1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

How do you use a 'torch lair'?!

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by Brewer, Feb 27, 2019.

1. Brewer

Brewer Loaded Pockets

Maxpedition have this feature on a lot of their bags, it's a horizontal sleeve, open at both ends, with some elastic cord over it.

They advertise it as being perfect for flashlights, but I disagree - I find it really insecure, and it also lacks any kind of versatility - I just can't find a good application for it, so it's just wasted real-esrtate IMHO.

Just curious to know if there are any fans out there or if you've found a good alternative use for it?

chaosmagnet likes this.
  2. Jay-uk

Jay-uk Loaded Pockets

Great question
    I've found if you have the maxped Janus ,the Janus extension strap goes behind the Torch lair then its acts like a Janus docking bay

GoBliNuke likes this.
  3. Brewer

Brewer Loaded Pockets

Good idea. I do have a Janus and I'll give it a try, but I suspect it might be a bit bulky and obstruct access to the compartment below it on my Remora.

I've had a couple of mod ideas:

1. Stick some velcro to the bag wall inside the lair and make up some elastic & velcro retainer straps that attach to it and come round to the loop field on the front. Then use them to secure, for example, a powerbank or a slim spectacles case inside the lair.

2. Sew up both ends of the lair and install a zipper along the top, to turn it into a secure pocket for smal items.

4. tbzbbt

tbzbbt Loaded Pockets

I agree, it’s as much use as a chocolate sun hat. All my things of that size either need horizontal pockets: sunglasses, phone, mini flashlight; or vertical lashing: big knife, water bottle, umbrella or walking poles. A conspicuous folly.

Tbzbbt

5. phatch

phatch Loaded Pockets

pens small lights or knives clip there well.

many smaller fixed blades also fit there nicely, just the handle protruding. lash through the mounting holes to make it draw cleanly from the sheath

bandana folded up, glasses cloth, cord storage, nitrile gloves, garbage sack, card wrapped in duct tape...

chaosmagnet likes this.
  6. Brewer

Brewer Loaded Pockets

But with the exception of anything you've actually lashed there - like a knife sheath - isn't everything else at risk of just falling out the ends?! I realise the bungee cord helps to increase friction, but is that really enough for you to feel confident it'll all still be there at the end of the day?

I'm not trying to be argumentative, but essentially we are talking about a horizontal pocket with no form of closure - I just can't imagine storing anything there!

Jay-uk likes this.
  7. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

I'm with you, I don't like any sort of pocket or pouch that doesn't have a zip or velcro flap to help retain items. So many times my wife points to a nice jacket, fleece, hoodie etc but when they don't have secure pockets, I'm not interested.

8. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

I admit I can not even imagine what we are talking about here?
    I am pretty into bags too.

Any pics of this odd sounding feature?

JHGM likes this.
  9. Brewer

Brewer Loaded Pockets

10. Brewer

Brewer Loaded Pockets

11. flux

flux Loaded Pockets

This seems like the best way to lose your flashlights on a daily basis.
    Too bad certain words aren't allowed here, I would have a few for this idea.

12. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Seems idiotic to me?
    Is there some form of retention in there that I am just not seeing?

13. Brewer

Brewer Loaded Pockets

No. There are just two walls of cordura - TEFLON COATED mind you, for extra slip - and an elastic cinching cord. Some versions do have a velcro loop field running through there, like in the green Colossus above, but many don't.

I've tried to find a way to use it but it really behaves exactly the way you'd expect it to. What I find really interesting is how some folks reckon it works for them - I guess those folks have better control of their stuff, and aren't perturbed by it? Or maybe they carry the bag more loaded and everything is a tighter fit anyway?

Last edited by Brewer, Mar 1, 2019
    #13 Brewer, Mar 1, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2019
  14. JHGM

JHGM Dinosaur Supervisor

Looks like it would be perfect for one of those mini-umbrellas...

And not much else.

15. RoboSim

RoboSim Loaded Pockets

Torch Lair.
    Flashlight Cave.
    Light Sleeve.
    Lamp Lock.
    LED Shed.

What will they think of next?!?!

We need to make the function of carrying a flashlight as sexy and mysterious as possible!!

#15 RoboSim, Mar 1, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2019
    EZDog and JHGM like this.
  16. HeadOffice

HeadOffice Loaded Pockets

Perhaps a shemagh or a hank of paracord but that's about it. Otherwise it looks like a really easy way to lose a flashlight...

17. bnate

bnate Loaded Pockets

...and to add, I don't put any trust into bungie / elastic materials. From sun, stretch, age, etc, they just don't hold up to hard use in the field.

18. Jay-uk

Jay-uk Loaded Pockets

Same , I hold to much value on my things and like them secured double secure where able

19. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

That is just bizarre?
    Who would consider this a good idea?

20. Brewer

Brewer Loaded Pockets

Hey guys it seems that a few of you agree with me on the feature, but I don't want to come across as insulting to those that do like it - I believe them when they say it works for them, and many of the reviews seem to praise it, I'm just curious to understand why it works for some and not others?

As for the elastic cord, personally I'd trust it to hold on to something like a light rain jacket for example, where the cinching action 'bites in' to the bunched up fabric to make for a pretty secure grip. Also if it DID become detached, an item of clothing is a lot less likely to slip away out of sight than a knife or flashlight might. But threading an item of clothing through it seems like a pain, it would be much easier if it had a clip or buckle that could open?