1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

How do you use your field notes? Are you just a jotter or do you have it organised

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by Jason Liddell, Jan 14, 2017.

1. DRPoolio

DRPoolio Loaded Pockets

Jason, here's is a great article on the system of using Field Notes notebooks and the Bullet Journal system. He also mentions the GTD system and how he was able to bring everything together. Honestly, this was the example I've used to put my system together. It didn't take much tweaking to get it to the point of being my everyday go to system for work and personal matters. Check it out...

https://bulletjournalpros.com/2016/04/06/pro-qa-john-wells-owner-jb-welly-inc/

Jason Liddell likes this.
  2. 313

313 Uber Prepared

THX2008 and Jason Liddell like this.
  3. Jason Liddell

Jason Liddell Loaded Pockets

Thanks, I can work that out if it will fit for me, I'll just convert to mm, lol

hmmm almost 10mm - 9.5 or close to it.

Too think, I really need something that is ultra thin like barely fit a FN book

4. Jason Liddell

Jason Liddell Loaded Pockets

313 likes this.
  5. DRPoolio

DRPoolio Loaded Pockets

Hey demPHO, how does the Micron work with the Leuchtterm? I'm using fountain pens to draw up my weekly spread but I get a lot of messy smearing. Does the Micron have this problem as well? I'd like to use something that has little or no smear when I line things out.

demPho likes this.
  6. demPho

demPho Loaded Pockets

This is what you want! I'm a huge cross roller fan and they smear and bleed. The archival ink dries quickly, minimal bleed. No smearing within a couple seconds. They're perfect.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

DRPoolio likes this.
  7. THX2008

THX2008 Loaded Pockets

Less concerned with organizing my commonplace, at this point, than simply committing the words to paper. It forces me to think about them, again. Reviewing them later does the same thing. So much of what we dwell on is ultimately unimportant. The book provides an alternative.

313 and Jason Liddell like this.
  8. calebklyne

calebklyne Loaded Pockets

I use my field notes for random and unorganized thoughts so I can keep my main notebook/journal relatively organized or at least collected

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Moshe ben David and twin63 like this.
  9. thegrouch314

thegrouch314 Loaded Pockets

I use mine as a bullet journal.

I used to have an A5 bullet journal but that means that if I wasn't carrying a bag, I didn't have my BuJo so I switched to a pocket carry and I wouldn't go back, it's great

Bronc, DRPoolio and 313 like this.
  10. DRPoolio

DRPoolio Loaded Pockets

Hey Grouch, I'm doing the same now. Currently using a system of 2 FN books, one for dumping notes and the other for my Bullet Journal. I'm always looking for tweaks to the weekly layouts, care to share how you're putting your Bullet Journal to use?

11. thegrouch314

thegrouch314 Loaded Pockets

I like to draw up a week at a time with a page for a day with just my schedule and tasks. I don't do a lot of the stuff I see in other BuJos like trackers and what-have-you. I leave a page or two after the weak to jot down any other stuff like appointments or phone numbers.

I've found that if I over-complicate it, I won't use it so I keep it simple but it really comes down to what suits you

DRPoolio and Moshe ben David like this.
  12. Tromba

Tromba Loaded Pockets

It amazes me how much useful information I get from this site.

I have been trying to carry a field notes in my pocket but I wasn't finding a useful way to log info. It was just a few random dumps of info that were not useful to me. Consequently I was not carrying a note book on a regular basis.

Then I saw this thread. I had never heard of bullet journaling before. When I looked into it further it was like a huge light bulb went off for me. I have been bullet journaling in a field notes book for a week now. Wow. It has changed things significantly for me. I keep 2. 1 for work and 1 for personal. I have found myself being so productive. I love it!

13. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Consider keeping just a single bullet journal; maybe color coding the tasks. Years ago when I first started my career I remember reading a book on how to keep your life organized. Said book was oriented towards Day-Timers (and yeah, they still exist!). But the point was to only have a single calendar rather than one at home, one at work, one in the pocket, etc etc. Keeping a single one eliminated both the problem of synchronizing plus eliminated the risk of missing out on something due to not checking multiple sources..

That was over 40 years ago. I've stuck with single planner/calendar ever since and never regretted it. Just something to consider...

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

14. Medic1

Medic1 Loaded Pockets

I use mine mostly for any art I create in which I want to keep notes and an inventory number on it which mostly shows the date the art was completed.
    06 20 18-3. June 20,2018 third piece done that day and then notes about the work.