1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

How do you use a 'torch lair'?!

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by Brewer, Feb 27, 2019.

1. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

I am happy for anyone who can find anything they like and find practical but I am so far just baffled by the idea of this?
    I have not read any reviews or ever heard this mentioned until this thread so I am curious more than anything else as of now.
    This is sure the strangest feature I have ever seen but it is not far from it right now either?

2. Miles717

Miles717 Loaded Pockets

I'd certainly be hesitant to make use of it unless absolutely stationary. If it works for ppl, good for them but I just see that as a prime opportunity to lose a light.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

3. thegrouch314

thegrouch314 Loaded Pockets

Perhaps it could work with the velcro fastener like the long vertical version the 5.11 AHP has. I use the one an the AHP for attaching my cane when I'm tot using it and the velcro fastener is great. A smaller version of that at one end of the torch lair could grab the neck of the light but even then, I don't see it being too useful, especially since it'd only work for a light with a certain shape like a maglite, not a straight one like the streamlite .

Frankly it seems like they had the fabric there and instead of stitching up the sides, they left it open and called it a feature.
    IMO they'd have been better off branding it as for holding jackets or bandannas than flashlights

4. dorebow

dorebow Loaded Pockets

I keep a big torch in it.

[​IMG]

5. ProjeKtWEREWOLF

ProjeKtWEREWOLF Loaded Pockets

I have a sealed resuscitation face mask slipped inside it in the janus, attached to my rush12. Nothing else feels secure tbh.

6. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

So is this just a wide open tube from both sides with noting to grab and secure whats inside?

7. dorebow

dorebow Loaded Pockets

That's correct; I took the stretch cord off; that light is so big and fits so tight that it won't fall out.
    This is my car bag; I don't carry it into situations where it would get rough treatment.
    That light is only carried after dark when I need to light up the undersides of clouds.:uhhuh:

8. Ren

Ren Loaded Pockets

If I were carrying like this, would use a shock cord loop lanyard tied to the flashlight, and looped over the head to hold it.

Seen some gun types use similar method, with shock cord going across the back of the hand, so can open your hand and not drop the flashlight.

Also ferro rod holders on knife sheaths use similar retention.

dorebow likes this.
  9. dorebow

dorebow Loaded Pockets

I'm really beginning to like this forum.:smile_coffee:

That Movie Guy likes this.
  10. Perigee

Perigee Loaded Pockets

Muhahaha!

Amazing to see this after a long absence; I don't remember (and would never be so... durr to) call it a "Torch Lair," but I certainly remember calling for the useage. And, in the last week, I've actually perfected it. Behold:

[​IMG]
    For potholing in Ireland.

Two 90-degree lights with butt-end rare earth magnets connected by a steel washer. Within The TORCH LAIR!! Woooo...

That obsessive little beauty is bringing a potential 4,000 lumens of light to the party, with a 20,000 power bank in the top pocket to keep things bright and clear. More power than I'll ever need. But... you gotta admit... she looks badarse, anyway.

The heads roll downwards for stowage, with the big guns on top so they can point downwards around the top pocket and not hook passing ephemera.

[​IMG]

#30 Perigee, Dec 31, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2021
    GoBliNuke and That Movie Guy like this.
  11. tbzbbt

tbzbbt Loaded Pockets

Vertx interior pockets refer. Horizontal with no elastic retention. Elastic or _cinching_ shock cord is required or such sleeves or pockets.

tbzbbt

12. DCBman

DCBman Loaded Pockets

Sorry, very late to the party here.

Well, not to be a smart-alec, but I've got a great idea for that horizontal pocket, and I believe it's intended purpose is exactly what the OP has noted as it's worst shortcoming!

a.) For the consumer - the pocket is designed to stash EDC stuff in that you don't like. Then, when you lose it, which you almost certainly will in short order, you won't feel bad about going out and buying another, better, one!

b.) From the seller's standpoint - The manufacturer hopes you'll stick a bunch of stuff in there and promptly lose it (see item #a. above), never to be found again, deep in the woods on a hike. Then, you'll have to go out and buy more EDC gear (bonus for them!). Even better, the horizontal pocket might make you so angry after you lose about (15) items out of it, that you replace the bag altogether. Major bonus for the manufacturer!

So that's what you call a Win-Win proposition!

P.S. And best of all, someday someone will hike down that same trail and find a whole trail of lost EDC gear! And you never know, but they might even sign-up here on EDCF as a new member and contract the same affliction as the rest of us here!!

So, I guess it's really a Win-Win and WIN proposition!

I'm here all week, folks. Remember to tip your cocktail waitresses and bartenders. I will find my own way out, thank you.

:D

PragmaticMurphyist and ramjet like this.
  13. ramjet

ramjet Loaded Pockets

Jeezus that was funny!
    Here I was thinking you were going to mention the obvious, using a bigger “torch” ie… Maglite. But yes, being the edc Santa leaving “gifts” around the world works too….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. RogerStenning

RogerStenning EDC Junkie

:rofl:

OK, that's on the list, along with such replies as "roof rack on a helicopter", and "f**t in a hurricane" :rofl:

15. Exploriment

Exploriment Loaded Pockets

I bought one of their FR1 pouches years ago. Besides several other modifications I made to it, that came off straightaway.