct my right hand. Even when I'm not carrying the Chrome Metropolis, my bags go from left shoulder to right hip so I can reach in with my right hand. Unlike take2, I am right-eye dominant and shoot rifles right-handed.

For short distances, if I'm in a hurry, I just sling the bag over my right shoulder (option 5).