1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

How do you guys travel.

Discussion in 'First Aid Station' started by Kripto, Jan 13, 2015.

1. Kripto

Kripto Evil Sid

.. with insulin pens..

I've recently been diagnosed as needing to take insulin. At the moment, I'm on a medium dose and only taking it once a day.. But I'm traveling next week and need to keep extra pens with me. I'll be on a plane for many hours so the extra pens will need to be refrigerated. Once I get to my destination, I'll have a room fridge so storing there isn't a worry.

What do you guys recommend for chilled long term traveling?

Thanks!

2. radar45

radar45 Loaded Pockets

Hi, I am type 2 non insulin at the moement but may hace to go on insulin after the results of my next blood test. I am traveling from Western Australia to vancouver, Canada in June this year for hoidays and was wondring the same qustions you have asked
    Regards radar45

3. Rod82

Rod82 Empty Pockets

Usually pens are good for 30 days unrefrigerated, dependant on how hot they get, a few hours, a day even shouldn't matter, again depending on brand of insulin.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

4. Kripto

Kripto Evil Sid

Thank you Rod82 :)
    After speaking with my counselor, she basically said to calculate the dosage and bring one extra pen, as you said, they can last 30 days out of the cold. At some point, I'm going to have to put a kit together that will hold the tester, strips, pricker, insulin and needles. Or am I better off having separate kits..

5. Rod82

Rod82 Empty Pockets

Did you not get a kit when you were diagnosed? You can buy a pen carrier that holds three I think, run water over it and it keeps them cool for up to 3 days maybe. Can't for the life of me remember what they're called!

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

6. Kripto

Kripto Evil Sid

I was only prescribed the insulin (they even kind of screwed that up, I got 5 pens and 2 vials) because they can't take back meds, they wouldn't let me swap out the vials for more pens, so I had to get syringes as well. So my plan was go through the pens and then use the vials and refill the pens.. I bought a Frio pack (run water over type) which was an additional $30! (crazy) that I'm going to take the two unused pens in.. When I get to the hotel, I'll transfer them to the fridge so what ever I don't use will be fine.

I started at 20u but have quickly ramped up to 46 (tonight) and will be 50 by my trip.. Since the pens are 300u, they should last the week. (though I will likely be at 60u daily.. (sugars are still out of whack)

On the upside, when my doctor looked at my numbers he congratulated me for not having any major sugar related complications! (bonus! ;) )

7. munkynut454

munkynut454 Loaded Pockets

As far as I am aware... Any medication can be carried on airlines as long as it has prescription labels on it.

If you need to keep your kit cold on a plane just ask the crew to stick it in the chiller. Otherwise some freeze packs in a lunch cooler might be an idea.

Check with your carrier. Most of the big airlines are helpful if you speak nicely.

8. Tegan's Dad
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Tegan's Dad Loaded Pockets

My sister-in-law recently had an issue with freeze packs on an airline. I think hers were specific for a leg brace. My brother suggested she thaw them out for the trip because they may not let them on the plane frozen. When they got to TSA, it was the opposite. If they had been frozen, then they weren't a liquid and would have been fine. Since they weren't frozen any more, then they were liquid and above the limit to carry on.

It could have just been the agent they had, but I think it would be good advice to go early and ask.