1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

How do you sharpen?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Water-Rat, Mar 22, 2014.

?

How do you sharpen your knives?

1. Sharpening Stone

57 vote(s)
    41.6%
  2. Pull-through sharpener

10 vote(s)
    7.3%
  3. Clamp system (Lansky)

30 vote(s)
    21.9%
  4. Stones at a set angle (Sharpmaker)

51 vote(s)
    37.2%
  5. Electric Sharpener

6 vote(s)
    4.4%
  6. pocket sized stone or rod

18 vote(s)
    13.1%
  7. Ask or pay someone to sharpen for you

3 vote(s)
    2.2%
  8. Other

31 vote(s)
    22.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. SpyderPrepper

SpyderPrepper Loaded Pockets

Benchstones (Arkansas, Carborundrum, Water Stones) and a series of strops are usually sufficient to bring out a hair popping edge on my blades. I do have a sharpmaker, but I tend to use this more for touching up my Wusthof kitchen knives rather than my pocket knives. The sharpmaker also works wonders on serrated blades.

I've used arkansas stones for almost 15 years (I learned to sharpen at 10, currently 25 haha), but I will begrudgingly admit that water stones are faster, especially with high end stainless like S30V. That being said, I have a beautiful black arkansas stone that I will never give up.

My next stone purchase will probably be a couple Naniwa Choseras, mostly because I'm fascinated with traditional japanese kitchen knives and their sharpening procedures.

Water-Rat likes this.
  2. JustinJ
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

JustinJ Loaded Pockets

I use a little pocket arkansas stone once every so often, but I don't need to use it much as I strop once a week or so on a leather belt and/or rolled up magazine. from all the good things I'm hearing about the sharpmaker, I'm strongly considering one.

Water-Rat likes this.
  3. FenixArcher

FenixArcher EDC Junkie!!!

Stone.
    Occasionally I'll run a knife through on of those pull through sharpeners if the edge is in terrible condition (otherwise, I hate pull through "quick" sharpeners).
    I want a Spyderco Sharpmaker.
    Have heard nothin but good things about em.

Water-Rat likes this.
  4. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

I am interested in convexing my other blades and this sounds like a great product. I checked the pda booklet that comes with the unit and there is no mention of convex in it. Are you freehanding the edge on the belt in grinding position?

5. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

Here are my homemade strops, with Bark River Compound.

[​IMG]

And here is a recent post I made in the "Who likes "odd" blade shapes?" thread that shows my two sided India Stone..

I still want something easier for re-grinding V-grinds to Convex Grinds.

Also still need a method for serrated blades.

6. Montani

Montani Loaded Pockets

Found the sharpmaker a year ago and have been using it since, along with the diamond and ultra fine rods.

7. atilano

atilano Loaded Pockets

Nope. Just following the instructions to the letter. Look on page 8 of the user manual for a short discussion on convex edges and why they are better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SAKplumber likes this.
  8. RBid

RBid Loaded Pockets

Spyderco Sharpmaker. Found it on accident when I dropped into the brick & mortar location for one of the online dealers. I stopped in to look at a folder, left with the Sharpmaker instead. Great buy. Easy to use, works great. This is keeping me from blowing money on more folders.

If you don't carry it every day, it's not every day carry.

Water-Rat likes this.
  9. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Mumbojumboo EDC Junkie!!!!!

I was apprehensive about convex blades but I came around.

SAKplumber likes this.
  10. Greco
    • In Omnia Paratus

Greco Loaded Pockets

My brother has a worksharp and it is absolutely the best sharpener I have ever used. Worth every penny.

Sent from my electronic device that sends things.....

SAKplumber likes this.
  11. 8steve88

8steve88 Loaded Pockets

I have several of the Lansky sets plus bench stones and pocket sized touch up stones.
    The Lansky gets used a lot to set an initial edge then the various bench stones and pocket stones and a steel to maintain the edges.
    I also use a strop, before stones and hones I try the strop to see if it will bring the edge back, if not then stones and hones then finish on the strop, stropping can maintain the edge quite well.
    The only things I prefer not to strop are slip joints where the direction of stropping will tend to close the blade, I'm not saying it can't be done but you have to be very careful. The newer type of Chinese notch lock where the blade is held by liner pressure and a detent ball on either side are strong enough to take a gentle stropping, protect your hand until you're sure how much the mechanism on a particular knife will take.

12. RichinVA

RichinVA Loaded Pockets

I started years ago with a Carborundum, then went to Indias and Arkansas.......got a Tormek from my dad, used it for a bit. Then an Edge Pro Apex, then an Edge Pro Pro. I still use the Pro, depending on the task, but 95% of knives are done freehand on waterstones, and I rarely go above 5k for EDC knives, altho' my kitchen stuff gets a higher grit, especially the Aogami Super. I also strop, but very lightly, and I mean light. I've pretty much come full circle, except with different stones........

<<< Even when the world is at peace, a gentleman always keeps a blade at his side.
    -The Strategies of Wu. >>>

flatblackcapo likes this.
  13. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

Page 8 shows the guy hook sharpening on the blue belt. I take it that you are meaning that you turn the machine that way to sharpen convex? TIA.

14. atilano

atilano Loaded Pockets

No. I think we are looking at different documents. Basically, the WorkSharp automatically makes a convex edge because of the way the belt wraps around your knife. It would be very difficult, if not impossible to get a flat edge when using the WS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

I see. I assumed that the attached guides put an angle on the blade if you didn't press too hard. I am thinking that the convex edge would be a pretty freehand guesstimation ;)

You feel it does a good job?

Also, I had to remove the link, and I couldn't get the page to open anyway. Could you please PM me the link again? Thanks.

16. that_stupid_kydd

that_stupid_kydd Loaded Pockets

i got the spyderco sharpmaker and it works for me. i do own a flat stone but after countless tries i have been unable to keep a steady enough hand to keep a consistent angle and actually get a knife sharp so when i heard about the sharpmaker i jumped at it. i would love to be able to use the flat stone so i will eventually learn how to do it because it is a good skill to know but for now the sharpmaker works fine

17. MedusaOblongata

MedusaOblongata Loaded Pockets

Both the Lansky and Sharpmaker can sharpen serrated blades.

SAKplumber likes this.
  18. Tireguy90

Tireguy90 Loaded Pockets

Spyderco sharpmaker is amazing! The DVD that comes with it explains how to sharpen all kinds of different blade styles. It makes it really easy to get the angle right every time, which I struggled with on my whet stone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

19. Squarebox
    • In Omnia Paratus

Squarebox Loaded Pockets

Depending on the knife I sharpening.
    Sharpmaker - Victorinox, multitools and tiny knives
    Edgepro - Any knife bigger than a Dragonfly2

I really love the Sharpmaker. It's quick and easy to touch up my knives but if I've time to spare, I'd always pick the edgepro.

20. flatblackcapo

flatblackcapo EDC Junkie!!!!!

I never sharpen them , just throw it away when it gets dull and buy a new one.;)
    Really, I use what is called the Washboard sharpening system. Google " Heavthanded Washboard sharpening system"
    [​IMG]
    You can wrap whatever abrasive you like over it. about 90% of the time I use 400* Rhynowet sandpaper and then strop with stropping compound on printer paper. Martin ( the maker) can explain it much better than I can .
    This is 1 of 4 . Martin also has more vids explaining knife sharpening.

Water-Rat, SAKplumber and farnorthdan like this.