1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

How do you sharpen?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Water-Rat, Mar 22, 2014.

?

How do you sharpen your knives?

1. Sharpening Stone

57 vote(s)
    41.6%
  2. Pull-through sharpener

10 vote(s)
    7.3%
  3. Clamp system (Lansky)

30 vote(s)
    21.9%
  4. Stones at a set angle (Sharpmaker)

51 vote(s)
    37.2%
  5. Electric Sharpener

6 vote(s)
    4.4%
  6. pocket sized stone or rod

18 vote(s)
    13.1%
  7. Ask or pay someone to sharpen for you

3 vote(s)
    2.2%
  8. Other

31 vote(s)
    22.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Ace Krampus

Ace Krampus Loaded Pockets

Growing up, I had a series of pull through sharpeners, and I would use the fine/ceramic side, totally ignoring the carbide mangler side, and that did a job. Relatively recently I snagged a Smith's diamond sharpener that I paid $15 bones for. Took a while to figure out what the hell I was doing but the results have been extraordinary.

2. ghuns

ghuns Loaded Pockets

I am a toolmaker by trade. Give me a handful of stones and I can fit a square peg into a round hole. I have always sharpened my own knives, but recently bought a ZT 0300 that was sent to guy and sharpened using the Wicked Edge sharpener. He charges $10 for up to 5 inch blades and for another $5, will mirror polish the edge. The ZT that he sharpened will cleanly slice toilet paper. That's something I have never been able to do with my collection of Arkansas stones.

3. neginfluence04

neginfluence04 Loaded Pockets

I've always been into firearm and never given blades much thought until about a year ago when I bought my first spyderco. After that I was hooked and have slowly started collecting knives like I have firearms. Like I said I'm new to knives and just recently found a sharpener that I love. I'm currently using the Lansky Diamond sharpening kit with their 1,000 grit stone and their 2,000 grit stone. I've found with that and a strop that I'm able to get a mirror polish and razor sharp edge on all of my knives.

4. neginfluence04

neginfluence04 Loaded Pockets

5. TDX90

TDX90 Loaded Pockets

Spyderco Sharpmaker here for 75% of the sharpening duties. I also purchased the ultra fine rods to go along with the medium and fine rods that come with the kit. I love it so far although reprofiling takes a very long time. If I need to reprofile anything now I hand it off to a friend of mine with a wicked edge pro pack 2. Then I can maintain it with the sharpmaker. I have 2 credit card size DMT diamond stones that I use for quick touch-ups when I am camping. I also have a little otterbox setup for convexing.

6. pathwinder14

pathwinder14 Loaded Pockets

Well usually I don't sharpen. I just hone and strop. If you take good care of your knife you only have to sharpen it once. From then on you just touch up the edge with a diamond rod and strop. If you do that regularly you will never need to resharpen, unless you abuse your edge.

When I sharpen I use small pocket sized Arkansas stones of varying grits.

7. Mike R

Mike R Loaded Pockets

I use a 2-sided Japanese water stone and a homemade strop with green compound on one side, plain leather on the other. I don't have a whole lot of practice but I can get a knife sharp enough to be useful. Not hair-popping sharp, though.

I intend to get a Sharpmaker at some point.

8. de Vries
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

de Vries EDC Junkie!!!

Where did you get the compounds?

9. Here Comes The BOOM

Here Comes The BOOM EDC Junkie!!!!!

I currently use a stropping paddle that came "loaded" with green & red compound, some guy I know from a dutch bushcraft forum makes them. He sells them on Marktplaats as well, I'll see if I can find a link & post it here. But you can find stropping compounds on ebay too. I tried leaving you a link here but the forum software blocked it. If you search on ebay for "polishing compound" you'll find it though. Mine came from a UK-seller. Come to think of it, I got more of the green compound than I'll ever need, if you want some for the costs of shipping just send me a pm.

ps: I couldn't find the guy on Marktplaats anymore, apparently he either stopped making them or stopped selling them there. I can send him an email to see if he still sells them if you're interested though, just send me a pm if you want me to contact him for you.

10. de Vries
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

de Vries EDC Junkie!!!

Thanks for the offer!
    Just found a detailed instruction on knife sharpening using various methods and materials, including ground roof tiles. Guess I'll read that first and know the basics before I start.

11. BarksAtCats
    • In Omnia Paratus

BarksAtCats Loaded Pockets

Anything that is harder than the steel your blade is made of will sharpen your knife. The trick is to use the correct angle and to start with a coarser grit and move to a finer grit. For example, if you have a ceramic coffee cup in your house, you will find that the bottom has a rough 'ring' around the edge. if you drag the edge of your blade across that ring, you will see gray grit left there. That is because the ceramic is harder than the steel and is sharpening your knife. You can start with the coarser 'ring' and finish with some strokes on the glazed lip of the mug or the handle (the glazed part of the mug will be a finer 'grit'. It will still take off a tiny bit of steel but probably not enough for you to notice. Still, don't use the mug to drink from until after you've washed it thoroughly.) I generally use a diamond stone (or a diamond rod) and a tungsten dowel but again, just about anything will work to sharpen your knives. Check out You Tube for some instructional videos on sharpening and stropping. Also, Google 'knife edges' for an explanation of what things like 'convex grind', 'chisel grind,' and 'scandi grind' mean. If you are looking to begin freehand sharpening, I would suggest purchasing a VERY inexpensive knife (for instance, something for less than $10 at Target) and practicing on that until you get more confident. I hope this helps. :)

Shawn Ogg likes this.
  12. Here Comes The BOOM

Here Comes The BOOM EDC Junkie!!!!!

Roof tiles aye? How does that work?

Just as a heads up though, I'm leaving the country in a week or 4 and probably won't be back until the end of the summer, in case you want to take me up at a later time.

13. IMightBeWrong

IMightBeWrong Loaded Pockets

I use a water stone and a sharp maker depending on how lazy I am.

Water-Rat likes this.
  14. roessletb

roessletb Loaded Pockets

I have an Edge Pro and it works well, but I use my SharpMaker and a strop 99% of the time.

Water-Rat likes this.
  15. StuntZombie

StuntZombie Loaded Pockets

I was using wet/dry sandpaper mostly, but I've gone back to using the Sharpmaker again. Once the Cubic Boron Nitride stones are released, I won't have much need for anything else.

Water-Rat likes this.
  16. moostapha

moostapha Loaded Pockets

I "learned" how to use a whetstone from an old boss. His knives were just about sharp enough to shave with. Mine don't get quite that sharp, which I'm sure is a matter of practice and equipment.

I have a whetstone set...thing (no guides our anything) that doesn't seem fine enough to get a really sharp edge. I also recently got a spyderco sharpmaker, which I think I like. I'm thinking about getting the other surfaces for it (a coarser set and an extra fine set) to reshape worse knives and get sharper on the ones I care more about (my pocket knives and kitchen knives). But I'm wondering if that's the right way to go.

Any thoughts?

sent from a device without a real keyboard, sorry for things that don't make sense.

17. Water-Rat

Water-Rat Loaded Pockets

18. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

Merged :)

I too use a stone but recently got The WORK SHARP

19. moostapha

moostapha Loaded Pockets

I have no idea why that didn't come up in search. Thanks.

sent from a device without a real keyboard, sorry for things that don't make sense.

SAKplumber likes this.
  20. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

The search drives me batty! You have to spell it EXACTLY the same and check the right box:rolleyes: